Recent content by OctopusHook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. OctopusHook

Schwinn Le Tour (continued)

Yeah I was wondering about that whether it would be better to have the load close to the center line of the bike or if it's better to have it closer to the pivot point (head tube)? I can think of reasons why both would be better. I just don't know whats the best. I guess I'll just have to put...
  2. OctopusHook

Yeah its not a water stain its like oil or paint. I can scrape some off with my fingernail. So ill try cleaning it off it just kinda bugs me. I do like how it looks with the big "Portland" out front though.
  3. OctopusHook

The problem with sideways is that one end has a big stain on it. Other than that it looks good though. Maybe I can wash it with some soapy water to take that off.
  4. OctopusHook

I was also thinking I might shorten the sides by an inch so it's not so deep. I think that would help slim down it's look.
  5. OctopusHook

There is an inch and a half of space on either side of the lettering to the inside edge of the metal band. So at most I could get another inch total of shortening for a total of 3". Which would mean I'd have to squish the grocery bags in, witch might not be that big'a deal. But yeah I do agree...
  6. OctopusHook

Yeah I know me too. And it's making more sense to leave it red now that I have this cool red lettered crate. But red and green do go together too... I don't know we'll see. Anyway, I got the new MKS pedals so now I have that part if the build done. Also I got this cool crate off ebay. The plan...
  7. OctopusHook

I decided to take advantage of the sun today via a ride through a park by my house. I saw this play structure that's pretty much the color I want to paint the bike in. I think that will l look pretty classy. Anyone know where I can get the decals for this model?
  8. OctopusHook

General wheels cargo bike

Cool bike, err I mean trike! Whats she planning on hauling with that beast?
  9. OctopusHook

Thanks. I pretty pleased with the results too. Sometimes things don't always turn out the way you expect but its all about making the best of it with what you have. Life lessons learned through bike building;-)
  10. OctopusHook

Ok here is the finished grips. They ended up being a little darker than the test strip but I'm happy enough with them to go with that until something better ketches my eye. And the string wrap is definitely better looking than the black tape. The string I used was white so I just used the same...
  11. OctopusHook

So before I left for work this morning I remembered I had some brown leather die. So I cut a test strip of the bar tape and tried it out. Turned out to be really close to the color of the tires. Tires are just a little more on the red side. But it's close. So when I get home I'll die the rest of...
  12. OctopusHook

Yeah that looks like the right color but how comfortable is it? Doesn't seem like that stuff would do much for softening road vibrations. Maybe it would work to first wrap the bars with strips of an old inner tube then go over that with the Newbaum's.
  13. OctopusHook

Maybe something like this? The cork on the end of this rod is a cork/rubber composite it's really durable and I bet it would soak up road vibrations. Plus its already close to the color I want. Definitely worth considering.
  14. OctopusHook

Yeah that might be the ticket. I'll look around at what's out there. I might just make some cork grips too I suppose. I have made a few fishing rods and there are a bunch of cork options out there for building rods that also could be cool for grips.
  15. OctopusHook

No worries ;-) Little update, I got a package in the mail today, Soma Thick & Zesty bar tape. It's quite a bit lighter brown than I was hoping for but it's better than nothing. Probably switch it out for something closer to the color of the tires when I find it but for now it works.
Back