(MBBO#05 class 1)"Tissue Damage" Sears Spyder-Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blow up, or molded? A molded pool will hold up better.
It's a hard plastic molded pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After HOURS working on this frame with wd and steel wool, I gave up and took the wire wheel and sand paper to the rear of the frame. I just wasn't getting anywhere.

I think Im gonna try the "wash" technique or just spray blend the closest color I can find....
20160925_172021.jpg

20160925_172028.jpg

Now no days off again for a week! Ugh...
I used a 'spray blend' technique on my One-Owner '69 Sting-Ray just a few days ago. Happy with the result. Also was able to save the stickers by taping over them with 3M blue painters tape. In your case, if you didn't want to try to match it, you could always do a fade paint of a complimentary color on the rear triangle that would fade into your stock blue....might be kind of cool.

I used a 'spray blend' technique on my One-Owner '69 Sting-Ray just a few days ago. Happy with the result. Also was able to save the stickers by taping over them with 3M blue painters tape. In your case, if you didn't want to try to match it, you could always do a fade paint of a complimentary color on the rear triangle that would fade into your stock blue....might be kind of cool.
I can see a nice black working well with that...

Luke.

What if I polished the whole thing? I have another decal...
Man, to me that would be lush! ( a word my boys invented that means 'super cool', 'really neat', 'the best' ) Especially the shape of your tubes and the dimensions would really make this a unique build. RaT oN!

I'm letting the paint on the frame "Sun cure". I don't know if that's really a thing but that's what I'm doing. I think tonight I'm going to run it down with polishing compound and a good wax...
20161004_152041.jpg

I worked on the apes and sissy bar. I'm gonna have to use my replacements...
20161004_152106.jpg

The bars looked worse. I just swapped them for my single speed spyder. It looks good ratty anyway!

Tonight I hope I can start cleaning the fenders and small parts like brakes, brake handles, and ect...

Yup. Re-chrome them. It's the only way. Murray used cheap, thin chrome that wears off easy. Ad 45 year to the problem, and you get what you have. So, your 4 options:

1) Live with it
2) Find replacements in better shape
3) Re-chrome
4) Paint them

At this point, 2 is out. 1 and 4 are your cheapest option. I'd reserve 3 for a full blown restoration.

Yup. Re-chrome them. It's the only way. Murray used cheap, thin chrome that wears off easy. Ad 45 year to the problem, and you get what you have. So, your 4 options:

1) Live with it
2) Find replacements in better shape
3) Re-chrome
4) Paint them

At this point, 2 is out. 1 and 4 are your cheapest option. I'd reserve 3 for a full blown restoration.
I think you're absolutely right Crash. I'm gonna have to live with them for the build off then maybe get them chromed. I've been watching the ebay and that spoke protector is pretty rare!

Latest posts

Back