Recent content by ponytailmike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. ponytailmike

Shimano 3CC coaster brake hub

your cable isn't frozen up??? is it... if your cable is free and the knuckle joint is moving... my next step would be make sure it is adjusted properly... place the lever in 2nd or N (middle position)... look at the indicator window on the knuckle... their will be an N with a circle... the...
  2. ponytailmike

Some beginner questions about brakes.

My personal favorite is the late 70’s Shimano disc brake… Down side… They need to be constantly and minutely adjusted… I check them prior to all rides and carry a 4 inch pair of channel lock pliers in my pocket… I picked up a sach rear drum brake last spring… Rode it over 125 miles last...
  3. ponytailmike

steering bearing race help

i have encountered that problem before... i would use the schwinn race and make a brass bushing... i cut a thin strip the width of the race... then wrap it around the fork tube... mark the over lap... then cut it a little short... make two or three as needed... use a flat blade screwdriver to...
  4. ponytailmike

2004 stingray crank question

not sure how that one was done... but i think you could use a track hub(freewheel thread on both sides) then using two 16 or 18 bmx freewheels(both the same size) spin the right side on as normal... the left side might be a little more tricky... spin it on backwards... so they both freewheel...
  5. ponytailmike

Cherry Bomb

cman... For comparison here's Sheldon Browns gear inch chart... Made some assumptions (like tire size and crank length) Yours Gear chart using Gear Inches For 26 X 2.125 / 54-559 / MTB tire with 170 mm cranks and 22 tooth sprocket 44 / 22 7th 1.545 80.2 6th 1.335 69.3 5th 1.145 59.4 4th...
  6. ponytailmike

Cherry Bomb

Thanks Everyone for the good reviews… She’s been real fun to ride… And a real head turner… The chainring and nexus 7 were both new… She’s geared 52/19… But first is great for climbing hills… :D And seventh is perfect for going down them really fast… 8) Then there’s still five other gears…...
  7. ponytailmike

Cherry Bomb

Hey All… Hope everyone is well… Some of you may remember this Schwinn frame from the fresh finds… viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16398&p=165394&hilit=ponytailmike#p165394 Well… I can proudly say this 35 year old Schwinn frame… Is now an actual Bicycle… I dug out some of the parts that I had been...
  8. ponytailmike

Mack Jr (photochop??? 06*02*09)

Hey everyone... Last night when i got home from work... I played with 2 photos in paint... You know... Just to get an idea... Just a thought.... We'll have to see... ponytailmike mike
  9. ponytailmike

Mack Jr (more photos 05*31*09) As always hope everyone is doing well… Spent Saturday spraying down hinges and assessing My Mack Jr… I decided she is really ruff… But I think I can save her… I can tell she wants to rule the road again… The cab and door panels are all steel on wood frame… All the...
  10. ponytailmike

Re: Mack Jr sensor if your talking just behind the cab??? no they were model A's... one had a motor and rear axle dropped through the roof... :( It went for $400... don't remember any la salle... i had bid on 6, maybe 7 cars that went for way more than i would have spent... almost think the...
  11. ponytailmike

Mack Jr Went to an auction yesterday at an old salvage yard here in Liberty Mo… I was looking to buy one of the 150+ cars and trucks… I’ve been wanting to build an old rod for years… Just never had a chance… Well… Looks like I got my project… That's my Brother and his son in...
  12. ponytailmike

The Instigator new photos 05*25*09

Hey all… It’s been a very productive this holiday weekend… Sprayed the frame and fork down with aircraft striper… Let the frame sit and scrubbed down with a nail brush… The aircraft striper works well… Just follow the directions it can be nasty stuff… And have the hose handy to wash down…...
  13. ponytailmike

Re: The Instigator new photos 05*19*09 Got her striped of parts... I'll strip the coats of paint in the next couple of days... ponytailmike mike
  14. ponytailmike

The Instigator new photos 051909 Well here we go… This is the frame I picked out… An old western flyer… I would guess late 40’s??? Built by Cleveland Welding Co… I started this bike in RRBO2… viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3437 I added these dropout extenders to make some 26x3.0 Just didn’t...
  15. ponytailmike

New Departure 3 speed Conversion Kit

the triplspeed is a beast all it's own... and yes there is all most no information on them... most has been lost in time... my best advice is to start by rebuilding the old new departure model D hub... as a single speed and make sure it works correctly... there's a brake down in the hub service...
Back