Rust in Space

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More woodworking tonight. Looking a lot more sporty. Or Spacey? Also need to decide on how to finish it. Originally I planned to stain it with a faded gray, or silver-gray stain. But now I think it needs to be blue to match the rims. Haven't seen any Cobalt blue stain, so it will probably be painted. Maybe some rat-tina and see if wood tanks can rust as much as fiberglass TRM tanks do. [emoji16]

Planning to fill the opening in the rear rack where the original tail light went with wood finished to match the tank.
701949ea732c7c4670edd52e73bbb7b2.jpg
7b5cf0674ba660e38ac64fa5b135561e.jpg
8a0aff3473cd0095160691182c91ee1d.jpg
833f0e45c2a1a7896e22e7135c48d309.jpg
cffd6bf97a3c68fe59f7285c93b4751e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

More woodworking tonight. Looking a lot more sporty. Or Spacey? Also need to decide on how to finish it. Originally I planned to stain it with a faded gray, or silver-gray stain. But now I think it needs to be blue to match the rims. Haven't seen any Cobalt blue stain, so it will probably be painted. Maybe some rat-tina and see if wood tanks can rust as much as fiberglass TRM tanks do. [emoji16]

Planning to fill the opening in the rear rack where the original tail light went with wood finished to match the tank.
701949ea732c7c4670edd52e73bbb7b2.jpg
7b5cf0674ba660e38ac64fa5b135561e.jpg
8a0aff3473cd0095160691182c91ee1d.jpg
833f0e45c2a1a7896e22e7135c48d309.jpg
cffd6bf97a3c68fe59f7285c93b4751e.jpg

Every time i see a pic like the bottom one looks like a side car.

That's no sidecar. That's my "rat rod" Black and Decker Workmate. [emoji16]
Even missing 2 legs and it's top it still comes in handy!

@handyandy1100 , I am enjoying your participation in the build off this year immensely ! Your sense of humor, one-liners, and design sense resonate well with me. :grin:

I love me some wood on a custom rat rod! I'd save the blue colors for rims, seat, grips, do-dads. Your tank work is so nice, it would be a shame if we couldn't tell it was wood , i.e. cover it with paint. And your frame isn't that rusty, so a rust-ification job on the tank might not be appropriate either.

What about an 'aged wood' look? I have used a couple different methods in the past. Here is a Youtube link to my Beer Boy Delivery build, where I used a paint method for my front rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PI6lropyQ1c

And a before and after shot of the front beer rack...

IMG_20150511_130529.jpg
IMG_20150530_141925.jpg

The other method I used, was just a Weathered Oak stain on my Shelby Woody build. Depending on how heavy you go with the stain, it could be grayer. I went light on it, for a lightly aged, but well preserved look.

First photo is 'before and after' of Weathered Oak stain. And others on here encouraged me to 'cap' my rear rack with the wood as well. Glad I did.

IMG_20150902_080002.jpg
IMG_20150907_161144.jpg
winner shot.jpg

RaT oN~!

@handyandy1100 , I am enjoying your participation in the build off this year immensely ! Your sense of humor, one-liners, and design sense resonate well with me. :grin:

I love me some wood on a custom rat rod! I'd save the blue colors for rims, seat, grips, do-dads. Your tank work is so nice, it would be a shame if we couldn't tell it was wood , i.e. cover it with paint. And your frame isn't that rusty, so a rust-ification job on the tank might not be appropriate either.

What about an 'aged wood' look? I have used a couple different methods in the past. Here is a Youtube link to my Beer Boy Delivery build, where I used a paint method for my front rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PI6lropyQ1c

And a before and after shot of the front beer rack...

View attachment 96258 View attachment 96259

The other method I used, was just a Weathered Oak stain on my Shelby Woody build. Depending on how heavy you go with the stain, it could be grayer. I went light on it, for a lightly aged, but well preserved look.

First photo is 'before and after' of Weathered Oak stain. And others on here encouraged me to 'cap' my rear rack with the wood as well. Glad I did.

View attachment 96260 View attachment 96261 View attachment 96262

RaT oN~!
Thanks OJ, I appreciate that!
I'm with you, the wood needs to be stained, not painted. I'm thinking something in the silver-gray to medium gray color range would go well with the chrome and blue. Maybe a little surface distress to age it?

Thanks OJ, I appreciate that!
I'm with you, the wood needs to be stained, not painted. I'm thinking something in the silver-gray to medium gray color range would go well with the chrome and blue. Maybe a little surface distress to age it?

The semi-solid stains will come with more 'paint' look. You can sand the stain before it completely dries, like I did with my spray paints on the beer rack. That would add some distress to the surface. I'm sure you could get a stain sample from a Cabot (or similar) dealer in a small can. Here's a link to the Cabot semi-solids.

https://www.cabotstain.com/colors-a...3nN1cs-WYGsJaty_OPELidVtMm2bdykBoCkSoQAvD_BwE

Looking forward to your creation!

Word of caution , all your open end grain on your tank will load up with stain more than the smooth sanded/factory finished sides.

My motto is, "Little bit at a time, and stop before you think you are finished." Keeps me from 'over doing it'!

I like it, could you increase the radius (make it less rounded) to match the curve of your twin frame top tubes? That would be slick!

Use the underside of the steer tube fender mount hole to affix a bracket to clamp your fork braces. If no mounting hole, use a rubber stopper that fits tightly (so you have to screw/pound it in) and the drive a screw into that. I've used that method successfully a couple of times.

Got the tank stained today. It didn't turn out like I wanted. The stain looked more like thin gray paint (Varithane weathered gray) than stain. A lot darker than the sample in the store. I tried sanding it to see if that would lighten it, but the color was just on the surface, again, just like paint. This was not the stain I was looking for. [emoji6]

So I began to experiment. I shot some blue spray paint on it and sanded then shot some flat black and sanded and then wiped more gray all over it. Then move sanding and then some 0000 steel wool. I don't know. I guess I was trying for a worn and faded paint look.

Still need to finish removing the paint from the fork and clear coat it. Little freckles of rust are coming out on the frame, I will clear coat it when a bit of rust comes back.
c4f2265c2976beb66b67a1abebaabaa5.jpg
b3471c285dc568921e9d02402077eaf4.jpg
94e8296ce75cd21589b16015a52a94ec.jpg

Good build, if you wanna get a little more rust out of the corners, shove some rags in there soaked with vinegar, keep the rags damp it to keep it working.
For clear, i like laquer. Its more forgiving than others as dar as lifting or interactions, and if you dont like it, strips easily or thinner removes it easily. Easy to touch up as well.

Really like these frames, I have a start on a flightliner build. If i can get my to-do list knocked down, I'll jump in the build with ya.

Handy, I think you achieved the 'worn' look very well on your tank.
And you got the blue hue in there without hiding the wood. :thumbsup:

I vote yah on the curved truss rods. You should be able to add a bracket at top of fork to secure ends.
Is the tank to stay stationary with the frame or turn with the stem/fork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote yah on the curved truss rods. You should be able to add a bracket at top of fork to secure ends.
Is the tank to stay stationary with the frame or turn with the stem/fork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tank is attached to the frame, so the lights don't turn with the front wheel. Like the old tank lights of the '60's.

Latest posts

Back