A Long Tale - Final Build Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or longtail, cargo bike, extended bike, xtra bike, whatever you like.
There actually is a somewhat long tale that lead up to this one, I'll touch on that a little bit later.
But first, here's where we stand as of yesterday.
Start of Build: 2nd week in May
I didn't really think about entering this in the BO..but hey, good timing.
This bike is not finished yet.

Franco :happy:

27107126434_5d5241d1f2_b.jpg

27719313305_718546dfe2_b.jpg

Took it around the block several times yesterday...there'll be questions? ;) Fun ride.

Last edited:
I just started uploading and got the internal server error again...then, I can't connect to the site at all. This is the only site on the entire net that I have constant problems with.
I tell ya, I get no respect.
RodneyDangerfield.jpg

Anyway, back to the Tale...and soon time for bed, it's all pretty cool. ;)
This bike has gone through several iterations till I got tired of looking at it... and was put way in the back of the shed for a while, while I worked on servicing, and flipping quite a few other bikes.
Here's the original bike, that I 'rescued' off of the scrapper next street over...I did Identify it at one time, I believe, as a early 90s Huffy Thunder Ridge.

27644983221_43c2d17133_c.jpg

And, some of the changes to the bike before I dragged it out again to finally complete my Long Bike...which is part of the Tale..(we'll get to that")

27107134314_e2cfd734bd_b.jpg

27644992161_5508c40698_b.jpg

27107133314_a88e80249c_c.jpg

27107132634_1d3b15170c_b.jpg

This is about where I put it away for a long while..moved that top bar around more than an army brat, and would move it again for the Long Tale

27685414496_864864884c_b.jpg

So, about a month ago..a little more, I wanted to start on a Long Bike project...and had a couple of donors around...but there it was, in the back of the shed, just callin' out to me...so, time to start hacking some pipe, adding some inserts and extending stays..
27644952801_190217f3cd_b.jpg

27685445266_d797b68689_b.jpg

27685425066_39ae46f487_b.jpg

More to come....;)

Last edited:
Yes, actually, the 'tale' is pretty simple Chad....for the longest time I've wanted to build a long bike. And all I could see within my grasp of assorted power tools, grinders, sawz-all, bolts nuts and things were the bikes where they hook the rear dropouts of one bike to the BB of a triangle from a donor bike...and then bolt it on up.....*and I never liked that look*...or all of the bracing underneath to shore it up. Too busy...too clunky...I wanted a smoother longer frame...much longer.

Then, I finally got a welder. since money is tight here at the Ponderoski..:bigsmile:. all I could afford a cheapo HF fluxcore and a self darkening helmet...and I'm going to say now...I Love IT
**To all of my bike building friends who say..." Someday, I'll afford a real welder and be able to create some more unique stuff"...I implore you...don't wait' You could die waiting. **
Spend a hundred bucks on one of these, and you'll be stickin' pipe together by the end of the day. Wifey won't be able to get you in the house.

This welder sticks metal together, it's about the size of a tower computer...and no worries about gas tanks argon, etc., I know why it's (gas) used, but who needs it..plus I work in a breezeway, and it is (breezy, windy)...so gas is blown away, and you're back to fluxcore anyway, usually.
Keep it simple stupid...I learned that one the hard way. OY

But.....
"Franco..Will you ever get that 'stack of dimes' look on a weld"...Not a chance , Never, ever

"Does it require a lot of cleaning and finishing".. Yep..A ton. the weld looks more like a cottage cheese sculpture made out of iron. Ha...but the price was right and, I've also fixed a wheelbarrow, a heavy duty hauling cart and made up various little bike helper tools in like 15 minutes.

I can literally drag this setup out of the shed, tack a piece in place to look at or to shore something up and have it put back away in the shed in about 4 minutes....Where before, I'd be looking through my 'bolt and nut supply' for about a half an hour to find the right one..and then...have to run to the hardware store anyway.
:arghh:
So, I wanted a uni-weld frame...and I found just the right pipe on the side of the road...(that pipe that has the rings around it)...it's perfect diameter, and perfect gauge...although I don't know what because I don't really know anything about gauges , I can just tell by looking and feel by now. OH..and don't believe about how the AC welders aren't powerful enough, If I run it up past no. 4 on the minimum setting...I'll blow the pipe into the neighbors yard.

I want really to tell fellow builders to just grab a simple welder to get started..Start somewhere, if money is tight....practice a little..and then GRAB SOME PIPE AND start sticking stuff together.Just accept that your welds are gonna be butt ugly at first...probably everyone is going to jump you and tell you that you need Gas, you need Tig, You need a 1000 dollar arc welder , Fluxcore will never work...they're wrong. .I can pound a nail in with my shoe if I don't have a hammer.
And lets face it kids..most of us are on third base, nexxt stop is Home Plate...how much more do you want to wait?

