Recent content by Mad Scientist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Mad Scientist

Big Ol' Lot - Complete Bikes and Parts

Pics! I'll add notes, but they won't be exhaustive, just general info. It should be assumed that all of these bikes are in "as-found" condition and would need some maintenance to be fully ridable, unless otherwise noted. New tubes and possibly tires would be recommended for most. Western Flyer...
  2. Mad Scientist

I'm going to work on getting a detailed list with pics. I totally understand that the whole local pickup thing greatly limits my audience. But it's good to know that people *would* be interested, at least.
  3. Mad Scientist

I'd love some feedback on this. I know it's a long-shot to begin with, but if anyone is even slightly interested, feel free to speak up. I'm willing to go WAY down in price.
  4. Mad Scientist

(Okay, so I hope this isn't against the rules. I'm posting a photo, price, and location to make sure it's a legit "for sale" post, but this is more of a feeler thread to see if anyone is interested before I haul out ALL of my stuff to take inventory and photos. Again, this IS a legit sale, and...
  5. Mad Scientist

Halfbike

Ba-zing! :21:
  6. Mad Scientist

Halfbike

Why is everyone trying to reinvent the bicycle? This thing looks dangerous... Halfbike
  7. Mad Scientist

Bicycle Table

Agreed. I loves me some bikes, but I don't like "novelty" bicycle items. I'd rather have a cool old bike and a rustic table than a combination of the two.
  8. Mad Scientist

Who has had chrome plating done? Where and how much?

Any details on what exactly happened?
  9. Mad Scientist

Who has had chrome plating done? Where and how much?

On a similar note, do thy charge by the item, or by the batch? Obviously large items would be more, but would three or four sprockets cost the same as one? Might be worth doing a group deal.
  10. Mad Scientist

Fat Tires - How Practical for Long Distance Riding?

It all comes down to how strong of a rider you are. If you've got the legs, you can do a century on fat knobbies. Of course some tires will have advantages over others, but I feel like tread pattern and air pressure is more important than tire width.
  11. Mad Scientist

Have others been dog bit while riding or had close calls?

I think I've only had one dog chase me with ill intent, but I was already cruising at a good clip, so it wasn't that close at all. I did however almost run over a "little yappy dog" because it wasn't on a leash. I don't think it was as aggressive as it was curious, but nontheless, it almost got...
  12. Mad Scientist

Thoughts on Creme or White tires?

You could always go with whitewalls. Though the majority of the time, bikes are viewed from the side anyway. I wouldn't let the fear of dirty tread sway your decision.
  13. Mad Scientist

Spoke clips or clamps????

With most wheel covers I have seen, the halves attach to each other between the spokes, not to the spokes themselves. I have seen some that have built-in clips that just press onto the spokes, though.
  14. Mad Scientist

Yard Sale Elgin

From what I can tell by matching it up to the few pictures I've found online, it's a 1940 4-Star Deluxe.
  15. Mad Scientist

Yard Sale Elgin

Just picked up this Elgin today, but I don't know much about it. The front wheel is not original, nor is the seat (and probably the grips); and it looks like it's been spray-bombed more than a few times, but it seems solid otherwise. Serial number on the bottom bracket shell is SN 66565. If...
Back