Recent content by brentville

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. B

Ride Hard, Turn Left: The Penrose Velodrome

Just a short note to let everyone know about my documentary on track riding at the Penrose Veledrome in St. Louis. This is one of only 23 velodromes in the country and its been in action for 50 years now. Known as "Mr. Bumpy Face" for it's less than smooth surface, the track was the site of...
  2. B

dumpster Fixie, new handlebars and saddle :o

Re: dumpster Fixie, new snake skin saddle :o My concern is using JB Weld to hold the rear cog in place. I love me some JB Weld but I think you really need a lock ring to hold that cog securely in place or a couple of real welds if the hub isn't threaded to take a lock ring.
  3. B

Fixed gear on a fixed income

Yeah this is the original center pull front brake from the continental. A side pull brake might look a bit cleaner but I don't have a real high quality spare one now and I do want some stopping power. It would look even cleaner without a front brake but I'm not ready for that yet. Anyone have...
  4. B

Yeah got the schwinn kickstand out and capped it with a handle bar plug. In true hipster fashion I probably should have used the bottle cap from a PBR but I'm just not that cool.
  5. B

Ok got some more progress on this but it's two steps forward and one step back.... Got it mocked up with the original Scwhinn seat and and new wheels. Will probably run a 14t and 16 t on the hub for starters. I was going to use the original 52t Letour chainring up front but it's just too...
  6. B

This is the bottom bracket converter/adapter that allows you to swap out the old dogleg one piece crank set for a modern 3 piece set. It works pretty nicely and looks good. First you have to drive out the original BB bearing cups and clean up the BB. Then drive in each piece of the new...
  7. B

Re: Fixed gear on a fixed income *Update* Got it painted and looking a little like a bike again
  8. B

Re: Fixed gear on a fixed income *Update* Went to the local bike coop this morning looking for some goodies for the bike. Found a half chrome fork to replace the original with the stem still stuck in it. May need to cut it down about a 1/2" in length to get it to fit. Keeping with the...
  9. B

Neo- Klunker Build

Some assembly required! I think you may need more than the leatherman in the picture to put it all together.
  10. B

Re: Fixed gear on a fixed income *Update* The documentary is still being edited. It looks at the history of the Pnerose Veledrome and track racing in St. Louis. A few of the local riders went up to the Chicago track this Summer and did pretty well. Probably the end of the year for the doc...
  11. B

Grinding the cable bosses down I went ahead and sanded and primed the frame and then got looking at the cable bosses. I decided they really did need to go. So I got out the angle grinder and a file and went to work. I broke the "tabs" off of the bosses with pliers and thought about a...
  12. B

Re: Fixed gear on a fixed income FORKED! I had planned to use the original pretty chrome fork on this project. All I'd have to do is remove the stem and lube the bearings etc and be good to go. I have never had a stem so stubborn that I couldn't remove in one fashion or another...til...
  13. B

Not keeping the original drop handlebars on the bike. They go in the "Sale bin". I have a no name set of aluminum drop bars that I gave the chop and drop to. While an angle grinder is my tool of choice for cutting, in this case the pipe cutter worked great on the aluminum bars. Quiet and...
  14. B

Pictures and Priorities

It's a bit embarrassing to admit to but I believe I have as many or a few more pictures of bikes and bike parts on my phone than I do of family and friends. It's a little awkward when I can't show my mom a recent picture of my daughter but can show her a picture of a 1940's Hiawatha. Anyone...
  15. B

After spending a lot of the spring and summer shooting a documentary on track racing in St. Louis, I am jumping on the fixed gear bandwagon and going to build one. And like most, I'm going to try do it a cheaply as possible by using what I've got and selling the parts I don't need or want to...
Back