CWC "Gargoyle" Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Going to try for my first build off and hoping to have it finished by the deadline. Anyways here goes...

1930s? CWC/Roadmaster Cycle Truck

Doing the build as a 1930s Mobiloil station bicycle. Bicycle will be done for coolness and not correctness lol. Had the frame given to me years ago and it has always sat until now.

I sandblasted the frame last week and just finished applying the red paint to the frame. Got a few more pieces of the puzzle coming down the line for blasting and paint as well but this is where she's at...

IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome frame to start with.

"Will be built for coolness, not correctness". Love it! You sir, have found the right site. Welcome to the most fun on the internet, and the best community you'll find.

RaT oN!

It's odd for me to say that when most of my bicycle background comes from stingrays and krates where originality and correctness is king. This will be a different type of experience for me to say the least lol. For any unaware of the theme this is it...

IMG_0237.PNG

Last edited:
Hit a snag already concerning my front fork. I had one made from 2 forks prior to finding an actual Schwinn cycle truck fork on eBay. Problem with the one I had made is that it doesn't have any drop stand mounts and the problem with the Schwinn forks headtube length is still too long and the drop outs are enclosed which makes putting on any rim difficult. Have to decide between butchering something that goes against my style or progressing forward with the fork I'll had made and go in an alternative route with a kickstand. Hmmm

Stay with your custom fork and try to come up with a drop stand mount? I am on the same page when comes to customizing stuff, have to find that fine line where parts are valuable/usable or trashed/junk to make the decision whether or not to start hacking away. An OG Schwinn Cycletruck fork is one of those, aint no way in heck I am cutting or modifying this thing type of parts, in my mind anyways, if its in good shape and not super rusty, bent, and on deaths doorstep...

keep the rubber side down!

Awesome! Lookin' forward to this! :D I have two RM CT's and can't find anyone that doesn't have a big 'ol smile when they get off one. If I ever hit the lottery I'll buy a OG basket for one.

Think I got the fork figured out. Took some stuff to work today and played around in the tool room. Think I'm just going to weld some nuts on the fork and have a dropstand. Got the front fender off of a girls Tornado and the chainguard was bought off the forums. Fender and fork got blasted today chainguard will be tomorrow. Had a Schwinn Mag sprocket that I had chromed a long time ago and they made the teeth too thick. Sanded them down and am going to try and use it.

IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG

Last edited:
Great cycle truck frame. Can't go wrong with that frame,love the curves on the top tube and color choice. Welcome to the house of fun.

Wheels came in today and tires are in order.

Regretting clear coating. As I start to assemble it the clear coat is extremely brittle. Inexperience may have bit me in that regard. I thought two cans of duplicolor clear would have been enough lol

Going to end up having to repaint the frame. Clear coat is just too brittle. Wondering if I waited too long between color and clear...

Like your color combinations. Is the paint really that bad? Cuz I think in it's current state, it has that nice 'vintage' paint look to it. Not brand new, just a bike in great condition from that era.

Honestly the bike as shown with the wheels on it is how it looks with the second attempt at paint. In that's attempt I did 4 coats of color and then 30 minutes later started in with the clear. I let a week elapse between color and clear the last time. I could damage the clear just by tapping my fingernail to the paint with a little force. This time it looks like they have bonded better.

Tried the sign today. Definitely not an expert at painting but figuring most of these signs would have been done by hand, so I'm ok with it. Still going to add my town and a phone number to it in black along with doing the rest of the details of the gargoyle. Did this as a test really and may just keep it...

IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back