'59 Schwinn 'strandie' 3 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A little while ago, I acquired this '59 cantilever Schwinn in a trade. It was complete, fenders, proper forks and bars, ect. Only problem was, the forks and bars were twisted. It had been repainted at some point in its life, so I'm not sure what model it is. I had been wanting to learn to build wheels for awhile. And my fiance had gotten me some hoops I'd been eyeing for Christmas. So, here's what I did with what I had --

image1 (8).JPG

image2 (7).JPG

Frame as mentioned.
Fork is sunlite
Repop suntour style stem (soon to swap to black)
SE big honking cruiser bars/ mushroom grips
Mesinger saddle (w/ wald 18" seat post)
Alienation PBR hoops, Suzue sealed front hub, Shimano Nexus 3 rear
70's shimano 3 speed shifter
vp pedals
Schwinn crank/chainring (will most likly be swapped out soon)
KMC chain.

Man, I can't wait to build more wheels!

What tires are those...they look quite, meaty :)

Jason
They're sunlite 'sandy beach' 26 x 2.5. The clearance is juuuust barely at the chain stays.

I'd picked them up for another build. But i liked the black walls on the black hoops:113: max psi is 50, which is pretty nice on a tire that big. Sunlite also makes a tire in 2.5 called Revolutions that goes up to 85psi that I originally wanted, but was out of stock at the time.

Lil update on this one. I’d been wanting to swap out the sunlite fork since I built it. I recently swapped the fork on my Emory from a chrome Akisu to a black Schwinn one, freeing up the Akisu. And I’d stolen the bars off this for my Kona. So my three speed here needed some love.
Added the mentioned fork, some moto bars, and a Mr. Tick layback seatpost.

7275C565-4DDA-4852-B5D8-37677768F94D.jpeg

0CE6EBAC-9194-45D5-BDC3-8AECD47BD4C9.jpeg

These forks have a little more rake to em then the previous. Making the space between the downtube and the tire more ‘equal’ throughout and more aesthetically pleasing. At least to my eye.
I’ve gone back and forth on swapping the crank and or chainring. But I like it as is. We’ll see as time goes on. I’d like a better stem at some point too. We’ll see.

It is really close to coppertone. I think its a little more oragne. Its almost a candy paint with some metal flake to it. The guy I got the frame from paints cars. Said he had sprayed this years ago. I'll get a pic today in the sun if I can. I try and do a comparison with an OG paint coppertone Schwinn.

Latest posts

Back