Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took some time to color the sketches I drew earlier this week, and touch up the icon design for Poison Apple. Everything's still open for revision, but this is the direction I want to push this trike towards.
Poison_Apple Paint and Icon Idea.jpg

So what do you guys think? As always, I'm open to critique and other feedback.

I think you have some art skillz :thumbsup:. If the finished product comes out half as good as the drawing...it will be pretty dang cool :cool:.
Thanks RustyGold! Yeah, art's always been my greatest passion. It's one of the few things that allows me to relax and take my mind off my worries. It's especially fun when I get to use art in my other hobbies!

I seriously hope this trike turns out as good if not better than my initial sketches! I've got the funds, the ideas, and most of the parts... All I need now is a fabricator to help make the few parts and pieces I don't have.

Took some time to color the sketches I drew earlier this week, and touch up the icon design for Poison Apple. Everything's still open for revision, but this is the direction I want to push this trike towards.
View attachment 143926

So what do you guys think? As always, I'm open to critique and other feedback.
Fantastic! I like the bench seat between the bicycle style fenders. Shifted away from a car look. Think you might be able wheelie, and it's green!:cool2:

Fantastic! I like the bench seat between the bicycle style fenders. Shifted away from a car look. Think you might be able wheelie, and it's green!:cool2:
Thanks! Yeah, now it looks more like a "muscle trike." I'll definitely try to wheelie this bad apple when it gets built, but I'm not sure it'll work. I just hope green makes this trike go faster!

Dad did some powder coating yesterday, and shot this junk piece with the "Sparkle Granny Smith" green powder he had told me about.
BFtD_Poison_Apple26.jpg

It's a lot more metallic than I anticipated, but I love it! This is definitely the color for Poison Apple! Fitting too, since it's got "apple" in the name of the powder! It seriously feels like the whole theme I'm going for with this trike is meant to happen, and it's exciting!
27d.jpg

Dad did some powder coating yesterday, and shot this junk piece with the "Sparkle Granny Smith" green powder he had told me about.
View attachment 144190
It's a lot more metallic than I anticipated, but I love it! This is definitely the color for Poison Apple! Fitting too, since it's got "apple" in the name of the powder! It seriously feels like the whole theme I'm going for with this trike is meant to happen, and it's exciting!
View attachment 144191
That green is sick!!!

More progress to share tonight!

First, my welder once again fixed up everything of mine in record time, and even managed to make a rough yet sturdy rear frame all by the time I got to his shop at 8:30 this morning. I ran by Home Depot immediately after to replace a few nuts and bolts on the fork, then I reassembled everything. I did things a little differently though, pushing the front wheel and fork braces forward one bolt hole each on the little red fork extensions, and adding the handlebars from the fat tire donor bike, which have a slightly narrower "V" shape and grips that are angled further back. Got to say, the change to the fork is subtle, but I feel like it vastly improves the look! Still not sure about the handlebars though...
BFtD_Poison_Apple27.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple28.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple29.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple30.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple31.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple32.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple33.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple34.jpg

As structurally sound as the rear frame is, it's just to be used for holding the trike together until I can get the final version of the rear frame built. I tried figuring out the seating arrangement, but with that top bar and the wide support rod that props up underneath the seat clamp, I couldn't really figure out the best riding position. While I could tell that pedaling would be easy enough from the rear axle, I found that I could not sit forward enough to reach the handlebars, not with the bar where it was. I'm also sure that the rear axle and wheels are not properly aligned with the bike frame, but I can finesse that later.
BFtD_Poison_Apple35.jpg

I still need to figure out the seat and the rest of the rear portion of Poison Apple. After my family's garage sale ended nearly two weeks ago, dad was gathering up leftovers to donate to wherever. Well, one of the pieces I didn't even know about until he was loading it into his truck was this folding table frame. I quickly saw that it's the perfect width for a bench seat or seat back for the trike, so I'm holding onto it in case I can use it.
BFtD_Poison_Apple36.jpg

Another seat/rear frame idea came from stumbling across pictures of this 1970s AMF trike. I liked how the seat flows from the top of the tank in one piece, and I had an idea of how I could securely brace the trike axle against the bike frame while looking aesthetically pleasing.
5swqIgOTqr3PJkL2Lit-wA.jpg

I grabbed one of my banana seats and set it on top of the seat stays, and I think I struck gold! It's an incomplete picture of a bigger idea, but I like where it's going. I'll need to find some time to sketch up a few new concepts for the seat and general rear view of this trike.
BFtD_Poison_Apple37.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple38.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple39.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple40.jpg
BFtD_Poison_Apple41.jpg

More updates to come, the next one hopefully as soon as tomorrow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back