Anybody else can't wait for the BO12 ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to check them out.
I've been looking at solid "tubes", I just have to figure out if I want to go with my original idea or something else.
I found these on Ebay. (black,red,yellow) Could always ask if they could make in the color you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Bike-T...993847?hash=item4b1623d377:g:3TQAAOSwiONYPB7k
From China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-8-5-1...hash=item360b650eff:m:mf8LDekT_uma6mPTCxUR7gg

And these come in 700c.(in colors)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700x23C-B...94f1087&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=272519071397

Now ya'all got me lookin' at solid tires ... and I'm thinkin', No, I'm running air in my tires why am I doin' this? and then it's like, Well maybe a hard tire skinny build someday...

Carl.

Yea, I saw those and the 26 x 1 3/8.
Still not sure what size to go with.
You could always glue old water hose pipe to a rim.Can't get more rat then that.:D
I believe thr are 2 types of solid rubber,one has a hollow center,it makes the ride softer.
The 700c would fit on my old trek mtb. the rims a so thin that the tires were constantly flat from the roads here. That I ended up purchasing wheelchair tires. So having solid tires on would be a winner.

OK @Falstaff, so now that we have resolved the valve stem issue, I have to ask the next logical question: Without spokes, how will you be able to true the wheel? I'm also wondering about their strength without spokes. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to think through the hubless issues before they arise.:39:

OK @Falstaff, so now that we have resolved the valve stem issue, I have to ask the next logical question: Without spokes, how will you be able to true the wheel? I'm also wondering about their strength without spokes. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to think through the hubless issues before they arise.:39:
I have no idea....
But my way of thinking is the idea that a hubless wheel isn't actually hubless, it's just a really big hub with a hollow axle.

I think if I use steel rims, keeping them true would be easier than aluminum.
The strength I think comes from the roller assembly.

When I first brought the idea to Luke a while back, he mentioned that most hubless bikes tend to be show queens.
One horsepower brought up the tight clearances the rollers need to the actual rim.
And Fordsnake said something about the rim wanting to walk sideways in turns.

I think I've taken all of that into consideration in my design, but honestly this build will be a lesson in how to/how not to build a hubless wheel.
In the bike you posted a link to, he didn't ever update us. So I don't know what kind of weakness there will be.

But I'm willing to take a chance and test my theory. At this point in life, I don't see failure; only goals. So this bike will be like random motivation, a prototype to see if I actually want one.

I'd honestly love to pull off a rideable version in the build off, but right now it's all down to whether or not I can find the parts to build the wheels.

So after that little tangent, the answer remains the same.... I have no idea.

I like your attitude Mister!
...my way of thinking is the idea that a hubless wheel isn't actually hubless, it's just a really big hub with a hollow axle.
I've always thought the same thing, "hubless" is a misnomer.

I should have took more pics...
I was given a ratty old Huffy step thru bike and at first look it's just a ladies bike but then upon further inspection I find some cool old parts. A cool rusty headlight, a big speedo, Wald bars and stem, a funky spring seat, and a Lark derailleur with a two cable twist shift grip and matching left grip. It's a five speed so I also got a nice single speed crank and ring in the smaller chain size.
486c6dfeeb2cae54ab2d59fb9da2bc19.jpg
9991f57658ec8a9a064bf24771ef2061.jpg

The wheelset is cleaning up nicely 26 x 1 3/8 and there is a set of chrome fenders I may never use but who knows? Everything but the frame itself is of use to me and at the least I will chop it up just for the tubing...
1 more day... Come on Build Off!

Carl.

Last edited:
@GuitarlCarl
Are you starting with a tandem frame, or going scratch build?

Build off 12 is only a few hours away, looking forward to seeing what everyone has in mind.

Truth be told, it's ALREADY May 1st in most of the world. I was surprised to discover that the BO12 forum pages haven't yet been activated.

Yeah, I'm sitting here in Tokyo and it's been May 1st for 12 hours now. I expected to log in and see some postings from Australiasia at least. But you can't post if the Build Off sections aren't there to post in.

"a Lark derailleur with a two cable twist shift grip and matching left grip."

A two cable twist shift? That's unusual. I'd like to check that out.

Latest posts

Back