Recent content by dougschne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. D

1960 Something

Done! I did bob the rear fender and I think it works. Thanks for looking.
  2. D

1960 Something

Got the chain on and added the chain guard. Thought i would see what it would look like with the fenders on. The rear fender isn't too pretty. Any thoughts? Still might bob the rear fender. It does ride OK.
  3. D

1960 Something

Here's what I use for spreading rear dropouts; Usually works
  4. D

1960 Something

Yup, I have a tool I made for spreading dropouts that works well. A piece of 3/8" threaded rod with nuts and fender washers that I put between the dropouts and start turning the nuts. I've done several 135mm spreads and usually crank it out to 150mm and let it set for a bit and then undo. Works...
  5. D

1960 Something

Yeah, I tried to spread the frame but it kept coming back to the original gap. Tried 4 times letting it set overnight, etc. but no results so I gave up.
  6. D

1960 Something

Thanks for the compliments. I looked it over again tonite and can't find any kinks in the fork or headtube. Also the front rim had no damage if it was hit hard enough to bend a fork. What do you think about bobbing the rear fender. The fender stays are pretty bent up. Also an 8 speed internal...
  7. D

1960 Something

OK. So I found this in a barn a couple of weeks ago and found this website shortly thereafter and was inspired to do something with this bike. My original intention was to add a derailuer and some mountain bike tires but the rear drop outs wouldn't allow that so I went with the cruiser instead...
  8. D

new to site

I checked the serial number on the left rear dropout and it begins with a B so it's a 1960. Also, a photo of the head badge if you have any idea. Thanks for the help.
  9. D

new to site

Thanks all for the replies and like I said, I think I'll like this site.
  10. D

new to site

OK. I'm going to try the photo upload Top and 2nd photos are the his and hers 1980 Schwinn Traveler's I just completed. The guys recieved used Shimano 105 componets where I could and the ladies was all original Schwinn except wheels and handle bars. The men's cruiser I haven't been able to...
  11. D

new to site

Hey all, I'm not new to biking just new to your site. I enjoy bringing the old back to useable life and I enjoy riding. Recently just finished 2 1980 Schwinn Traveler rebuilds that were garage sale finds and just purchased 2 barn finds. And old 24" Hiawatha girls bike and an unknown 26" mens...
Back