DID YOU BUILD RC Cars, Planes, Boats?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you build and drive/fly...

• RC Cars

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • RC Boats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RC Planes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • RC Helicopters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just curious how many of you were or are into RC hobbies as well as bikes.

I built and raced several buggies when I was a teen back in the early 80s including a Tamiya Frog and an RC10.

That was some fun/frustrating stuff! :D

I still have my RC10 (in pieces) its got the orange anodized aluminum frame...

Slot cars for me too...very heavy into them.....

But, to stay on topic, my brother built many RC cars.
Very expensive ones. I was amazed to see a little
car doing almost silent fishtail burnouts... .ha ha ha
He let me drive one once and we mutually agreed that
would be the last time because the car got waaaaay too
close to the curb before I figured out the reverse
steering stuff when its coming at you !!
:shock:

This is where the frustration came in....when you crashed and burned and broke something...ha ha!

This is one of those hobbies where you're better off not picking up a copy of RC Action while at Wal-Mart.....you get sucked back in the spiraling RC vortex of financial death. :lol:

Big Daddy

I have several rc's... Two of the original Tamiya Blackfoot trucks , modifyed of course, and two rc planes.. My J-3 Cub and my most recent is a Typhoon 3-D both made by Parkzone...Haven't had a chance to try the Typhoon just yet seems to be I am a bit buisy building The Rat... I also build 1/24 scale model cars ( none strait out of the box as you could imagine ) I seem to have this thing about modifying everything...Hmmm 8)

RC cars and AFX slot cars for me too.

I had the Tamiya Frog, and proir to to that, a Gator. The RC10 was the holy grail of dune buggys as far as my friends and I were concerned.

Back then, gas powered cars were the un-obtainable dream for a bunch of high school kids. All-in-one packages like the Traxxis were unheard off then.

The Frog has been re-released:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.p ... t-id=58354

-Mp

Yes...you are correct MP....and the Frog seems to be selling like hotcakes again! I'm wanting to save up for one soon.

tamiya_58354_002.jpg

header_1.jpg

Here’s a 1/10 scale Tamiya Porsche 911 kit I built.
It’s pretty much stock except for the Spectrum receivers and remote.
01b7dba24982299def70e47634a46e9a.jpg

Painted it pink and added some carbon fiber vinyl.
8acc01bde720f94ba8a60c5f41441cd3.jpg

I also chopped up a C10 long bed body to a short bed so it fits on this kit.
7934f1205af2c31a2b7447053672461b.jpg

b48502243f4bb62c43338d4fb604141e.jpg

9f5991eb1a94cfbfb12f78bd6e9c596f.jpg

I also have a Traxxas Revo 3.3 up in storage, that thing is quick!

This is a DJI Mavic drone clone.
I love this thing, I beat up on it and it keeps on flying and it was only about $60US.
3fc8bc33c44fe46685b0c72711df5507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the day I had a few RC race cars including an HPI Dash (yeah I'm that old) I still mess with RC crawlers though and have recently gotten back into it heavy. So far I have 4 and waiting on the 5th one to come in from China. Have a WPL C14, WPL C24 (on order), WPL C34, WPL B24, and an MN-45. 
IMG_20200805_234032895.jpg
IMG_20200805_232400846.jpg
IMG_20200803_221558785.jpg
IMG_20200803_221238629.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 1/10 Tamiya Fox with a Reedy Pink Dot or something like that and an assortment of bodies. Would do about 40 mph, but eat batteries (lousy NiCads!). I used to race it at a track at a hobby shop. That thing didn't handle at all, but it held its own in a straight line well enough that I could occasionally beat some adults who had actual money in their cars in spite of little driving skill on my part.

Ah yes, my money pits. My fleet consists of Aquacraft Gunslinger and a Bristol Trawler for water fun. For land there is a 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo and 1/10 Rally; Axial 1/10 Yeti and 1/10 SCX10 Deadbolt. The boats are largely stock and the cars & trucks modified to the nth. For anyone getting into the hobby just beware that brushless setups plus Lipo batteries makes for lots and lots of broken parts and lots and lots of replacement parts buying.

This is a DJI Mavic drone clone.
I love this thing, I beat up on it and it keeps on flying and it was only about $60US.
3fc8bc33c44fe46685b0c72711df5507.jpg

I'm looking for a "economical" drone. Can you give me the details on that one?

I'm looking for a "economical" drone. Can you give me the details on that one?

The model is 8807, it doesn’t really have any other name than that or the mavic drone clone.
It is honestly a great learning drone, it can go into headless mode and great for learning figure 8’s.
It can ascend, descend and return to home if it goes too far.

Here it is on Amazon, I bought it from another retailer online tho for around the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/sea-jump-Foldable-Altitude-Quadcopter/dp/B075436ZF4

I watched some guys using r/c rock crawlers at a local park recently. IF I were to get into r/c, I think that would be what I'd try. Looked fun. The up-close slow action and realistic movements seemed more enjoyable than lightning speed.

Last edited:
The model is 8807, it doesn’t really have any other name than that or the mavic drone clone.
It is honestly a great learning drone, it can go into headless mode and great for learning figure 8’s.
It can ascend, descend and return to home if it goes too far.

Here it is on Amazon, I bought it from another retailer online tho for around the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/sea-jump-Foldable-Altitude-Quadcopter/dp/B075436ZF4

Awesome. Thank you sir

Latest posts

Back