Paint advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few people have mentioned Spray.bike and their paint seems to be the way to go. Only dilemma is that the Rona has clearly put a hurt on their production. Most of the good colors and most important, their primer is sold out.

Question 1. Any suggestions (aside from good ol Krylon) on other good paints?

Question 2. Can I use any primer and Spray.bike colors on top?

thanks!

5C4FBA48-5891-491D-9B7D-F8FFD873C14F.png

Thank you! I like the idea of trying the Spray Bike Keirin flaked gold but the process seems a bit advanced for me. My colors are fairly common (see below) so I may go with your suggestion. My prepped bike is starting to rust every day I wait
: (

9716C6AB-1F6B-4D86-BD82-11851B9E847C.jpeg

Check with your local autobody paint supplier, the good ones can mix up custom colors and put it into aerosol cans. For extra bonus points they can add hardener. Not the cheapest way to go but it will get some good results.

Most of my builds have been painted with good old Rustoleum from Home Depot. Occasionally, I have used Krylon, Metalacast, or other off the shelve cans of paint. But all of my paint has come from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, AutoZone, or AdvanceAuto. :D

Check with your local autobody paint supplier, the good ones can mix up custom colors and put it into aerosol cans. For extra bonus points they can add hardener. Not the cheapest way to go but it will get some good results.

Came here to post this. Great option

I use Montana cans. It cures fast, has primer & matte/glossy clears. They have specialty paints like crackle, glow-in-the dark, and I just found out they have a holographic flake now as well. Also, they have every color imaginable. I spent 3 years looking for a green to match these grips. Found it the first day I was put on to Montana cans. You can get them at art supply stores and some tattoo shops.

Screenshot_20200103-100034_One UI Home.jpg

https://www.montana-cans.com/en/

Last edited:
I use Montana cans. It cures fast, has primer & matte/glossy clears. They have specialty paints like crackle, glow-in-the dark, and I just found out they have a holographic flake now as well. Also, they have every color imaginable. I spent 3 years looking for a green to match these grips. Found it the first day I was put on to Montana cans. You can get them at art supply stores and some tattoo shops.

View attachment 129204

Didn't even think about them. Great paint! Graffiti artist delight

View attachment 129204

Thanks! Going to check them out now. Would love to get my paint on ASAP.

Anyone have any suggestions on painting outside? I’ve heard that humid days are a bad idea. Unfortunately we’re hitting humid season here in MA. I don’t have the luxury of a spray booth. Planning to just wrap my bike stand in paper, use a couple drop cloths, a respirator (doubles as protection from the Rona) and gloves.

Outdoor painting is the best. You get natural light, which is what your bike will inhabit in it's life anyway. Shaded area, and yes, it's nice to have low humidity, but I've painted in our humid June and July before; the dry times are longer for sure.

As far as technique goes, lay it on light in coats, and I never get closer than about 2 ft away from my projects. Very little drops, drips, or slags that way.

If you don't have a bare frame to start with (like, stripped completely bare) I use a Primer under even if the can says 'one step' or 2X Primer and Top coat.

Painting is one of my most fun parts of a bike build!

Outdoor painting is the best. You get natural light, which is what your bike will inhabit in it's life anyway. Shaded area, and yes, it's nice to have low humidity, but I've painted in our humid June and July before; the dry times are longer for sure.

As far as technique goes, lay it on light in coats, and I never get closer than about 2 ft away from my projects. Very little drops, drips, or slags that way.

If you don't have a bare frame to start with (like, stripped completely bare) I use a Primer under even if the can says 'one step' or 2X Primer and Top coat.

Painting is one of my most fun parts of a bike build!

Boom ^

Get yourself a shaded area, block any wind, light coats, patience. It's over 100 every day for us by 10am so around these parts heat and humidity are par for the course

I use an ez up and tarp off three sides. Then I put a box fan inside to circulate air, but not blowing towards the painting surface. I also use my heat gun or a hair dryer on the primer. I use etching primer on everything to insure a good bond. Light coats and then straight inside out of the humidity and after it loses its tack I put the same box fan directly on it to help dry

Works
Picked up one of these a few years back to be used once a year at our church festivals . I knew I saved it for some reason , great idea .

Works like a charm. Tons of ready made spots to hang

IMG_20200614_104216078~2.jpg

Boom ^

Get yourself a shaded area, block any wind, light coats, patience. It's over 100 every day for us by 10am so around these parts heat and humidity are par for the course

I use an ez up and tarp off three sides. Then I put a box fan inside to circulate air, but not blowing towards the painting surface. I also use my heat gun or a hair dryer on the primer. I use etching primer on everything to insure a good bond. Light coats and then straight inside out of the humidity and after it loses its tack I put the same box fan directly on it to help dry
I actually have a 10 X 10 eazy up. Was thinking of using it to paint inside with two sides blocked off (not completely so I die from the fumes), but you're suggesting to paint outside and then just transfer in to shade, dry and block particles? Makes sense.

Do you paint underneath and then add the sides to block flying .... that might stick to your paint?

I had already taken down the sides for pictures to let light in. I paint with the walls up

I have done this on several bikes. I have not got hardener in the paint but the clear coat had hardener and was in an aerosol can. However when I go this route I plan on spending at least $100. Not cheap but the paint lasts. Disappointing to do all the work to have chipped up paint from assembly.

Latest posts

Back