Made in the Shade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realized that the "RR" on the old license plate could stand for "Rat Rod"! (or "Really Rusty") Now, I wonder what the "10" could stand for???
DSCN0718.JPG

I do have both of those license plates, so I was trying to think of something to do with the other plate. Here is what I came up with:
DSCN0746.JPG
DSCN0745.JPG

Not sure if I like this or not. Too much "BMX front number plate" looking???

I usually finish my builds in a few hours or a few days. I get bored very easily. I cannot believe that we are 16 days into this build-off and I am not finished yet. It has been difficult getting the right parts quickly for this build. So, I have been building little projects during this build when I can't think of any more ideas for windowshade.
DSCN0754.JPG

'55 Spitfire that I made into a pig bike. $40 Memory Lane find. Original paint. Big old S2 rims and tires. 26" fork. Built last weekend. Fun ride!
DSCN0751.JPG

Found this locally yesterday. 1950 24" S2 Schwinn DX. Built in 2 hours. Krate springer. Apes. The coolest old pie crust sidewall front tire. Sweet ride!

Last edited:
I have been noticing all of the cool and clever names that builders have come up with for their build-off projects. I am now feeling like I went with a boring name. So, here are some of the other names that I was considering (and why):

1. Made in the shade (window shade tank)
2. Long tail rat (long tail tank)
3. War scrap (pre-war junk)
4. Huffed out (cause it's a huffy-man)
5. Rustification (reviving the rust)
6. Shredder (clue to the secret)

Kudos to all of you great namers of rat rods!!!
Cheers!

I like "Made in the Shade", reflects the type of bike and the 'shade tree mechanic' influence as well.

Are the two license plates the same size? If so, you could put them back to back (on opposite sides of the frame) just below the seat behind the seat tube. That might have too much of a 'cafe racer' look, but they are cool and I see your desire to use them.

I like "Made in the Shade", reflects the type of bike and the 'shade tree mechanic' influence as well.

Are the two license plates the same size? If so, you could put them back to back (on opposite sides of the frame) just below the seat behind the seat tube. That might have too much of a 'cafe racer' look, but they are cool and I see your desire to use them.
I like the shade tree mechanic comment. I still build bikes on the floor of my garage just like I used to when I was a kid (younger kid). The two plates are the same size. I have thought of that exact idea. I actually held up a super rusty '31 Ohio plate (full sized) in that area to see if I could trim it to fit. It would work but I didn't think it looked right for the build. I have seen plates wedged in the spokes of the wheels. Bolting them to the front axle was also considered ('20s number plate-style). I even considered making them into fenders. I think that I am out of ideas for the plate(s). Not sure if I am going to use the rear one below the seat. Just takes up too much space in that area. I have to figure something out cause I like those plates for this bike.

I think that I am going to change the name. Now if I could just figure out how to make it in bold print on the title page??? I am easily stumped by computers.

I am trying to stay rational for this build. But some of my ideas are way out there. I wanted to illustrate the crazy range of ideas that I can have for bike builds. I bought my daughter this 60's junker "skyrider" from a thrift store (for $10) for her to use at college after she let her nice bike get stolen by not using her lock. I was not happy.
kara's junker bike 1.jpg
She complained that it was too short. So, I thought..............it is a skyrider and she wants it taller. This seemed logical:
psycho bike.jpg

I am 6'2", 250 pounds, to give you a scale. Yes, I can ride it and it actually rides very well.

Now let's go to the other extreme. I just discovered a type of custom built bike that I had never seen before. And now I want to build my own version of one. It's called a dragster lowrider. I am not really into lowriders, but this is cool:
60144787_1014097158981078_867411801258590208_o.jpg

I think that I am going to try to make a rat rod version of this style. Anybody else crazy enough to try it??? Build challenge, anyone???

Now let's go to the other extreme. I just discovered a type of custom built bike that I had never seen before. And now I want to build my own version of one. It's called a dragster lowrider. I am not really into lowriders, but this is cool:
60144787_1014097158981078_867411801258590208_o.jpg

I think that I am going to try to make a rat rod version of this style. Anybody else crazy enough to try it??? Build challenge, anyone???

I want one!! :13:

Latest posts

Back