Pedal Bearings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am rebuilding an old set of Torrington pedals and would like to replace the bearings on both ends as some of the balls are falling out. Does anyone know of a source for replacements? I'll try to get pictures soon.

Thanks, Fred

most hardware stores have loose ball bearings, If I remember right they are 5/16" but double check to make sure..

Mine have the "holder" they're not loose......

Can you pop them out with your fingers? Unless the cages are all messed up, I just clean 'em with solvent and replace the individual balls with new ones. Worst case...ditch the cages and run the bearings loose; just don't crowd them together.

BTW, I think Scrumblero meant to say 5/32". I make that mistake all the time.

Here's another discussion:
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/torrington-pedal-bearings.102879/

How about the bolts that run through the rubber parts-any sources out there for them? LuxLow has new bearings at a reasonable price. Just thinkin......

How about the bolts
The bolts on some of my pedals (worn) will turn and others (less worn) do not; none fall out of the outside plate. It seems like they are press fit into a ~5/16" hole in the outside plate, and then were peened for tightening. Kind of like a carriage bolt/hole, but not square(?).
I guess that one could measure the exact size, and adapt all-thread, some shoulder bolts, or tap threads on some steel rods. I have seen some 1/4" x 4" long shoulder bolts, but 1/4" might be too wide for the rubber blocks(?). The rubber could also be reamed or drilled, but that might make them weaker too(?).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172731438311
Not sure if my pedal bolts are metric, maybe 10-32 UNF(?).

Last edited:
meant to say 5/32
Actually, 3/16" bearings may be the size.

I found on my pedals this weekend, that non-turn keyed washer and locknut (jam nut) are also important pieces to have.
Axle threads may be uncommon 1/4-30 UNS (or metric?) at the non-fixed cone end.
...as some of the balls are falling out.
Repair may be possible if the balls are falling out of their retainers (only), but if the balls are falling out of the pedals, that may mean that the cups and cones are well beyond repair.

Last edited:
Any bike shop or hardware store should have appropriately sized bearings. If the bearings are in a battered cage, you can usually just throw the cage away and add a bearing.

Latest posts

Back