Junkyard Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my latest build and this is the first time I went dumpster diving. I went there four days later after one of my bike club buddies posted on Facebook (Oct 1) a pick spot in one of the districts of Manila. I went there on a Monday morning and it was already raided by several bike enthusiasts through the weekend. It was a junkyard with tons of NOS parts left out in the open. Talk about paradise! Just about 30 minutes picking, 2 groups; 1 from the lowrider bike club and a bike shop owner arrived. Now it was a mad scramble to score a good find. Luckily for me 2 of my buddies from the club arrived and helped me out and also grab some parts as well.
IMG_20151005_125603.jpg

After risking multiple tetanus shots I was able to score these.
IMG_20151005_144903.jpg

IMG_20151005_173342.jpg
IMG_20151005_172830.jpg

IMG_20151005_172906.jpg

2 straight bars, 2 arch frames & 1 mini velo. Scored!
IMG_20151006_155308.jpg

That afternoon the junkyard was picked dry of cruiser and vintage frames. All that was left were 20" cantis and BMX parts and frames. I went back there 2 days ago to score a couple of rims and canti frames for future muscle bike projects but it was all gone! They already sent it all out to be melted! :20: Anyway, it was still a good haul. All for the cost of the weight of the metal, around $14!

So without further ado here's the build. This is probably my most cost-efficient to date. I only used what I had in my spare parts bin. I used the lugged straight bar.
IMG_20151011_161417.jpg

The fork I was to use was too short...
IMG_20151006_163055.jpg

...but nothing a hacksaw couldn't fix ;-)
IMG_20151006_163118.jpg

IMG_20151006_170812.jpg

IMG_20151012_085658.jpg

IMG_20151012_092424.jpg

...and voila!
IMG_20151018_154009.jpg

Dig the custom rear cat fender? ;-)
IMG_20151018_154106.jpg

Last edited:
HA! I used the same method to put a springer fork on a giant built schwinn frame, gotta be precise with that hacksaw! :D
Your Klunker came out great! Neat color!
Any idea who mfg. the frames you picked? Wonder if some were new seing as they look wrapped in very old plastic...

Looks great! I enjoy your builds.
Pretty simply and straight forward but really cool results. Good job Joe Conde!
Look forward to seeing your truss frame builds.

Wow! Score!
Awesome bike and some awesome parts there too!
Looking forward to seeing more of that minivelo...

Luke.
Oh yeah, can't wait to get my hands on that one as well. I've also recently built a mini velo but my god daughter kinda took over it so this would probably be mine :)

Last edited:
HA! I used the same method to put a springer fork on a giant built schwinn frame, gotta be precise with that hacksaw! :D
Your Klunker came out great! Neat color!
Any idea who mfg. the frames you picked? Wonder if some were new seing as they look wrapped in very old plastic...
Thanks buddy! No idea about the manufacturers, our guess they’re local or Taiwanese and Japanese made. Yes, they were all new and unused, still wrapped in plastic and left there to rot. There were also dozens of sacks of sprockets, axles, spokes, and assorted parts. We suspect it was an old bike shop that went out of business ages ago and dumped everything there. Lucky for us :)

Looks great! I enjoy your builds.
Pretty simply and straight forward but really cool results. Good job Joe Conde!
Look forward to seeing your truss frame builds.

Much appreciated sir! Funny that you mentioned the truss frame as I already have the tires, rims, fork and handlebars for it! I'll probably be sleeping in the living room as soon as my wife learns about my next project though! haha!

What's the story on all of those frames and parts? That looks like a RRB member's paradise!

Oh definitely, we were like little kids let loose in Willy Wonka's factory. As for the frames and parts, the owner doesn't have a clue either. It was brought to their junk shop to be chopped, sorted and sent out to be melted. Seeing as all the frames were still wrapped in plastic and whole sacks containing either sprockets, pedals or spokes we're guessing it came from one of the older bike shops that have probably went out of business.

Latest posts

Back