Murray Montgomery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Murray at goodwill about a month ago. Looks like everything is there, tires are just shot. My plan is to overhaul it and keep it looking clean and factory, as I don't think I've built a vintage bike in the "factory mindset". I want it to have that olde charm to it.

I literally just tore into it and realized I didn't take any proper "before" pictures. Luckily, I did snap one the night I brought it home. Ill be posting more pictures and information.

It's always nice to hear about some of the finer details you guys know about these old beasts, if anybody would like to oblige?

IMG_0560.JPG

So I did the research, and these bikes are as common as the day is long. It's likely an 82' or 83' based on the single speed and color combo, which is ugly to say the least. That's just fine though, I'll have it done shortly. It's all in very good condition.

I found some new no name tires on OfferUp for $20. I'll ride it for a bit and in the meantime I'll look for some chrome fenders to replace the strangely colored ones. I figured I'll slowly add goodies to up its appeal, then sell it.

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 168
Is that one old enough to have come with the Carlisle lightning dart tires? Murray built a great classic cruiser. Sounds like you want it to look like a Schwinn. That one will look great with a classic chrome springer fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured I'll slowly add goodies to up its appeal, then sell it.
I think it's good looking as it is:p Maybe a different color, new seat and grips, but after it should sell with a nice profit, factory or not:)

But my cat's named Murray, so maybe I'm partial..

Last edited:
I had this done a couple days ago. It rides pretty decent, but something feels like it's holding it back. It could just be me, who knows. I'm going to replace the chain and bottom bracket. Both are on their last leg.

It is very comfortable though so I'm going to keep changing stuff up.
IMG_0655.JPG

I've had this bike listed on OfferUp for a few days. So far, my entire investment is up to $40, including the cost of the bike.

As stated before, I've done a full overhaul and cleaning on it. The paint and chrome is actually in very good condition being 33 or so years old. I figure $75 is reasonable, but haven't had much bite.

That's ok! I'm not in dire need to sell it, and I'm starting to like it. I put a few cool guy parts on it (trademarked term ;) ) which made it smidge more fun to ride. I think I'll keep it and continue my investment.

Next on the list will be a bottom bracket, as the original one is a little wonky.

IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG

Latest posts

Back