Post Traumatic Super Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike is unlike anything I have seen before. As best as I can tell it was VERY CLOSE to a fire. My best theory is that it was leaning up against a building that was next to a building that caught on fire. The paint is far from perfect but doesn't have the kind of damage you might expect from high temps. EVERYTHING plastic on the bike melted just a bit but not enough to totally distroy them. The medallions crystalized but the most amazing part is that the shroud itself actually melted. At first I wondered how that could even be possible but as it turns out the shrouds were made ou of pot metal.

I am not sure what level I am going to take this to. Might just clean it and replace a few missing bits, or might give it an acid bath and look for replacement crome. Either way I have a couple of period correct custom touches to set it apart.
20170508_134858 (1).jpg
20170508_135544.jpg
20170508_135555 (1).jpg
20170508_135609 (1).jpg
20170508_135627.jpg
20170508_135631.jpg

It's gonna look good with a little TLC

That is wild what it did to the shroud, but the half baked paint still looks good.

I jumped into this build off thinking the parts I need might be expensive but that they should be fairly easy to find. NOT THE CASE! I have in my posession a seat and replacement wheels and tires. I have deals in the works for the shroud and rear tombstone but it might be another 2 weeks before I see them.

I still plan to get this one done in time it just might be last minute.

We had a swap yesterday and I had parts coming in from all over. Still haven't found grips but I will figure something out. None of the parts are in excellent shape but neither is the bike.
20170724_224745.jpg

Were have you been?
Tick tock

The shroud I picked up was covered in brown house paint. It comes off fairly easily but I am undecided about what to do with the badge. Debating on leaving the brown paint on the badge as I am not sure I can get the brown off without taking the original paint as well. Another option is to swap over the badge from the melted one but the rivets may never look factory again. Any thoughts???????

20170724_233046.jpg

I kind of like the badge left brown. It is offset by the unpainted frame around it. Stands out.

The shroud I picked up was covered in brown house paint. It comes off fairly easily but I am undecided about what to do with the badge. Debating on leaving the brown paint on the badge as I am not sure I can get the brown off without taking the original paint as well. Another option is to swap over the badge from the melted one but the rivets may never look factory again. Any thoughts???????

View attachment 56918

That house paint is probably not adhered as strong as the badge paint. You could probably even delicately scrape of just the brown paint with the dull edge of an exacto knife.

My plan to get all the parts and then throw it all together quickly, is not going quite as smoothly as I would have likes. Discovered I need new bearings for the head tube and snapped a screw attaching the rear reflector, but the seat shroud and tombstone are all in place. Moving right along.....

20170725_230529.jpg

Lookin good !

Smooth as sand paper is about how It's going for me too ! Good luck man pressures on now [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be awesome for a Wicked Witch build.

Latest posts

Back