Help with my head set problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an old frame that I am working on that I posted as Frankenmaggot under the builds forum. Everything was going swell until I disassembled the headset. The top cup had worn out the head tube so it just sits there and fell out on its own. This bearing cup sits loose in the head tube and can be picked up. The head tube is chewed up under this cup. I think the head tube may be ovalized but I can't tell with all the chewed up metal. The race on the fork was worn so one side was almost gone (the top half of the race was so worn it didn't exist). The bottom cup is cracked. I am wondering how to fit a new cup in the head tube. I don't think JB Weld has the integrity to hold up. I could try a beer can shim, but how long would that last? I could assemble it and weld the cup to the head tube but that would prevent any easy future replacement. Any ideas or advice?

:39: Maybe you could "braze" it with household plumbing solder and a propane torch.
Good idea, I think that is what I will try. I might try brazing first and then high antimony bullet lead if I can't fill with brazing. It might even be possible to braze in the cup. I could be removed for replacement later by heating to red hot. I am excited. It will ruin my ruined paint job though.

The frame takes a lot of stress in those areas, so a repair had better be good to hold up. Unless it's a frame that valuable, it's probably best to get another frame. If it's that bad off, then other parts of the frame may be worn out also.

JB Weld is pretty amazing stuff - just make sure all surfaces are clean. Another way to go would be to use a punch to dimple the O.D. of the cup where it goes into the headtube. It increases the O.D. slightly.

The frame takes a lot of stress in those areas, so a repair had better be good to hold up. Unless it's a frame that valuable, it's probably best to get another frame. If it's that bad off, then other parts of the frame may be worn out also.
I have been told it's a rare frame, but I don't know for sure. The cups in the bottom bracket were badly worn and I replaced them.

JB Weld will hold it. I think the trick will be getting the cups in straight to alleviate the stress from the fork tube pressing against the head tube unevenly. But don't under estimate JB, that stuff is able to endure...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

JB Weld will hold it. I think the trick will be getting the cups in straight to alleviate the stress from the fork tube pressing against the head tube unevenly. But don't under estimate JB, that stuff is able to endure...

Carl.

I've seen JB weld repair cracked motorcycle cases!

I just visited the local co-op and there is a retired guy there who was a bike mechanic for 35 years. He said to assemble it tight and weld in the cups. He has replaced few cups, he has mostly replaced bearings. He felt that I would not live long enough to wear it out and that the next owner could cuss out my grave for doing a halfassed repair. I am now thinking about tack welding the cups with a tight rebuild to hold it straight and then filling with JB Weld and allowing gravity to let it seep into the head tube?

Carl.

27 years ago I was trailering my boat home and the wheel fell off the axle as I was backing it into my yard. I know it was 27 years ago because my wife was pregnant for our 26 year old and had accompanied me on a fishing trip to Isle Royal. Everything blew off the axle except the tire and rim. The rim stayed on the axle for 25 miles but made deep gouges in the axle as it was just flopping around and wobbling. I filled it with JB weld and reassembled it. I still use it but only for short slow trips of 5 miles to duck hunt or fish, 2 or 3 times a year. I keep thinking it is going to blow but it has held. I would not want to chance another 140 mile trip at highway speeds though. The tires are 60 years old and they could blow at anytime too.

When you encounter an elongated tube, this is the traditional repair:

In an ideal world, you'd want that tube round, aligned, and the cup mounting surfaces "faced" to be perfectly parallel to each other and perpendicular to the headtube centerline. Yeah right...

Latest posts

Back