In regards to the Class 1 rules...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the frame and forks have to match? I've got a postwar Montgomery Ward/Hawthorne frame, but I got it without forks. I have some forks that match in paint/patina fairly close, but I have no idea what bike they're off of. So, as long as I'm not modifying the frame and forks, is that allowed? This would be my first ever Build Off, but I just want to be sure I'm not breaking any rules or entering the wrong class.
DSC_92082.jpg

You can use any fork you want. Welcome to the fun!!

20200501_115523.jpg

Do the frame and forks have to match? I've got a postwar Montgomery Ward/Hawthorne frame, but I got it without forks. I have some forks that match in paint/patina fairly close, but I have no idea what bike they're off of. So, as long as I'm not modifying the frame and forks, is that allowed? This would be my first ever Build Off, but I just want to be sure I'm not breaking any rules or entering the wrong class.View attachment 119653
Eyup! I started with only a frame :wink1:

Those forks are a close match to what probably came with that Hawthorne.
This is a 42 also a Snyder. The CWC trussrods were added.

View attachment 119883
Yeah, they aren't exactly the same as the forks on your bike, but I figured that they wouldn't look too out of place, all things considered. I do have some forks identical to yours, but none of them had the right fit or finish I was aiming for.

To appreciate the artistic eye! That's one of the coolest aspects of the build-off. Taking all your favorite parts from different bikes you like and throw them all into one beautiful rolling "pile". :21:
Haha! That's pretty much what's going to happen with my bike! I've got a bunch of parts from all different kinds of bikes, but for this build, it's all about what fits and looks good. Like one of my favorite custom car builders once said, "I'm not concerned with the year, make, manufacturer... I'm just looking for an aesthetic."

Haha! That's pretty much what's going to happen with my bike! I've got a bunch of parts from all different kinds of bikes, but for this build, it's all about what fits and looks good. Like one of my favorite custom car builders once said, "I'm not concerned with the year, make, manufacturer... I'm just looking for an aesthetic."
Exactly! So many original bikes have beautifully designed frames, only to be truly ugly as complete bikes as originally equipped.

Latest posts

Back