2008-09 schwinn jaguar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. i know this bike isnt a classic but man i love it. this bike was bought on craigslist and is a 2008-09 schwinn jaguar 7 speed cruiser. the original color was navy and silver and u could find this bike in walmart for like 150 bucks but i got mine for 60. i took it and painted it red but i didnt like the way i painted it. so i took it to a local powder coat paint shop and paid for it to get sand blasted and painted. here is the end result. what u cant see is that on the tube stem i have red motion lights attached and the head light is a battery operated light that has a dim and bright feature, and of course i have a rear light but that rear light isnt really fancy at all it just has like 5 or 6 diff light sequence features. i powder coated the frame, fork, chain guard, sprocket, and rims. yeah i know the paint is gonna come off the rims when i apply the brakes. the spokes i bought black except for the 2 red spokes. i bought those to mark where the stem is and to enhance the color from the light at night. i found fenders for it and the shop i got the fenders from had black brackets to trade. the seat is a electra seat and the handle bars came from a kent city cruiser bike but i might change them to a fs elite handle bars. the hand brake is a dual hand brake. when u apply pressure both front and back brakes will be applied. tell me what u think. would love to get some feedback.

sorry i dont have the original pic of when i bought the bike but here is what the bike looked like when i painted it red.

workinprogress.jpg

here is what my bike looks like right now. i am actually looking for a schwinn rear rack or book rack so if anyone has one to sell let me know.

blackjaguar.jpg

I had one exactly like it. I put some apehangers on it and a real confy gel seat. Got mine new at Target for $99.00. I used it to mainly pull the niece around on bike rides. I loved the way it rode as well as pulled. Unfortunately so did the thugs that stole it when I took it to Canada! :x
Your bike looks real nice, so stay outta Ontario! :lol:

I've got a 1-spd same style, which I originally got to hold up a motor kit, but I'm currently using as a pedal bike. Not as tough as the old ones, but it's straight and considerably lighter. I like it. :wink:

I bought one on sale at Target for $79.95 about 3 years ago. Had to put whitewalls on it, and fenders, and real Schwinn bow pedals on it. Rode it a bit, then saw the red Point Beach bikes at Wally mart, and had to have one as my cheap geared cruiser. Swapped the w/w's and pedals to the PB, plus a vintage looking seat, then sold the Jag on ebay for $68. ~Adam

thats rad. i really like my black jaguar. i was having a brake problem and fixed it up. the repair guy at charles a. james bicycle shop here in san antonio told me i couldnt put brakes on my bike cause the fenders would block the brakes from touching the rim. well i showed him. i put them on anyways. turns out he was part right. i had old ... brake pads on the original brakes i put on. so they did touch the fenders. but...i changed the brakes yesterday. turns out they dont touch at all. it's kind cool cause now i know when my pads need to be changed.

if anyone has a schwinn jaguar, pointbreak or windwood post ur pics here please.

i am thinking about fixing another one up. well basically painting a new one. i have thought about doing a motor bike but who know.

I picked this Pacific Panther up for free from my friend Chris who knew I liked "old " cruisers. "Dude! I found you an old Schwinn Panther in awesome shape!" Chris has never brought me a bike older than the mid-80's. Still you gotta love the guy. Bringin' free bikes, and all.

1sia8h.jpg

It is now my winter beater. Still a $0 project. All parts scrounged from dead bikes and stuff I had around. I have it geared stupid low so I can get through the famous Wisconsin winters.

Next step? Studs! Kinda hard to drop $120 on tires for a free bike, huh? :?

5bpbbn.jpg

bumping this up, found a Jaguar 7 speed locally that's priced right.
How heavy are these frames / bikes? is it mild steel, any chromoly in this thing?

I'd likely strip it down. I cant do coaster brakes, rear wheel rebuild would be on the horizon, maybe single speed freewheel and some different bars.

bumping this up, found a Jaguar 7 speed locally that's priced right.
How heavy are these frames / bikes? is it mild steel, any chromoly in this thing?

I'd be shocked if there's any chromoly in these frames, and don't remember seeing a sticker mentioning it when I stripped mine and painted it: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-schwinn-jaguar-build-badly-chronicled.93036/

I got around to weighing mine after putting one of slowriderz' solid steel seatposts on it, and it was around 50 pounds at that point. :21: (Despite the heft, it's still my favorite of my four cruisers and I ride it everywhere -- I put new tires on it when I first "built" it in 2014 and it may need new ones next summer!)

I'd likely strip it down. I cant do coaster brakes, rear wheel rebuild would be on the horizon, maybe single speed freewheel and some different bars.

These shouldn't have coaster brakes -- they came from the factory with a seven speed derailleur and fairly decent V-brakes.

thats rad. i really like my black jaguar. i was having a brake problem and fixed it up. the repair guy at charles a. james bicycle shop here in san antonio told me i couldnt put brakes on my bike cause the fenders would block the brakes from touching the rim. well i showed him. i put them on anyways. turns out he was part right. i had old ... brake pads on the original brakes i put on. so they did touch the fenders. but...i changed the brakes yesterday. turns out they dont touch at all. it's kind cool cause now i know when my pads need to be changed.

if anyone has a schwinn jaguar, pointbreak or windwood post ur pics here please.

i am thinking about fixing another one up. well basically painting a new one. i have thought about doing a motor bike but who know.
Here's mine
WP_DS20160901(2).jpg

Latest posts

Back