That's all I'm going to say about my welding experience
. Your experience may vary. :happy:

27644978091_16edca972f_b.jpg

Now hey, look at that crazy 'jig' hahaha...line up tires on looong piece of straight angle iron, plumb upright...clamp everything together with a long stick..check rake, check pedal clearance, all angles...use your eye..it's the best tool in your box. :)

Thanks for looking
Franco

Yes, actually, the 'tale' is pretty simple Chad....for the longest time I've wanted to build a long bike. And all I could see within my grasp of assorted power tools, grinders, sawz-all, bolts nuts and things were the bikes where they hook the rear dropouts of one bike to the BB of a triangle from a donor bike...and then bolt it on up.....*and I never liked that look*...or all of the bracing underneath to shore it up. Too busy...too clunky...I wanted a smoother longer frame...much longer.

Then, I finally got a welder. since money is tight here at the Ponderoski..:bigsmile:. all I could afford a cheapo HF fluxcore and a self darkening helmet...and I'm going to say now...I Love IT
**To all of my bike building friends who say..." Someday, I'll afford a real welder and be able to create some more unique stuff"...I implore you...don't wait' You could die waiting. **
Spend a hundred bucks on one of these, and you'll be stickin' pipe together by the end of the day. Wifey won't be able to get you in the house.

This welder sticks metal together, it's about the size of a tower computer...and no worries about gas tanks argon, etc., I know why it's (gas) used, but who needs it..plus I work in a breezeway, and it is (breezy, windy)...so gas is blown away, and you're back to fluxcore anyway, usually.
Keep it simple stupid...I learned that one the hard way. OY

But.....
"Franco..Will you ever get that 'stack of dimes' look on a weld"...Not a chance , Never, ever

"Does it require a lot of cleaning and finishing".. Yep..A ton. the weld looks more like a cottage cheese sculpture made out of iron. Ha...but the price was right and, I've also fixed a wheelbarrow, a heavy duty hauling cart and made up various little bike helper tools in like 15 minutes.

I can literally drag this setup out of the shed, tack a piece in place to look at or to shore something up and have it put back away in the shed in about 4 minutes....Where before, I'd be looking through my 'bolt and nut supply' for about a half an hour to find the right one..and then...have to run to the hardware store anyway.
:arghh:
So, I wanted a uni-weld frame...and I found just the right pipe on the side of the road...(that pipe that has the rings around it)...it's perfect diameter, and perfect gauge...although I don't know what because I don't really know anything about gauges , I can just tell by looking and feel by now. OH..and don't believe about how the AC welders aren't powerful enough, If I run it up past no. 4 on the minimum setting...I'll blow the pipe into the neighbors yard.

I want really to tell fellow builders to just grab a simple welder to get started..Start somewhere, if money is tight....practice a little..and then GRAB SOME PIPE AND start sticking stuff together.Just accept that your welds are gonna be butt ugly at first...probably everyone is going to jump you and tell you that you need Gas, you need Tig, You need a 1000 dollar arc welder , Fluxcore will never work...they're wrong. .I can pound a nail in with my shoe if I don't have a hammer.
And lets face it kids..most of us are on third base, nexxt stop is Home Plate...how much more do you want to wait?

That's all I'm going to say about my welding experience. Your experience may vary. :happy:

27644978091_16edca972f_b.jpg

Now hey, look at that crazy 'jig' hahaha...line up tires on looong piece of straight angle iron, plumb upright...clamp everything together with a long stick..check rake, check pedal clearance, all angles...use your eye..it's the best tool in your box. :)
Thanks for looking
Franco

This post is awesome :41:.

And here's another one of building the bike while clamping in place.
Right away I could tell..uh oh, going to have to move that top tube again, so lets get that outta ' there.
27441333860_791cb22ec5_b.jpg

I'm sure there are many ways to end up at the same place, but this is just a brief record of how I kept everything 'together' so to speak. I'd leave it clamped there, and work on other stuff...keep looking at it..stand back, walk around it...and it will come to you what the next move is.
But, even at this stage, I would unclamp it from it's jig...although unrideable at this point, you could still walk it around the yard or up and down the street to see how it's 'feeling'. Tracking, balance , etc. .
27644956361_1cb5384f03_b.jpg

a bit out of order but...
O
nce chain stays were cut, time to decide how long to extend bike.
I just put some various lengths of PVC pipe on the ends of the stays to visualize length, or stretch.
Seemed like 2ft. (approx 61 cm. was about right)
I cut two sleeves to fit inside...and all I had on hand that was chain stay size was some EMT conduit...I think it was 3/4" diam. or 5/8" something like that.
Tack weld the extendo-stays on...check on angle iron jig, clamp it plumb. and also eyeball down it from front, from back, standing, on your knees, ...make sure bike isn't 'twisted' front to back. Looks good?..OK then.. go ahead and finish welds.

27703734936_14c824e6a9_b.jpg

Now you can start tacking on angle iron rear deck to rear seat stay to give it some form. I used a 20" tire for the rear, so once everything is plumbed up, all you need to do is 'level' the top bars in place, clamp them, and tack weld away

27441328000_3517657278_b.jpg

27108940473_845aa80542_b.jpg

just tack the top bed irons into place, we'll go back later and fill in voids with some melted wire. ;)
27719274505_80ca35a85a_b.jpg

now, it has a bit of integrity, although still will shake like Jello until next steps, BUT, you can now stop plumbing it up, and you can flip it over to get at inaccessible spots, you can man handle it a bit at this point

27107130584_81c955467b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the build-off, finished result looks good.

