The General

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 48 and haven't bought a vintage bike since I was in my early 20's. However, during that phase, I bought 4 Monarks, an Elgin, Hiawatha, and a wooden rim bicycle. Also acquired pieces and parts along the way. I started work in a hardware store that had a Schwinn franchise when i was 13 and have always enjoyed bicycles.
Fast forward to the present, I pulled out the basket case Monark General and figured it was time. Its missing the tanks, rear fender, a few incorrect parts, and is a repaint. The original paint is not under the house paint. Since I'm into hotrods and custom and vintage motorcycles, I have decided to build a stripped down fun rider. The rims were chrome and was poorly sand blasted off when I got it. I carefully disassembled the wheels and put the spokes in storage. I painted the rims ivory and laced them up with spokes from Husky. The crank was bent and twisted. I heated it up with a rose bud tip and straightened it up. The frame will be burgundy and ivory. Having fun! More progress on the horizon.
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

Stik

I had a nice Royal Chain tire I cleaned up for the front and put an Innova on the rear
Stik

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 219
I played hooky from sanding on the frame yesterday and worked on building a bike stand frame. Last week, I got a Parktool clamp bought on ebay. I then made the locking device on lathe. Yesterday, I rounded up some steel and made the stand. It will get cleaned and painted after I use it a while. I'm pretty happy as I always wanted a decent stand.Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg

Today I got to go for a ride! I finished making the truss rods yesterday and put the bike together last night and this morning. Like most projects, not completely finished, yet was able to take it out for a few miles. I am really having fun. Waiting for a different seat and need to find some vintage pedals. The gear ratio is a bit high. I wish I could find a 21t rear for the New Departure so I can retain the classic Monark front. Probably just live with it. Life is Good!
Webp.net-resizeimage (23).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (24).jpg

I had to go look at a motorcycle in my storage unit and in an old cardboard box, i found some goodies. The missing fender and tanks for the General! I now have rounded up both fenders, tanks, chain guard, and rack. Since I like the bike stripped down, I think I will just use the tanks, two tone them and get a horn. The switch is on the tank, but horn is gone. Could be a cool look for now.
118240323_348788759611392_6845937528589205241_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back