Wooden bicycle. longgg project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few years ago my bro made a double bicycle (it is how it sounds. 2 bicycles ontop of eachother) and it got me rather interested in them and making one altho i dont have any expiernce with metal or with bicycles. but i do have a woodworking degree so i decided to make one from wood after some youtube inspirations. I started with a big desk top. and kinda tried to use as most of it as possible. but ended up using other pieces since i didnt have enough.

Been working for it for 4 years now altho it has been atleast in the shed for 50% of that time.
after i got a job i started working on it there since i was allowed to.

Old phone so crappy pic of the start of it. i just kinda drew it. and kinda winged it since i didnt have a clue of what i was doing.

After lots of sanding and more sanding. had my dad make some plates for the wheels and sawed of a steering bracket and made it fit (sorry dont know the proper names)

Steer. made from the pieces i had left.

Had a bottom bracket in it but wasnt happy of how it fit so i'm redoing that part atm

After lots of brainstorming and such i decided to try out copper inlays for some detailing like the pedals.
trying out some stuff

Used the wheels from a cruiser i bought to get me a bit more motivated ^.^ (still not clued. but atleast it was rolling.)

Slowly Slowly i;m getting further :p

Luke

AWESOME! That's the coolest bike I ever seen man, love the use of the grain around the "tank" and all over the bike for that matter. That thing defines the phrase "head turner". Im curious where the cranks are gonna end up with that seating position....

Yes, a very cool build. You've got some good wood working skills. Well done.

AWESOME! That's the coolest bike I ever seen man, love the use of the grain around the "tank" and all over the bike for that matter. That thing defines the phrase "head turner". Im curious where the cranks are gonna end up with that seating position....
Well it should kinda end ad the part that u can see. it diffently wont be the easiest or the nicest thing to ride on. but atleast it will look cool. and corners probably gonna be my worst nightmare.

Closed the hole for the bottom bracket cuz wasn't happy with it.

Attachments

• 20160206_140030.jpg
    20160206_140030.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 360
You certainly have vision, skill and sticktoitivesness for a young fella, heck even more than most old fellas too.
That is an awesome project. Are you strictly inspired to keep it eco friendly pedal powered or would you consider trying a small engine kit install at some point to maybe help you with the uphills?
Thanks for bringing your build to RRB.

You certainly have vision, skill and sticktoitivesness for a young fella, heck even more than most old fellas too.
That is an awesome project. Are you strictly inspired to keep it eco friendly pedal powered or would you consider trying a small engine kit install at some point to maybe help you with the uphills?
Thanks for bringing your build to RRB.

Thank u. Glad to have found this forum there are some awesome builds. and i wouldnt be allowed to ride on it if i put a engine on it even if i wanted to sadly. u cant even have a electric bicycle if it isnt assist only. Or u have to get it insured (or how its called)

So i finally got my order in and it made me so happy O.O i got some wheels and lilbits. its a 3speed so gonna have to figuur out the shifter thing thats gonna be fun.

put the shifter thingle thingy in. no clue how its called.

always new issues >.<

I see a suicide shifter made of wood in your future :D Looking good man, you have great skills and patience. If i tried that, it would never look like a bicycle and end up as firewood. My hats off to ya.

This keeps looking good alienface. I'm not a wood worker so bear with me here. Can you make a tunnel in the wood to run the shifter cable through to connect to the hub lever on the rear wheel, that way you could hide the cable and still use the hub.

This keeps looking good alienface. I'm not a wood worker so bear with me here. Can you make a tunnel in the wood to run the shifter cable through to connect to the hub lever on the rear wheel, that way you could hide the cable and still use the hub.

I ain't planning to hide the cable ad all I got some thin copper pipe where the cable fits in snuggly. And gonna make that through the frame

Looking awesome!
always new issues >.<
That is the problem with doing something new and exciting, but the benefits far outweigh the problems! :thumbsup:

Keep the progress coming!

Luke.

whoo got a axle :p

Had my bro make the plate a bit bigger so i have more space to screw it down. since the shifter thingy gets on the otherside.

Gonna have to learn how to paint soon o_O

Your going to paint it? I have to say, I was really liking the wood look!

Luke.
For now i just ment the steel parts and such so they ownt rust. the bicycle is gonna be painted to but u will see. gonna have the painter make a test for me so will take a picture of that when its done.

Latest posts

Back