Victory Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to rubber shortages for the war effort, they sometimes used wood for pedal blocks. I made a set for mine from some cheap rubber block pedals (plastic, actually) and just took them apart and substituted the blocks with some scrap oak I had around. Foot grip is not great, though.

kilroy2.jpg

I can't find any pedals that look anywhere near vintage, yet. Or even close.

The license plate guy doesn't make them from scratch, he has a supplier for those. I plan to use some of the aluminum and make a plate.

What kind of pedals are you looking for?
I don't know what it will cost to ship, but I have an old set; I think were originally on a Shelby.

I don't figure I'll ever use them.
Can get pics after work tomorrow if you might be interested.

What kind of pedals are you looking for?
I don't know what it will cost to ship, but I have an old set; I think were originally on a Shelby.

I don't figure I'll ever use them.
Can get pics after work tomorrow if you might be interested.

Shipping is high, let me check out some different shipping places.

The small flat rate box looks just right for a set of pedals and is around 7 dollars. That's cheapest I found. I'll hit the flea markets today and throughout the rest of the month. If I don't find any pedals, we'll work out a deal.
An old set from a Shelby would look good.

Will do.

I've got plenty of time, so I'll try a standard drive train. The old Bendix is heavy and has a slight warp since it's missing a spoke. My test ride felt like I was hauling a trailer behind me. Heavy old wheels, and the equivalent of 52-20 cog setup on the skiptooth. I'll transfer the wheelset from my new cruiser, black alloy wheels with a 44-18 ratio, giving a better (lower) ratio, from a 68.3 to a 64.1 and lighter. I'll change out the Hawthorne skiptooth chain wheel with the 44 shown here. If that works out, then the old Ross 52 sprocket will get black paint with a 22 cog, giving a 62.0 ratio. I don't have enough chain for that yet.

sprockets.jpg

Along with the wheels, I changed the seat out to a regular one also to see how it rides. It did better but is still a heavy bike. The gear ratio is just about right, but a 2 speed would be even better.

black wheels.jpg

Looks good! I'm sure you'll get plenty of compliments out riding.

Looks good. I love the new wheels, lightens it up a bit too, I'd imagine. These are heavy bikes though, well made too, probably why they've lasted this long.

index.php

I like this picture. Reminds me of my SGT.ROCK build.
But I like your frame better...

Guitarl.

Last edited:
The truss rods didn't fit over the newer axle and I noticed the fork crown at a different angle then the wheel, one of the tangs is bent forward or backward slightly. The wheel isn't exactly perpendicular either. So I'll see if I can correct that without wrecking the forks. It might be better left alone.

I looked at it closely, one tang needs to be pulled forward slightly. The steel is heavy, it needs more than I can do without a shop, but it's not too bad so I'll leave it instead of maybe ruining a 1942 fork. I tried my new and larger handlebars, I like the ride.
tang.JPG

handlebars.JPG

I looked at it closely, one tang needs to be pulled forward slightly. The steel is heavy, it needs more than I can do without a shop, but it's not too bad so I'll leave it instead of maybe ruining a 1942 fork. I tried my new and larger handlebars, I like the ride.
View attachment 46183

View attachment 46184
The new black bars fit the build perfectly! Your work with decals, paint, and custom add-ons is coming together nicely.

Waiting for payday and pedals coming in the mail! Thanks Falstaff! I see how to get bike parts now, the flat rate boxes. But they are only so big, so frames and large parts are out.

Went for a ride again today, I'm still huffing and puffing on the inclines, but the larger chain wheel and cog should lower the ratio just slightly, from a 64 to a 62, and might be just right.
Need to get more chain.
rw3.JPG
I did get some work done, painted the chain wheel. The flat black I have seems more like a satin, I may get a can of black primer to redo all the black.

Now that you're in the states again, getting certain parts should be easier. Your frame and fork options will be slimmer, but it's looking good on the islands so far.

I hope the pedals fit the build style, I like this one.

Latest posts

Back