Need advice.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3527.JPG
I almost have my bike done, just waiting on a layback seatpost, shorter gooseneck, and a few other details.
I took it for a ride and it rides really well, but I realize that at my advanced age I need gears on this thing.
Does anyone have recommendations on what I should use? I want to fabricate a shift lever and linkage to mount next to the tank panels so I'm assuming a derailleur system would work the best? I've been out of bicycles for decades so I'm not up on the new technology.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Great looking bike! There are internally geared hubs with a coaster brake that would be much more simple to use. Otherwise you have to add brakes and a derailleur hanger. Google is your friend.

Thank you, is there a hub you can recommend? It's been a while, but I'm sure I can still lace and true a wheel if need be.

Google shimano nexus 3 speed -those come with coaster brake as do the nexus 7 and 8 speed .
Another option is the shimano nexus with a roller brake - it'll clamp on to the existing tabs that the coaster uses .
Often you can buy the hub and have it built by the local shop or the online store .
The 3 speed option is often a built wheel -look at the felt or Electra online store .
As for shifting these use a grip shift style that can mount in the handle bar .
Another option is hbbc they make an adapter and a shifter cover/ stick shift fir relatively cheap in the USA .
However shifty ....... makes nice shiny ones - if you're a Facebook user you can find him there .

Nice looking ride !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are models by Sturmey Archer and Shimano. Shimano's Nexus is probably the most common (a bonus for for future servicing and replacement). Member 'ind-chuckz' has wheels laced with them for sale all the time.
Good luck!
PS, I really like your bike!

Yep, just put in a Nexus 3 speed. No derailleur or extra mess, nice gearing, simple, clean, and no wider than your regular hub. 7 or 8 speeds tend to be much wider than your old hub, and will stretch out your frame a bit to get it in.

There are models by Sturmey Archer and Shimano. Shimano's Nexus is probably the most common (a bonus for for future servicing and replacement). Member 'ind-chuckz' has wheels laced with them for sale all the time.
Good luck!
PS, I really like your bike!

Thank you, I like the way you think! It sounds like 'ind-chuckz is the guy I need to talk to then.
Are these hubs cable operated? Just wondering so I can figure out a tank shift linkage.

As an FYI the shimano and sturmey hubs in all the Gear ranges do spec in different widths .

Nice looking bike!

I'm the same way, I must have gears. One speed won't get it anymore. I've used the 3 speed with coaster on a few bikes and that did the trick, except I hardly ever needed high gear.
The 2 speed kickback hubs or auto shift 2 speed, with coasters, are another option that eliminate any cables or shifter. They look like a one speed but you get a lower or higher gear and a standard gear, depending on chain wheel and cog sizes.
My favorite shifter on the 3 speeds was the twist grip. On my old Schwinn I drilled a hole in the tank to route the cable. A stick shift would also look good on your bike.
53 met.jpg

IMG_3546.JPG
Nice! Apparently I can't search for members from my phone. Can you put me in touch with 'ind-chuckz please? I think what I need is a nexus laced to a rim that matches my existing ones.

Last edited:
64EC1393-CB6D-4779-B7CA-36ADA2AB15C8-13454-00000C897B15510B_tmp.jpg
The problem with that is this frame has 2 top tubes and the tank panels are in the way. I want to rig up an old fashioned looking tank shift linkage similar to the one on this old HD.

Last edited:
The problem with that is this frame has 2 top tubes and the tank panels are in the way. I want to rig up an old fashioned looking tank shift linkage similar to the one on this old HD.
That will look great with your bike.

Click this for @ind-chuckz info.
BTW, when you post pictures, select the 'full image' button at the bottom before you post for a full size image in your post.

Thanks man!

Google shimano nexus 3 speed -those come with coaster brake as do the nexus 7 and 8 speed .
Another option is the shimano nexus with a roller brake - it'll clamp on to the existing tabs that the coaster uses .
Often you can buy the hub and have it built by the local shop or the online store .
The 3 speed option is often a built wheel -look at the felt or Electra online store .
As for shifting these use a grip shift style that can mount in the handle bar .
Another option is hbbc they make an adapter and a shifter cover/ stick shift fir relatively cheap in the USA .
However shifty ....... makes nice shiny ones - if you're a Facebook user you can find him there .

Nice looking ride !

Can you provide a link to the shifter you speak of?

Maybe you could modify the tank to give a little room for the shifter to be mounted to the straight bar. The top of the page here sometimes shows a bunch of different stick shifters for sale. Boxkars brand. It would look fairly close to that 21 Harley.

https://boxkars.com/

Last edited:
Google hbbc they have an online store.
Shifty ....... I discovered on RRB - but generally uses Facebook - you can find him there - he does limited runs every few months - also he makes shifters for both sturmey and shimano .
If he has them you've gotta act fast - they tend to go quick !

IMG_3553.JPG
Thank you for all of the info and links. I have a better idea of what I need to do to machine and fabricate a linkage setup for tank shift. This will most likely be what I use for the lever.

Shimano Nexus cannot touch most of the more common Sturmey-Archer 3-speeds in regards to parts availability, serviceability, shifter options, etc. Plus, Sturmey-Archer offers the options of pulleys and indicator chains look rad and old-timey, whereas Nexus offers gripshifts and click-boxes--a lot of plastic, and a lot of 1990s aesthetics. Shimano Nexus hubs work pretty reliably, and they're decent hubs, but they really don't offer any advantage over the competition.

It seems like you really want to have some sort of tractor-style shifter for your bike, which would definitely look cool-- and if that's the case, the gripshifter might be the easiest to use as a basis for a fabbed-up shifter. I kinda feel like a 2-speed kickback or auto might suit your project well, with a really low direct gear and a 1.38 overdrive, and no worries about fabricating a shifter and running cables. But, in the end, you gotta do what you want with these things...

Latest posts

Back