Luke.
Thanks Luke
Not quite finished yet.
Plans:
to put wood on the back rack
matching panniers hanging from sides.looking for 3 matching each side..probably use some vintage bags from my collection or from Thrift.
Maybe different bars, although the straight bar feels comfortable for some reason.
Front Light.
More painting...and...gotta work out some details on chain tensioning and braking..I'll be posting more here.I just slapped an old derailleur on the back cuz I wanted to ride it already. lol.
The back also accepts a 24" wheel...and I'd like to get some input on that...(pictures coming.).I probably need your expert input down the road here.....I have questions....:happy:

Welcome to the build-off, finished result looks good.

Luke.

He gave us a sneak peak didn't he. I like the current pic then the back story. Kind of gives a different twist.

Great post about the welding. I've got some ideas I'd like to try with some old frame pieces sometime. Welding sure does open up a lot of options.

Get us up to speed with the new ideas. That's where you really get the benefit of being part of a build off. Getting other points of view of what you're looking at.

But.....

pretty much the same story for me , why i waited so long ?:39::thumbsup:

But.....
"Franco..You can actually can get that 'stack of dimes' look on a fluxcore weld" :wink1:
pretty hard on round tubing but doable with good prep and the right setting and technique
i manage to do it on plates, but not there yet on tubings
GJ !:rockout:

Last edited:
He gave us a sneak peak didn't he. I like the current pic then the back story. Kind of gives a different twist.

Great post about the welding. I've got some ideas I'd like to try with some old frame pieces sometime. Welding sure does open up a lot of options.

Get us up to speed with the new ideas. That's where you really get the benefit of being part of a build off. Getting other points of view of what you're looking at.

hmm, I kindof started with a peak of where we're at now...then to how we got there.
I'd say it's about 3/4 done or maybe a bit more...
You've got some ideas Chad? I'm sure you do...I've seen your stuff
grab a welder off the rack, plug it in your regular AC socket....and go to town...you probably spend more on treats and coffee all week. :happy:

pretty much the same story for me , why i waited so long ?:39::thumbsup:

But.....
"Franco..You can actually get that 'stack of dimes' look on a fluxcore weld" :wink1:
pretty hard on round tubing but doable with good prep and the right setting and technique
i manage to do it on plates, but not there yet on tubings
GJ !:rockout:

:thumbsup:
Why I waited so long? see, there it is again.
  • If you really want to be intimidated, jump on to one of the 'welding' forums. My God, they're brutal. lol
Totally agree about what material you're working on OneHorsePower...absolutely. bikes are a challenge, round joints and thin pipe, that's what makes it fun.
When I first got this toy, I practiced for about ...oh 30 seconds.....and then jumped right on to bike welding. blew out some tubes till I got it figured out...(well, sorta figured out)

u
nfortunately, I havent' found any thick plates on bikes so far...

I actually don't think I'll ever really need anything more for just messin' with bikes and stuff, I mean, I'm not planning on doing any bridge welding soon.

I think we research stuff way too much, (clarify: I think I do maybe others' do too, I don't know.) The only reason we don't try lots of stuff is because of intimidation, not usually lack of funds, cuz we pisssz away money like nothin' on other stuff.
anyway.......
Right on this site, I have been so motivated, I see such precision, inventive, intuitive stuff by the best bike modders and builders on the net, hands down...doing primo stuff I'm still dreamin' about, and probably could NEVER do, and then I'm always shocked to hear they have never welded....when you know they would ace it...Blows my mind.

images

:thumbsup:
Why I waited so long? see, there it is again.
  • If you really want to be intimidated, jump on to one of the 'welding' forums. My God, they're brutal. lol
Totally agree about what material you're working on OneHorsePower...absolutely. bikes are a challenge, round joints and thin pipe, that's what makes it fun.
When I first got this toy, I practiced for about ...oh 30 seconds.....and then jumped right on to bike welding. blew out some tubes till I got it figured out...(well, sorta figured out)

u
nfortunately, I havent' found any thick plates on bikes so far...

I actually don't think I'll ever really need anything more for just messin' with bikes and stuff, I mean, I'm not planning on doing any bridge welding soon.

I think we research stuff way too much, (clarify: I think I do maybe others' do too, I don't know.) The only reason we don't try lots of stuff is because of intimidation, not usually lack of funds, cuz we pisssz away money like nothin' on other stuff.
anyway.......
Right on this site, I have been so motivated, I see such precision, inventive, intuitive stuff by the best bike modders and builders on the net, hands down...doing primo stuff I'm still dreamin' about, and probably could NEVER do, and then I'm always shocked to hear they have never welded....when you know they would ace it...Blows my mind.

images
Amen !
you are a well expressed sage man sir !:praise:

Dig this build and the thread it's in.
Well put on welding, nothing to be afraid of. I've never used flux core before (only gas), but will when I get home and get back in my garage.

Latest posts

Back