vehicle safety discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A co-worker of mine rolled a 24' flatbed truck 8 times. It was fully loaded with 16,000 lbs of compressed gas cylinders. He had to kick the windshield out to get free but only had a small scratch. He grabbed his Bible and walked away. It was amazing to see him and then look at the totalled truck.
I got knocked off my Harley by a mattress doing 70mph on the freeway. I bounced and slid down the road for quite a ways. Went to get up and realized my right wrist was shattered. A nurse had stopped behind me to block traffic from running me over. She asked if my back hurt. I asked her why she was asking. I about passed out when I turned to look at my reflection in her side window. They wanted to do skin grafts due to the road rash I had but used some kind of special bandage instead. I was just getting better and fell off my work truck and broke my leg. I'm still healing up from all this stuff and feeling lucky to be alive.
Man that'd make you mess your pants, lucky the gas cylinders didn't rupture and catch fire. And how did you get hit by a mattress on the highway?

Man that'd make you mess your pants, lucky the gas cylinders didn't rupture and catch fire. And how did you get hit by a mattress on the highway?
i almost hit a mattress once it flew off the guys roof and before he could stop to get it i came up on it.
luckily i jacked the rear brake and dumped it before i hit it.
believe it or not that happens more often then you'd think some people do not realize how to tie them down and once their airborne their gone .
and i agree glad the gas cylinders did not explode i don't think i would want to roll a flatbed full of gas tanks.
my only other rollover was not a full; roll but tipped on it's side driving a duptruck and cornered too fast.
once i got it up on it's wheels i drove it away with justa broken mirror and hood flapping.
the irony is i was only 1/2 mile from my shop at the time.
i don't wanna sound like im on some good drugs cuz sadly i am not :crazy: but i believe when somethings unexplainable then the god(s) are sending us a reminder of how much we take life for granted and we need to be reminded how quick it could end.
my 2 cents anyways lol.
Sean

Yeah I see it all the time in Indiana, not securing a load and 3 guys in the back of the truck holding it. Some people don't know what ratchet straps are.

The mattress was in the road and the car in front of me ran it over. The wind caught it and sent it flying up in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be off topic here but since it is a vehicle safety discussion, I'll say it anyway.
SCRUB LINE!!! I've seen quite a few cars posted with no scrub line(meaning your rockers and suspension sit lower than you rims if you get a flat). No, they are not cars that are bagged(trust me, I did look). Just way to low and put together without any forethought, aside from looking cool. How do you control 2(or more) tons of sliding steel? Answer, You don't.
Pic008_zps6497517b.jpg

That was just without even searching. If I dig around I could post a thousand more.
Scrub lines, they are important! Or you can look Kool in you Kasket.

Last edited:
I may be off topic here but since it is a vehicle safety discussion, I'll say it anyway.
SCRUB LINE!!! I've seen quite a few cars posted with no scrub line(meaning your rockers and suspension sit lower than you rims if you get a flat). No, they are not cars that are bagged(trust me, I did look). Just way to low and put together without any forethought, aside from looking cool. How do you control 2(or more) tons of sliding steel? Answer, You don't.
Pic008_zps6497517b.jpg

That was just without even searching. If I dig around I could post a thousand more.
Scrub lines, they are important! Or you can look Kool in you Kasket.
That's Hot rod building 101. I have seen so many cars over the years that would be a death trap if a tire blew.

funyn i built a couple of these ratrods and i never thoguht about getting a flat
i could imagine that it would really ruin you're day.
thankfully out here they do not have vehicle safety inspections but back in amss you could never get these cars on the road legally.
forward this video to 3.17 and see what happens when you need to go over a bump in one of these

although the deathtrap sounds awesome i lvoe the sound of that thing!!
sean

funny i built a couple of these rat rods and i never thought about getting a flat
thankfully out here they do not have vehicle safety inspections but back in mass you could never get these cars on the road legally.
forward this video to 3.17 and see what happens when you need to go over a bump in one of these

although the deathtrap sounds awesome i love the sound of that thing!!
Sean

sorry spell check fail had to respell a few words:banghead:

funyn i built a couple of these ratrods and i never thoguht about getting a flat
thankfully out here they do not have vehicle safety inspections but back in amss you could never get these cars on the road legally.

although the deathtrap sounds awesome i lvoe the sound of that thing!!
sean

Funny I have seen that video before. It was posted on the H.A.M.B.

Funny I have seen that video before. It was posted on the H.A.M.B.
yeah i think its hot rod magazine or something like that.
i love love love the deathtrap the sound the look and everything about it is cool.
but yeah not at all safe lol
we only live once though and if it's our time it's our time may as well go out doing whatcha love.
Sean

I don't think the too long too low look holds a candle to the classic mildly chopped and dropped.

side-shot-of-31.jpg

http://www.myrideisme.com/

Guarantee the chicks would still be diggin' it.:cool2: Some of the dudes might even quit drooling over the Lambo.

I also have found scrub line issues! Wish I had pictures!
Bagged Blazer, body drop on frame. It literally would put the rockers on the ground.
When a bag blew in the front, the SHOW truck died. All after I had said, "dude, that cool is deadly."
I should also mention that the kid was/is (stupid kills, he may be)
absolutely out of his mind on drugs. Once I was riding down a one way bike path, the kid hit me head on while riding a yamahopper! Yup, I beat him up! I say kid, he was 2 grades behind me.

My accident was going to Mobile, Al to pick up a old bicycle, going down the interstate just cruising along seen a truck full of aced lean tanks and propane tanks pass us up. Mile or two down they hit a bump and the lock gate that held them in unhooked or simply was not locked. several of the propane tanks bounced off the truck onto the highway. We made a hard left into the median and spun out. Waited for a minute to process what happened and sure enough almost got clipped by a state trooper in the process. After that was said and done and hours wasted waiting. We were sent on are way, but Still got the bicycle after the fun of a close heart attack and a half

I don't think the too long too low look holds a candle to the classic mildly chopped and dropped.

side-shot-of-31.jpg

Guarantee the chicks would still be diggin' it.:cool2: Some of the dudes might even quit drooling over the Lambo.
That's My kind of car. Mild chop and nothing to radical. Though I would prefer the Flathead be in it.

side-shot-of-31.jpg

That is nice but I'd much rather have the sexy curves of the 1940 Lincoln Zephyr. This is one of my bucket list cars.

d143f11a5053c8619b61c14affdb2059.jpg

My accident happened in February. it was about 8:30am, a bright sunny day. I'd just picked up my paycheck, and was on the way to the jobsite. Heading up the highway at the 65mph speed limit, in the right lane. All of a sudden, a huge BANG!, and the van made a hard left onto the grass median! Fortunately, the road has a wire fence separating the oncoming lanes! I finally came to a stop, after hitting a concrete anchor block, and a support post. The lower front ball joint snapped in two, jamming the wheel into the fender, and rendering me just a passenger! The van is a 95 Aerostar, which just turned 367,000 miles this week! I thought it was totaled at first, but after examining the suspension, the ball joint was really the only major damage. I changed that one, then drove it around the neighborhood. Drove about as well as it did before, so, I replaced the other three ball joints, and found four used tires at Pick A Part. I renamed it the "Zombie Van", since I'd revived it from the dead!
Before:

Can't seem to find my 'after' pics... -Adam

Latest posts

Back