Recent content by rickpaulos

1. rickpaulos

unusual f to m mods

This bike belongs to a visitor at our local bike coop. He said it had a top bar added at some time but it had been removed. So he (or a helper) added a new top bar. It is an unusual way of doing it. Lets the seat sit back farther but you have no vertical height adjustment. I also noticed some...
  2. rickpaulos

BO15 Pandemic Road Missile.

Start saving those cans for the body.
  3. rickpaulos

BO15 A Missing Schwinn

fresh coat of paint today. Nice weather for painting here. Not so humid, just a bit of wind to keep the gnats away. The parts bike arrived. I assembled it for a test ride. Seat, bars, stem. The whole bike was cheaper than buying new parts.
  4. rickpaulos

Bikes on bridges

Oh yeah, they built a scenic view purgola on top with mountain bike and hiking trails. This landfill was started long before there were urban planners or landfills built with clay liners, drainage systems and methane venting or collecting systems. And people still wonder what causes cancer...
  5. rickpaulos

Bikes on bridges

Trek 820 (rare version with 24" wheels) on the Bridge of Lions. 16th Avenue in Czech Village, Cedar Rapids, Iowa over the Cedar River. That green hill in the back ground is Mount Trashmore. Local land fill for 100 years until it was closed for leaching in to the river. They built containment...
  6. rickpaulos

Bikes on bridges

Yes. First introduced by the Italian steel company, Columbus, in the 1930s. A slightly heavier version of Columbus SL as evidenced by a slightly smaller seat post diameter, cro-moly, double butted, drawn tubing. Schwinn used Tenax and Tenax SL on a number of mid range road bikes in the late...
  7. rickpaulos

1927 French fat bike

8. rickpaulos

BO15 A Missing Schwinn

I found these in one of my parts bins. Much better than the original Schwinn pedals that were still on th bike.
  9. rickpaulos

Bikes on bridges

1989 Schwinn Prelude over the Iowa River. Nice riding bike.
  10. rickpaulos

BO15 A Missing Schwinn

The rear hub is cleaned and regreased. It was in pretty good condition. Bendix 70 coaster brake. The front hub was shot. A loose lock nut allowed the cone to turn inwards and crack the shell. Dug through my own bins and at the local coop and found a alloy Schwinn Approved made in France low...
  11. rickpaulos

BO15 Pandemic Road Missile.

The Aeroliner looks a bit Winnebago-ish now with the white panels. So copper, aluminum, steel for the body. add a little moisture and you get some serious corrosion or galvanic reaction. Dissimilar metals like to attack each other with water as the fuel. Consider some sort of insulators...
  12. rickpaulos

BO15 A Missing Schwinn

Paint roto stripped off the frame sunday. New seat ordered today! Better than what I could do myself on the one old one I have left. Just hope it's large enough, ie, not little kid size.
  13. rickpaulos

Schwinn Hollywood 3 Wheel Bike

The trike kit added to your bike is far newer than the bike and not a Ret-Bar or Schwinn product. Its quite similar to those you can buy today. The Hollywood serial number can tell you when the bike was manufactured (1960s- 1970s). I don't think it was around in the 1950s. Don't forget the...
  14. rickpaulos

BO15 American Boy aka. Twisted Sister

They make rear axle quick release skewers in different lengths. The more gears back there, the wider the rear end, longer axle and a longer skewer. Typically 126mm spacing for old school 5 speed bikes, 130mm for 7 speed, 135mm for modern bikes with 9 or more cogs. And some crazy wide tandems...
  15. rickpaulos

BO15 American Boy aka. Twisted Sister

Nailing frames together was a common building method for mass production. They would put the tubes and lugs in a jig, nail them, then take the frame out of the jig and pass it on to a brass brazing station. An alternative to TACK welding before electric welding was used on bicycles. Most bikes...