Build of class question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my ratracer build, I am using as much old stuff I have laying around as possible.
Now I found a frame of a bike trailer from 2018 which I can hook behind my bicycle. I assembled it fairly quick.
I am considering to "ratify" this trailer and put it behind my build off bicycle.

Is it allowed to use this one wheel trailer with my build?
It is totally fine with me if you guys think that is not acceptable. I will build it anyway, just not use it in the "finished" pictures for voting.

Picture how the trailer started yesterday:
kXqf9f7.jpg

And the possibilities:
Fcmtbck.jpg

Thank you for advice in advance!

Last edited:
Traditionally the rules have been pretty loose. I don't recall any real arguments over class in the past, but I'm usually busy with a build and not paying attention, so what do I know.

The way I see it, anything you bolt, screw or attach with some sort of fastener would be fair game in Class 1, and even though it says factory frame and fork I'd say around half end up with an aftermarket fork or one off another bike in Class 1. Class 2 is really for people who do things like start with a pile of metal and use benders and welders and such to truly fabricate a bike from scratch. I think people would even tolerate a little welding in Class 1, like a bracket for a tank or rack or something.

Traditionally the rules have been pretty loose. I don't recall any real arguments over class in the past, but I'm usually busy with a build and not paying attention, so what do I know.

The way I see it, anything you bolt, screw or attach with some sort of fastener would be fair game in Class 1, and even though it says factory frame and fork I'd say around half end up with an aftermarket fork or one off another bike in Class 1. Class 2 is really for people who do things like start with a pile of metal and use benders and welders and such to truly fabricate a bike from scratch. I think people would even tolerate a little welding in Class 1, like a bracket for a tank or rack or something.
Agreed

As long as you don't go against class 1 rules, you can build and add whatever you want.
I say run with it.
And if you know where I can get two of those fenders let me know.
You can have mine if you want :rockout: I had it for sale for 15 euros for more than a year, I tried to find a use for it. I have enough fenders lying around for my trailer.

Thinking about it, in 2018, I milled and welded the T-frame all the way to the front. I didn't know at that time I would be participating this years build off offcourse :D

I will think about it. Maybe even send the fender to mr Falstaff :rockout: and not participate with it in this build off. Just for some sweet rides and pictures.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Thinking about it, in 2018, I milled and welded the T-frame all the way to the front. I didn't know at that time I would be participating this years build off offcourse :D

I will think about it. Maybe even send the fender to mr Falstaff :rockout: and not participate with it in this build off. Just for some sweet rides and pictures.

Thanks for the advice so far!
I appreciate the offer.
Either way it turns out, I'm looking forward to what you do with the trailer.

Didn't @Brian macumber do a full custom trailer in last year's BO? Pappas Taxi? What class was that one?
Thanks for the hint, I found it. It was a class 2.

I have decided the following: I will not take the trailer with me to the voting booth. Just the ratracer.
I will post a picture now and then in de BO thread for entertainment purposes if thats ok :thumbsup:

Fab up the trailer real good and make it your class 2 entry. Then pull it with your class 1 ;)
Considering that my Ratracer class 1 will be done in July/August, I'm now seriously considering this.... not that it will be competitive, but for fun purposes.

... not that it will be competitive, but for fun purposes.
While I’m in awe of the quality of the top ranked bikes I’m sure the majority of builders are building for fun and just enjoying any extra kudos from others.

Pretty sure most of my friends and family don’t get it, but the rat rod bikes clan are a great place to share the journeys.

While I’m in awe of the quality of the top ranked bikes I’m sure the majority of builders are building for fun and just enjoying any extra kudos from others.

Pretty sure most of my friends and family don’t get it, but the rat rod bikes clan are a great place to share the journeys.
Thanks HuffnPuff!

I agree, this community is very open minded I have discovered so far. And love all the builds in its own way, really like to see how everyone with different technical skill try and make something real nice. Even if someone would beef up their bike with cardboard (CADboard :grin:) I would love to see how they have done it.

It is also one of the reasons to post my builds here: Many of my friends love high-end race and mountainbikes, lightweight, expensive parts, carbon bolts, which is perfectly ok for me, I like that too! But the conversations were always about how light and expensive/good parts were. Then I tried out klunking and discovered a new way of fun with a coaster brake and 24inch wheels. When riding singletracks, I can still keep up with the pack with my cheap klunker! Hills a bit less, but that is not a problem.
Now they ride electric mountainbikes which go faster than 25km/hr (16mph) so thats not fair :rofl:

BET, I hope you keep building on that trailer and show us along the way! @HuffnPuff , you are so right, this is a great clan to join in on the journey !
Good idea, I can use some good ideas considering the paint etcetera, capturing the patina like on the fender is a daunting task! Thanks OJ

Oh wait, I was just reading some of the old build off topics and saw video's of people cycling their build off's...

I can't cycle this trailer :wondering: But I can hook it behind my bicycle and tow it :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back