1940-41 Gamble's Badged Curve-Bar - She's Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So jealous... This is a fantastic project - but please get that ugly, bad weld redone properly by a certified TIG'er.

Don't worry I'm gonna do some Dremel work on it, see if I can smooth it out.

You may want to pick up a pneumatic die grinder...that weld may have a dremel screaming for mercy :grin:.

I love those curved Elgin's, hopefully I'll run across one some day.

Jason

I picked up a titanium cutting bits for my Dremel, so far it seems to be going well. We'll see I'm going to try clean up first and see if it's hopeless. If so I'll just cut all the weld off with the Dremel cutting wheels.

20180509_111120.jpg

Well cleanup went better than expected, this guy right here. He's the bike doctor, I've taken a lot of messed up bikes for Weld Repair to him over the years. He's in the process of retiring so I didn't bug him for the repair in the first place. But I've learned my lesson not to trust somebody I haven't worked with before, anyway he said there wasn't much he could do in the terms of fixing the bad weld. So he just slapped it down on his workbench and went ham with the sanding wheel.

He told me the weld was perfectly fine it was just ugly, so he cleaned it up as best as he could. And I have now been painting and sanding the bare metal parts from the sanding on the BB shell. I'll post pics soon of the finished product.

IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

So this turned out fantastic, you really can't tell it was ever broken in my opinion. I couldn't match the original paint perfectly, in the end it turned out way better then expected.

Looks good: now how about the fit of the cups? My builds have always required upgrading to a modern bearing cup

she's staying as original as I can get away with. The cups that were in the bike when I got it went right back in with no hassle.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Well she's done, turned out awesome. Lots of tedious work but it was 100% worth it.

Figured I'd tag you here so you can see the little details of the bike @MazdaFlyer the fork came off a 41-42 girls Elgin. The original Fork was severely bent so I replaced it. Mines also badged as a Gamble's Hiawatha, a few guys on the Cabe forms and here on ratrodbikes said they had never seen a Gamble's Hiawatha badged Murray curve bar before.

Just caught up on this beauty!
Excellent work! I love the curved bar long tanks.
I have all of the parts for one, just have to decide when to build it out.

Latest posts

Back