ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some interweb searches, I happened upon this thread here on RRB:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/elgin-motorbike-serial-numbers.18481/

(Good info on Elgin history in the 20's-30's)

In the thread, the OP (Boardtrack fan) had 3 bikes. Two were this style...

081.jpg

...and then this style...

Elgin.jpg

My frame is more like the second, with the longer head tube and the mid-bar meets the head tube, not the down tube.

The OP even questions whether or not this bike is even an Elgin. The original owner of my frame mentioned he thought my frame might be a 1928 model. Searching for 1928 Elgin, I found this...

1928%20Elgin%20side%20SM.jpg

...which looks remarkably like mine AND the green bike above.

SOOOOO, unless others can find fault in my logic, I have a 1928 Elgin Moto-Bike, probably manufactured for Sears by Westfield Mfg.!

EDIT: Assuming my frame is Elgin, and assuming it was built by Westfield, AND assuming all Westfield bikes used the same serial number sequencing (including Columbia)....My frame is actually a 1927, as the Columbia bikes of this year had a serial number prefix of "E".....

Last edited:
Doing some interweb searches, I happened upon this thread here on RRB:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/elgin-motorbike-serial-numbers.18481/

(Good info on Elgin history in the 20's-30's)

In the thread, the OP (Boardtrack fan) had 3 bikes. Two were this style...

081.jpg

...and then this style...

Elgin.jpg

My frame is more like the second, with the longer head tube and the mid-bar meets the head tube, not the down tube.

The OP even questions whether or not this bike is even an Elgin. The original owner of my frame mentioned he thought my frame might be a 1928 model. Searching for 1928 Elgin, I found this...

1928%20Elgin%20side%20SM.jpg

...which looks remarkably like mine AND the green bike above.

SOOOOO, unless others can find fault in my logic, I have a 1928 Elgin Moto-Bike, probably manufactured for Sears by Westfield Mfg.!

EDIT: Assuming my frame is Elgin, and assuming it was built by Westfield, AND assuming all Westfield bikes used the same serial number sequencing (including Columbia)....My frame is actually a 1927, as the Columbia bikes of this year had a serial number prefix of "E".....
Wish there was CWC info like that, the frame I'm using has three digits stamped in the bb. No idea what they mean.

Ok, I had a very productive evening!!! Took the old broken Model A front leaf spring above and cut three leaves to the required length, ground the cut edge smooth, and reversed the main spring eye to where it was on top.

Then I drilled the main spring to accept an alignment/mounting bolt. I made a spring band/mounting plate out of some 12 gauge stainless and installed the spring on the fork.

The result was very satisfying and pleasing to the eye...well, at least MY eye!! [emoji12]

d0893f6ffa190b9edd2ea555684d13c0.jpg

2482a074bef2fbf9a374085fd2616820.jpg

801b2a7e03d4cb7b32e8c74136b32682.jpg

My next session will be to build a springer seat mount!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great frame and loving the plans so far!

Luke.

Thanks Luke! Gotta do some extra credit fabrication to compensate for the otherwise bland frame...at least in comparison to all these aluminum units coming out of secret vaults! ;)

BTWs.....Are you sitting this one out??

Thanks Luke! Gotta do some extra credit fabrication to compensate for the otherwise bland frame...at least in comparison to all these aluminum units coming out of secret vaults! ;)

^ I was wondering the same thing Brett.....would it be a RRB build off without LTJ in the mix?!? And...your leaf spring looks awesome! Can't wait to see how / what you attach to it!

^ I was wondering the same thing Brett.....would it be a RRB build off without LTJ in the mix?!? And...your leaf spring looks awesome! Can't wait to see how / what you attach to it!
Yep, bench warming on this one... Just too cold this time of year down under.

Luke.

Yep, bench warming on this one... Just too cold this time of year down under.

Luke.

Yep, I'm sure the seasonal difference makes a "difference"!! I've always wondered what it would be like to celebrate Christmas in the middle of summer....with shorts and flip-flops....on the beach....with a cold one in one hand and a fishing rod in the other....

...Wake up Brett!!! Quit daydreaming.....

Yeah brother I'm digging that leaf.
I wonder though if there will be room for travel?
My guess is you'll fab some rocker plates that give you an inch or so...

Boba Fett.

The leaf springs look awesome! That's something that's been on my to-do list for a while.
Yeah brother I'm digging that leaf.
I wonder though if there will be room for travel?
My guess is you'll fab some rocker plates that give you an inch or so...

Boba Fett.

Thanks guys!

TRM, it's been on my bucket list as well. Just so happens I had an old too-far-gone spring in my stash of Model A stuff! The other end of the main leaf is going to be my seat spring (I think!) and the rest will be stock for a new hobby...knife making!!

Here's the first of many...

3efeb60f75544b3cc0772fe09533be19.jpg

Carl

My thinking is that the fork will be set up similar to a truss-rod fork...Pseudo-faux springer...just a strut rod from axle to spring eye...

Thoughts??

Well the spring should handle the weight if the mount to the fork is strong enough... A triangle shaped rocker would lift it an inch or so and I'd mount it backwards like the rockers on a rat trap springers. Now, the spring mount, how is it clamped or bolted? Something like a stem pinch bolt from the underside might work if the fork tube has a hole in the bottom... That's probably the most important connection, the spring to the fork, it can't be loose or lightweight. But I have no real experience just trying to think logically.

Carl.

Carl

The spring mount is just 12 ga stainless sheet cut and formed to wrap the springs together and provide tabs to mount the spring to the fender provisions on the Schwinn forks. There's no through-hole on the underside of the crown, and I don't really want to drill it (although its not a bad idea...). If I just build strut rods, I get the effect without the travel....but travel WOULD be nice.... :giggle:

Carl

The spring mount is just 12 ga stainless sheet cut and formed to wrap the springs together and provide tabs to mount the spring to the fender provisions on the Schwinn forks. There's no through-hole on the underside of the crown, and I don't really want to drill it (although its not a bad idea...). If I just build strut rods, I get the effect without the travel....but travel WOULD be nice.... :giggle:
Hey the look is cool and if you get all your other plans for this done you can always revisit the idea at the end. (if time permits) I like it, doing it that way might just be the best of both worlds.

Carl.

Working or not, leaf spring fork is very cool.
Knife is looking good too, my stepson is a blacksmith. Its a tough hobby, but very rewarding.

Working or not, leaf spring fork is very cool.
Knife is looking good too, my stepson is a blacksmith. Its a tough hobby, but very rewarding.

Yeah, not really blacksmithing in these, just find something close and grind it until it looks like you think it should! :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words! Just here to have fun...and compete where I can!

Latest posts

Back