Shop Tip for October

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those fortunate enough to possess a Park TM-1 tensiometer will tell you that the same box also contains a nifty little gauge for quickly determining spoke diameter--a gauge no one sells as a separate item. Consequently, us lesser mortals have been stuck guessing or breaking out a clumsy set of calipers. Not anymore.

I created the image below using Sketchup 3-D modeling software and it should render quite accurately on most printers. Paste it onto a rigid substrate, then carefully cut/grind/file the notches right up to the lines. The resulting measurements may not be perfect, but adequate for a go/no go device. Just an opinion, but I feel the SBC-1 blue ruler ought to come with these same notches already included.

SpokeGauge.png

I thought about that, after the fact. Shouldn't be difficult to add gauge numbers to the file--I'll do that ASAP. Even the genuine tool doesn't have that feature.

My spoke ruler has the guage built in. Ill get the brand later.

Please. I'd be curious to know. There are a few European models (DT/Swiss?) that have the spoke notch, but may be missing other features. I'd gladly trade my near useless cotter sizer.

Please. I'd be curious to know. There are a few European models (DT/Swiss?) that have the spoke notch, but may be missing other features. I'd gladly trade my near useless cotter sizer.
I got the ruler from Mr. Rabbit, http://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyfleming.php but googled cnspoke and it looks like you can buy from them.

Check out Mr Rabbit, cool guy, you have to request an account, but good prices and service.
20171011_191450.jpg

20171011_190643.jpg

Your ruler certainly looks like a quality item. Unfortunately, the spoke must actually pass through it to take the gauge measurement--that won't work on an assembled wheel. In that situation, notches are better.

Latest posts

Back