UnFair Lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm open to suggestions on a cheap shifter @CRASH .:happy:
For instance... you buy in bulk from China:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Mount...746903?hash=item4d7d6c8997:g:fywAAOSwDJNbpZj1

Spitball idea: Fashion a metal stick where the grip would be. So that shifter would be perpendicular to the bike frame. Cut the back and have the cable come straight out the back. Mount the mechanism inside the tank. Metal stick would stick up through some sort of "pretty" console. Wood grain was very popular in the '60's.

The question: Since it's a twist grip, would the stick need too much movement to be viable? I don't know. I'm thinking as I type.

I used a grip shift inside a tank on Quoise last year. There are too many problems like 'too much movement' that you just mentioned and modifying the direction of the cable. I made it work and loved the end result, but it was far too much work to be practical.

Start at post #189 HERE to see what I went through to make it work.

Ok... you're really making me work at this. You know I have 5 builds of my own, right? :D

How about this... new Suntour stem mounted shifter. Everyone hates these, (By everyone, I mean me) so they're cheap and plentiful. Make a stump inside that you can mount the shifter too. Fabricate new arms, or easier: Fashion a longer arm to the existing ones. Stick those up through a good looking console cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRace-SL...ucAAOSwTuJYnnjj:sc:USPSFirstClass!93291!US!-1

P.S. Please stop using the name "Quoise". I have no idea how it's supposed to be pronounced, so I keep saying "Q-moist" in my head.

I believe it's pronounced 'Kwah', according to my highschool French.
Madame Super gave me a pass on the condition that I take Spanish with Seniora Heywood the next year... Por Que?

Last edited:
And I quote:
quoise
/ˌk(w)oiz/

noun: quoise
1. a greenish-blue color.
"the Spaceliner frame has a nice shade of 'quoise' paint"

2. informal
a custom bicycle built by TRM featuring a TRM Convertible Tank

adjective: quoise

1. the feeling that someone has while he's doing something artistic
"a rush of quoise came over Jim as soon as he entered his shop"

index.php

I believe it's pronounced 'Kwah', according to my highschool French.
Madame Super gave me a pass on the condition that I take Spanish with Seniora Heywood the next year... Por Que?
Senora or Senorita Heywood? De nada.

Like that you're doing a TRM tank for 20 inch bikes but kind of wish you were doing it more like the full sized version but with a nose like a '69 Charger or Superbird or something like that.

Question: Are there two sizes of girls frames like the boys Stingrays?

Yes....and there are actually 3 sizes of the boys and girls frames.

1964 = short frame boys and girls that later became the 'Lil Chick and Junior Sting Ray.

1965-1968 Sting Ray was a longer frame as were the Slick Chick and Fairlady....not sure when the 'Lil Chick and Junior Sting Ray started and am too lazy to look it up at the moment...:p

1968 Coaster brake and 3 speed Sting Rays were the older '65-'68 frame and the 5 speed Stingrays and Krates were the new long frame. Not sure which frame the '68 girls bikes were based on but would assume the '65-'68.

1969 up all had the "long frame" so to answer your question.

Fairlady and slick chick were both the same size as the full sized boys frames. Difference being the Slick Chick has an S2 rear rim with a slick and the Fair Lady has S7 rims front and back.

Lil' chicks are the smaller Junior sized frame.

Stardust is the girls version of the Fastback with lightweight size tires.

Like that you're doing a TRM tank for 20 inch bikes but kind of wish you were doing it more like the full sized version but with a nose like a '69 Charger or Superbird or something like that.
That does sound cool, but I felt like it was imperative that the tank would not interfere with using a Schwinn style springer fork. The 26" TRM tank tought me that limiting fork options takes away some of the universal applications.

Haven't been working on this much, but I did trim it down a little closer to the correct profile.
100_7269.JPG

Still looks a little Flintstonesque but not as much as before.:21:
100_7270.JPG

This will start getting much trickier at this point. It would be easy to just jump in and start shaping it if I didn't have to concern myself with making a mirror image on each side. I will be moving slowly and working both sides as I go from here forward.

Have you thought about making it sort of Gas Tankish similar to the 78 Schwinn Hornet MX that I flipped this year.

1978-super-one-year-schwinn-hornet_1_d31d48fd56c33f14c58af1fa9a2c024d.jpg

Latest posts

Back