Hawthorne De Luxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hello... This is the oldest bike I have owned. I don't know who can help me date it. These are not really my style.
Thank you for any help or info.
20170731_155453.jpg
20170731_155509_Burst01.jpg

Here's a pretty similar bike to yours, same badge, not sure it it's the same exact bike. The ad's for a 1928 Hawthorne Flyer. I'd guess yours would be late 20's to early 30's. I had a '35 and yours appears to be older. Something may be broken on your forks, the head tube maybe? You'd have to take it apart to see.
1928%20Hawthorne%20Flyer%20page.jpg

Upper headset cup/cone/locknut appear to be horked-up. Further investigation would be needed to determine the cause. The truss rods might be the only thing preventing the fork & stem from separating.

Hopefully, only the cast-iron stem has rusted away; are castings weaker than rolled steel. These were short stems which I believe were intended to be fully inserted as far as they could go. Most forks that I have with these stems are bulged below the threads, perhaps from over-tightening.

Latest posts

Back