BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kick stand was too short and the lucky 7 needed to be bent to make it rear facing.

Here's the only before picture that I have of both pieces.
100_6589.JPG

I didn't get any action pictures but the kickstand was heated with a torch, straightened out and then re-bent further toward the bottom to effectively make it longer.
IMG_1300.JPG

The Lucky Seven was also heated with a torch and opened up to make it more of a Lucky Boomerang.:21:
IMG_1301.JPG

I have one of those kickstands on El Chiggins. I'd never seen one before. It came from the Elgin half of my bike. Definitely beefy, I love it. Unbending the 7 is a good idea too, I like it. About a week to go bro...

Carl.

Was out of town all day yesterday to celebrate my son's 21st birthday but marked another item off of my list today after church.

Got the wheels laced a few days ago and finished them up today. I trued them both on the bike itself. I don't have a truing stand but it made more sense to do it on the bike anyway. By using the frame and fork, I was able to make certain that the wheels are as centered on the bike as possible.
IMG_1302.JPG

On the rear I measured from each side of the BB to the axel to make sure the axel was parallel with the BB before I started truing.
IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

I think the shiny new paint and stainless spokes are really going make a nice contrast to the original and primer paint on the bike!
IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

Got one week left and there's still a lot to do. Hoping to get a lot done tomorrow!
IMG_1305.JPG

Thanks Carl, I really like the way they turned out. Pretty sure they were never sold in a painted version but black with red pin stripes really highlights the fins!

I've considered running a red pin stripe along the edge of the rims also just to tie the rims and hubs together. The old painted hoops typically did have factory pin stripes.:39:

I need to decide very soon though!

Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped, but I did get the mounting pins in place for the Light switch pod.

I made a couple of short studs from some spokes and spent a while getting everything in the right place to hold it on the tank. First I had to biuld up a boss on each end of the pod out of fiberglass and then drill and thread the spokes in place making sure that they were centered. Then I transfered the location of the studs to the tank and cut slots for the spokes to rest in.

Macro Monday shots!
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

When the two tank halves are bolted together, the angle of the studs will not allow it to pull up. Simple and effective. I discovered this trick on the Decoluxe a few years back.
IMG_1312.JPG

The first of the final assembly has begun. Not much to see but it's good to be moving toward a finished bike finally!

Got the crank & chain ring together, packed the bearings with grease and got it spinning on the frame.
IMG_1316.JPG

Cool idea for the holding pins. Gonna be fun seeing this go back together.
Love the hubs!!!! Rim pinstripe would be cool.

Pinstriped the fenders today. Sticking with the black and red theme from the old paint job from years ago on the frame.
IMG_1325.JPG

Spent better than an hour bolting up the rear fender and skirts. Those little 'Chicago' bolts are so tiny, it was very hard to get them lined up and threaded together. The slotted head did'nt help matters either. But thankfully I did'nt drop and loose any. It took nine of them and I only had nine!
This is one bolt and barrel sitting on a dime!
IMG_1331.JPG

Here's a comparison showing how little space they take once they're in place. The bolt at the bottom is a little 6-32!
IMG_1328.JPG

And here's how they look on the outside.
IMG_1332.JPG

Last edited:
Did you use your Buegler for the stripes? I still have never played around with mine yet. Great looking stripes!!!

Latest posts

Back