filling in frame for a lowrider does anyone have any ideas for a first timer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i have decided I done what I can with just bolting parts together and want to start building full on custom bikes one n particular is a low-rider I am building from a bratz bike I have .
there is an even in September I am hoping to unveil this bike at but I need advice on the best way to fill in the frame where the top tube and center bars split at the fork I do not know how to weld but apparently I will have to weld I am assuming. I figure this bratz bike is the best one to practice with
I will post pics in the builds thread once I figure out how I am going to fill in the frame
thanks in advance guys and gals
also does anyone have any low-rider builds they can show me so I can get an idea how to do this one correct and right.
I already have a bent springer and the banana seat is already covered in what feels like worn velour so I will be dying the seat and cleaning the parts I have might try to get them gold colored if it is within my budget to do so
thanks again
sean

Yea, welding is gonna be your best bet if you're looking for a smooth molded look. Just remember, that's a Chinese built bike and the steel isn't quality. Welding might be tricky.

I posted a pic last year of a lowrider that I like, I'll try to get you a link.

3041f617b21d88d3579ad5d86644749e.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Get an affordable AC welder
Plug it in
Weld.

It's not that difficult....and Like anything, it gets second nature the more you do it.

I never welded and built this bike recently......
LT_OldHouse(2)_8818.png

NO, it didn't start out as a tandem (I get asked that quite a bit)
originally, it was a rusted out old mountain bike
as Ahnold would say...just do it.
Best,
;) franco

If youre stretching the frame. Get some donor bikes with same size frame tubes, preferably cruisers with some curves. Getting tubing bent is difficult to commicate to someone else without a drawing, and is tough to find someone to do 1 off jobs.
Look up a metal supply warehouse or fabricator in your area. You wanna get some tubing that will slip inside the 2 tubes you are joining - internal sleeve. See if they'll let you buy some "drops" out of the scrap bin.

Go buy, borrow a welder, or talk a friend into welding it up. Getting a quality weld on there is most important.

If you're just filling in between the frame tubes, fiberglass and body filler can be used to mold and shape anything you like for bodywork. You can even use certain types of foam sanded to shape and lay fiberglass over them if you want to do a tank, fairing, guage pod.

I have been thinking of going with the fiberglass route since this is a Chinese frame and probably not very good quality steel in the frame already so it sounds like that is the best bet I know how to work with fiberglass plus it will be easier to shape the design I want with fiberglass rather then trying to cut and bend steel thanks for the info guys the next step is to begin building the frame which I will post in the builds section once I start it

well I tried to make a template and wen I did the frame cracked guess I should have expected that from cheap Chinese pos still might build a lowrider but go a different route glad it happened now then later that als0 explains why it nosedived so much the head tube is garbage and to be honest I cannot justify repairing this crappy frame since I have several other muscle bike frames I can use for a build however with that being said I would like to thank all my fellow rrbers who have gave me awesome advice on how to fill in the frame you guys are all fantastic and I appreciate your advice

I am not sure if you have looked or not but before your next attempt check out Youtube. There are some videos about this very subject done with very few tools and they come out really nice. Just do a search for lowrider bicycle and you should find them. there is a lot of good information to be had.

JimK

Latest posts

Back