What to do with an old family bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
1966 (?) Sears Spaceliner base model. It's been in my family since the 1980's, maybe longer.
ce0860d81eb342672718a99bafbc4284.jpg
db6477bd837e2ada280211a82e4f85a9.jpg
I'm not going to do a full correct restoration, so any ideas?

I want a classic look, something reminiscent of a '57 Chevy or '58 Plymouth. I'm open to suggestions.

I also have the missing tank parts, so no worries there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TRM converable tank set up... Selle the scraps.
I honestly don't think there is a better option....
It was built for it.
*That was supposed to say sell the scraps to me..;)

Last edited:
57 Chevy is hard to pull of its style is the distinct huge quarters and heavy weight grill. Covell built a HD 57 tribute, and that man is a genius with fabrication.. I did not like it.
I think TRM did a great job on built-in up the body of his design.. Its proportion and scale is impressive from such a skinny legged bike.
I think more than that and they look more like a train locomotive.. witch is cool.. just differently influanced

No, no. I meant that the look of the bike has to be as classic and stylish as those cars. The "finned" look of the rack, chrome tank dash and switches, dual headlights, and chrome somewhat reflect that already.

I like the TRM idea.

What about the colors?

White with gold accents and black pinstripes?

There is a lot of ways to finish plastic parts to a quality chrome like finish... Done like the old Schwinn tanks 2 toned with paint would be outrageous...

The TRM tank with some angled eyelids on the light pods, maybe some gills on the side would have a '57 Chevy look and a modified rack that had the sweep of tail fins would be compliment it. I think the lines of the Chevy fins would fit more than those of the Plymouth unless the tank melded straight into the rack, but putting a single eyelid to stretch across and wrap around the sides of the light pods would give the feel of one of the dual-lamp fenders of a '58 Plymouth.

Snatch the rack and slap the hub from a junked X-mart bike on there, slather some red barn paint on it and set it out in the front garden with a basket of pumpkins and squash for halloween. :banana:

The TRM tank with some angled eyelids on the light pods, maybe some gills on the side would have a '57 Chevy look and a modified rack that had the sweep of tail fins would be compliment it. I think the lines of the Chevy fins would fit more than those of the Plymouth unless the tank melded straight into the rack, but putting a single eyelid to stretch across and wrap around the sides of the light pods would give the feel of one of the dual-lamp fenders of a '58 Plymouth.
Nice idea!

I always think the big electric front hubs look old school to me... An AC delco publicity built space age futuristic electr-o-bike, ray guns and all would be snazzy..

I'd post the photo of a '50s-inspired ray gun prop that my friend made in college, but it takes phallic representation to a very literal end.

The 1958 Chevrolet Impala is one of my dream cars, has been since I was about 11 years old. It's a shame that particular model never got any love until about 6-8 years ago. Prior to that, you MIGHT see one as a Lowrider. Maybe.

Victor's pedal car designs are very reminiscent of the 1957-59 Plymouth. His bicycles resemble other MoPar's. The rear rack on the Spaceliner-style bikes resemble Dodge's and Desoto's; the fins, the dual "rocket ship" reflectors. The deluxe racks resemble Chrysler 300's and Windsor's with large, angular tail lights. The frames and tanks resemble the "Forward Look" designs of the Chrysler bodies. The control panels on many of the tanks he designed look eerily similar to the gauge clusters on Plymouth Belvedere's and Fury's.

Murray bicycles were never quality leaders, but they sure had STYLE and class!

Don't overthink it. Use it as it was meant to be ridden. Clean it up a bit, grease, oil, maybe a custom pinstripe job ( over the cleaned patina or rust ). Give it a title or name (pinstriped on it ) Enjoy It!

Latest posts

Back