Recent content by LAGreg

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. LAGreg

Build Off Musicians lounge

My band, The Royal Dynamics, is actually what had been keeping me away from building. We play early Rock and Roll, Rockabilly and Blues.
  2. LAGreg

Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Most guitar players I know also play bass. I do. I have a great entry level Yamaha. I’ve heard it said that all guitar players should learn bass. It’s such a different component of the band/song it helps to know both ends.
  3. LAGreg

Thanks! I’m a Gretsch man through and through (and Fender, PRS, Gibson, Taylor, etc…). And the Gretsch Jet line is tremendous. I really like that the Jr is hotroded (one tone, one volume). Huge props for learning to play! 40 years later, I still am too. I didn’t start building bikes until a...
  4. LAGreg

Ooooh and a rock ‘n roll theme. Hmm… now the gears are turning - pardon the pun.
  5. LAGreg

I will likely have to sit out. My band has actually started to take off, playing gigs and writing songs! So if I find a few hours free in the day they almost always go towards writing or practice. I still keep a hand in the bike world - just fixed a friends tandem that got driven into a wall 😳...
  6. LAGreg

RRBBO16

I’m not sure how I missed all that. But then again I don’t do alot of hanging out on the boards. So do I understand correctly that anyone involved can offer up a prize? It’s not restricted to moderators? If that’s the case, very cool. But on the other hand, as a newcomer I would feel...
  7. LAGreg

RRBBO16

What about something like this? Keep the two classes as-is, but have a series of “prizes” as well: best electric, best custom paint job, best bolt-on, best cut-weld, best no budget, best high budget, the options are endless. This way, there may only be a few bikes in a category that won’t...
  8. LAGreg

RRBBO16

As a newbie - only two BO's and still single digit builds overall - I'm a way different class of builder than the guys who weld and work on cars. I also try to keep my budget as low as humanly possible (I have a serious guitar and tattoo habit and save my money for that). I like the idea of...
  9. LAGreg

Loopy He-Man aka: Sprocket and Hubs

I particularly like the shot in front of the abandoned Sears.
  10. LAGreg

'66 Convertible

This was a purchase from a lady selling it as "yard art" because she thought it was unridable. I showed her! (she was actually very nice). I was blown away by how much of the original color came back. I lost a lot of pin striping by barely touching it but there was really no way around that. New...
  11. LAGreg

‘66 Convertible

Done. I left the seat as is. I harvested a pink set of pedals from another kid’s bike. I painted them red but they were too red so I went over them with a few misty layers of tan. Took away just enough punch to fit in. Handlebars got de-rusted and painted silver. It’s amazing how much color...
  12. LAGreg

‘66 Convertible

Turns out it’s just one piece with the lip folded over. The rivets are holding the spring on. So short of replacing the seat entirely I’m just going to leave it as-is.
  13. LAGreg

‘66 Convertible

Nearly done. Last point is the seat. All padding is long gone. It also is basically in one piece as the post is welded to the saddle. And it has a thin seat post. I’m inclined to simply leave it as is, short of finding a vintage replacement. A new replacement will be out of place and I’m not...
  14. LAGreg

‘66 Convertible

The original pedals were not threaded to the cranks, also one was missing. They had a specialized bolt with a washer/nut holding it on. I was able to harvest pedals from a kid's bike that fit and are in the ballpark color-wise. I needed new bolts because the existing one wouldn't fit through the...
  15. LAGreg

‘66 Convertible

Is that a thing?
Back