Trying to find some brown pedals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these pedals on a few European websites, but they only come in 9/16", and shipping costs a fortune. Can anybody help me find a set that looks like this, in 1/2", preferably in the US.

If you can find out what type of plastic the white bow pedals are made of, there is a chance you may be able to make them brown by boiling them in brown RIT dye and water.
Or if you know someone who may have a set of white ones, and will allow you to test the pedal by marking it with a Sharpie marker and seeing if it stays on the pedal without wiping off, the RIT dye will work.

I checked a couple sites and the only on that mentioned anything about the composition on the white polymer simply stated them as "resin."

One of those things I picked up from the paintball days.

There are a bunch of videos of people dying with RIT dye on YouTube; taping off and making patterns, variations on color saturation, etc. A bunch of neat stuff.

I found a place in San Francisco who sells these, which fixes the shipping issue. But I still have to work on the 9/16" thing. Maybe upgrade to a 3 piece crank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do the same pedals come in a 1/2" in a different color? If they come apart (I don't see a dust cover on the other end), you could swap the innards.

These look like they might be the same in 1/2":

https://smile.amazon.com/Electra-St...qid=1488061304&sr=8-6&keywords=cruiser+pedals

I've tried swapping the rubber parts on a set of Felt pedals. I imagine the rubber part is highly compressed in a special fixture before the metal is clamped in place. I could not see any way to get the pedal back together with any chance of the pedal staying together. I can't see myself having any better luck trying to reassemble one of these after tearing it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not necessarily, you could get a 9/16-inch to 1/2-inch adapter.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...enders-9-16-pedal-to-1-2-crank-21mm-long[/

I knew about the adapters but I don't like the way they look. And if I'm going to spend $15-20 for a set of adapters I would prefer to put that money toward a nice set of 3 piece cranks to replace the cheap looking factory one piece crank. I wish somebody made a one piece crank with 9/16" threads and nice quality chrome.

Last edited:
I ordered 2 pairs from a moped shop called Treatland in San Francisco for just over $40 shipped. I'll probably find a nice 3 piece crank rather than go with the adapters.

USPS priority package is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Also just ordered two sets of these so I have something to thread the pedals into.

a205918a60d3d1e4aaeda8a3a6c4ad05.jpg

I hope my wife doesn't read this...

My brown pedals showed up. Kudos to Treatland.tv for nice packaging and quick shipping. The pedals? I don't love them. The quality is marginal. Also apparently moped pedals are about 1/2" narrower than bicycle pedals. I'll give them a try, but I doubt I'll use them for very long.

507f8e4dc963629912cd815a4346415e.jpg

63861353db51c8f6157d150b4770adf0.jpg

Looks like I spent $200 on cranks to use $40 worth of pedals I don't love.

The search for brown pedals continues...

Dang. Those Demolition pedals would look great on my red bike. But I don't want to get divorced again. I might have to sell some of my spare parts...

I bought the cranks from Holy Bikes Hamburg in Germany. 2 sets delivered to Michigan for 179.30 Euros ($195.00)

I couldn't buy them through EBay because of my US address so I emailed them and made arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back