"Gender bending" 80cc 20" pedal bobber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son got a chance to test the posture/position of the bike, before i completely tear it down, again, to paint everything that ive welded up after the fact.

I guess i need to find some mid rise apes. All i have is 14's and 12's. I can see he'd be able to ride with apes now, but he loves the drag bars!!

I finished up the springer saddle using the toyota 22r valve springs, and head parts, but forgot to get pics before i disassembled everthing to finalize frame paint.

Ill try to get some good pics upon re-assembly.

Awesome !!!

Things ive ordered, and im waiting on:

1. Footpegs
2. Shorter throttle cable
3. Head light, tail light, generator
4. Exhaust wrap
5. K&N style air filter
6. Pull start
7. Blue dot for tail light

Things left to do:

1. Install parts that are on the way.
2. Strip the green powder coating on the brake calipers.
3. Fabricate the foot brake lever
4. Route brake cable.
5. Tidy up all wires.
6. Mount/trim rear fender.
7. Rear inner tube.
8. Scuff/nostalgia paint "dads garage" on tank.
9. Break in.

Ok, so heres the springer seat i concocted out of some spare toyota parts i had laying around, and a decorative gate hinge:

Works like a charm. Love the withered seat look too.

As for now, i know it dont look like much, but last night i completely disassembled it, and repainted it again. Tonight i reassembled it, made the exhaust, took a few links off the chain, got it installed.... tried on some ape hangers, after i shortened the clutch cable:

"Oops".

Better pics tomorrow.

ITS ALIVE!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQy8QqIAbAK/

First off, the cheapass pull start arrived broken... ok. So then i stuck my 18v drill with a 14mm on the crank bolt, and started it that way, the the crank bolt stripped.... fack.

So roll start it is.

It pulls my 260lbs rear, with a flat back tire.

Still waiting on the foot pegs, brake peg, lights/generator and exhaust wrap.... and currently filing a claim on the pull start.

Theyll be riding this weekend.

Last edited:
Headlight, tail light, and generator came in, got it mounted. Got the brake pedal peg in, got it mounted. Still no foot pegs, so i made some temporary ones, out of 3-1/2" 5/16" bolts, full of nuts. As for the exhaust wrap, while itd look cool, it really dont need it.

My son...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ6ieo8gO7A/

My daughter...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ6hQwKAhn2/

Ill let em get used to it for a week or too, then the apes are definitly going back on.

Its so hard to tell the neighborhood kids "no", when they asked to ride it.... 20 years ago, "heck yeah, man", now adays someone will sew you over a kid having fun.

The rear brakes are your basic linear pull style brakes. The cable runs to a triangular arm i have mounted with a bearing on the right foot peg. It attaches to the cable end, like a regular handle bar lever would. When the brake "pedal" is pushed downward, the raised triangular part pulls on the cable.

Zoom in on this pic, and you can see how it works. Of course this pic is pre brake peg, and foot peg. But you can see the cable routing, etc.

Latest posts

Back