Westfield what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm at a loss on this one. No headbadge. Horizontal badge holes. Coffin skiptooth chaining leads me to believe Westfield. New departure model D. Deco stem.
20161029_164836.jpg

Thanks folks. I've been away for like 6 weeks, and this place is all different!

01212_cNcWiuCyYai_600x450-1.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I was looking at this earlier. I'm definitely stumped.

It does have a lot of Westfield details; i think that's a good bet; I'm wondering if it's a gender-bender with 2 donor bikes? Just a wild, outta left field guess. Regardless, it looks very cool. Does the construction seem to be the same throughout, or are the joints at the seat-tube a bit different?

Just some good ideas for IDing these old bikes: lots of pics; at least one good whole bike from the drive-side, and then plenty of close-up detail shots of the dropouts, the headtube junctions, the fork crown, truss-rod set-up, the seat cluster, the BB junction, etc. The headbadge area is a huge help too, even if the badge is gone. These details really offer a lot of clues as to who made the frame, then we can try to dig deeper and find a year, what the Badge was (many times, different from the maker), and how it may've been originally equipped. Bolt-on items don't offer a whole lot of help (eg, crank, sprocket, stem, bars, wheels, fenders) unless you can be reasonably sure that the bike is mostly original. After 70 to 80 years, it's tough to be sure on that...

If it is a Westfield, the serial beginning with an A would be 1936, or 1955. The mounting holes for the head badge are situated vertically for a 55, horizontally (offset slightly) on a 36.
I would think it's a 36 with the dropouts like that.
I'm trying to find an example of that frame, never seen one like that.

From the Mr. Columbia webpage:
"This sprocket design was the same one used on most of the Army units and was also used on civilian Columbia bikes for several years before WWII. It is often called the "coffin sprocket" because of the 5 cutouts that look like traditional coffins"
oneinchpictchsproket2.JPG.w560h416.jpg

I have never seen an arched Westfield with a curved bottom bar... Looks like a CWC and a Westfield had a baby boy. Great looking bike and it has a really nice patina to it. Could be the very first ratrod bike! May want to post it over on thecabe.com they may know more about it.

It is a westfeild, never knew there was such a bike until recently. I'll post some pics out of my westfeild book later tonight when I get home. Year wise it's probably mid/late 30s. My buddy actually sent me a pic of that bike, It was on CL right?

Latest posts

Back