Year of the Rat ?! RRB Build Off #15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to the diversion. I wish I had the stuff to make a build work, but alas, I lack both physical and metaphorical pieces.

I'm looking ahead with positive vibes; all the way around. I like your expressed attitude, MF....
"Ready to play bike builder though, grass is green, plant collection outside, landscape is looking good, been on a few solo rides, parts stash is adequate...ready. "

We are a bit behind in the weather / Spring game here in the northland, but I have been gathering parts and ideas for months now. It's time to....as our friend @Jake Sensi would say ...."Get to Buildin!"

My local shop / seasonal employer has been exploding faster than the virus these past 2-3 weeks. We had a 'Top 5 All-time' sales day on Wed of this week. My body is still trying to get used to those very physical days and standing on my feet for 7 -8 hrs. But the discount on parts and camaraderie with our 6 man staff makes it all worthwhile!

The BACK40 is all set for action!

94432439_3025996384123287_8420481497764462592_n.jpg

I'm looking forward to the diversion. I wish I had the stuff to make a build work, but alas, I lack both physical and metaphorical pieces.
I have some stuff I'd be willing to part with Matti. For very low cost and shipping. Keep me posted as we go, and I'll keep tabs on my stash for any 'goodies' you may be able to use.

Lol thanks for the offer. This place is full of great people! However, some pieces I'm missing are harder to find. Motivation, for example, and spare time. I still haven't finished prepping my frame for paint for the March mini build off!:giggle:
I need a few bike pieces too, but that's another story!

- bottom pull STX front derailleur
- compatible front and rear shifters and canti brake levers
- similar level 3x crank
- seals and wipers for Specialized FutureShock, (Spesh's version of Rockshok Mag21), or
-Bomber Z2 or Marzocchi equivalent replacement.
-a new wheelset would be nice

*Hey, how did the RockRat get to post its wish list? Who gave my password to my bike? Oh snap, I hope he didn't get my credit card!

I’m excited about this build off. I entered RRBBO8 (I think it was) and built my JC Higgins “Flying V” boardtrack tribute bike.

Attachments

• 3E45C327-8D5D-47A5-AA1D-388FDA46273F.jpeg
    3E45C327-8D5D-47A5-AA1D-388FDA46273F.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 130
  • 8207E46C-BAB6-495B-92A5-C0CE4912797A.jpeg
    8207E46C-BAB6-495B-92A5-C0CE4912797A.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 124
I'm hitting Little Neutrino with some protons and blowing it apart.
The stays were mangled in the years before I found this '36 Hawthorne built by CWC. So the whole rear quarter will probably go. As good as the coating of minwax walnut looks on her, that will likely change and the layered plexiglass tank will get some upgrades too. I wish I had a tubing roller but since I don't I'll be building a wooden buck to bend some tubing for the rear so I'm in the unlimited class with this one. This was built for BONINE and it didn't finish anywhere near the top. (a 14 way tie for 44th with 3 votes :blackeye:) It is however, the first bike that gained me any notoriety, winning a Best of Show trophy sponsored by the Chicago Taildraggers and Heritage Bikes in 2015 and a Promoter's Pick tag at the Jalopy Fest car show in 2018. Neutron Bomb is my working title...
KIMG00021.JPG

Carl.

Last edited:
I'm hitting Little Neutrino with some protons and blowing it apart.
The stays were mangled in the years before I found this '36 Hawthorne built by CWC. So the whole rear quarter will probably go. As good as the coating of minwax walnut looks on her, that will likely change and the layered plexiglass tank will get some upgrades too. I wish I had a tubing roller but since I don't I'll be building a wooden buck to bend some tubing for the rear so I'm in the unlimited class with this one. This was built for BONINE and it didn't finish anywhere near the top. (a 14 way tie for 44th with 3 votes :blackeye:) It is however, the first bike that gained me any notoriety, winning a Best of Show trophy sponsored by the Chicago Taildraggers and Heritage Bikes in 2015 and a Promoter's Pick tag at the Jalopy Fest car show in 2018. Neutron Bomb is my working title...
View attachment 117627

Carl.

Some nice parts there. What’s in the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some nice parts there. What’s in the tank?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. It's still skiptooth. The tank is layers of plexi divided by knurled brass, Vacuum tubes and bits of copper. It's pretty wild in person but I've never really gotten a "good" picture of it.

0609141503a.jpg
0609141501a.jpg
KIMG00111.JPG

Carl.

Thanks. It's still skiptooth. The tank is layers of plexi divided by knurled brass, Vacuum tubes and bits of copper. It's pretty wild in person but I've never really gotten a "good" picture of it.

View attachment 117681View attachment 117682View attachment 117683

Carl.
I was studying Little Nutrino'ts tank last year as a possible way to decorate last summer's build off Spaceliner. The holes in the layers of plexiglass made me think of the floating rings around the antenna on Elroy's hat and a lot of other places in the Jetsons. Was thinking a couple plexiglass rings on the handlebars at the grips and 2 or 3 on the neck. Maybe on the seat post and tail lights too. Paint the edges of the plexiglass black and it would look like floating rings.
Then my train of thought was sidetracked by the purchase of other bikes and it was hard to just focus on the Spaceliner and get it done.
461d8181c84752c056440f533a5a8063.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Awake at 2:00AM...2 to go???

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back