Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tearing down a donor bike to start a parts pile shouldn't be against the rules, HnP. After all, you're not 'building', you are just collecting / scavenging .
Fair enough. Still, it’s les than 24hrs now (in Aus) and tearing down what miight end up being the donor frame seems to be in the spirit of ‘building’ to me.

Last edited:
Industrial chain frame?
Indian Larry would be proud.
I did a frame using chain from a heavy duty forklift a while back, thinking about doing something new. This new chain is #120, more than twice the size of my previous attempt
20190325_185907.jpg

LESS THAN ONE DAY...if you start at midnight. Who will be the first to post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me [emoji851]

I’m stuck on nights again this week. But I’m hoping a lot of people do so I have something to look at.

I’ve been trying to be patient waiting for the start. Had a look at some images As inspiration. I really need to tear down my main donor to see what’s next but know that’s against the rules!

Thinking I might be aiming a little high at this point, but I’m keen to stretch my skill set.
Tearing down a donor bike to start a parts pile shouldn't be against the rules, HnP. After all, you're not 'building', you are just collecting / scavenging .
Fair enough. Still, it’s les than 24hrs now (in Aus) and tearing down what miight end up being the donor frame seems to be in the spirit of ‘building’ to me.
No rules against gathering parts. I have two hubs, two bare rims and 72 salvaged spokes waiting for the start...

Just a reminder, everyone runs on the same time zone for the build-off, USA Central!
We don't get to start early because we live elsewhere, and we don't have to finish earlier either.

For reference if you are on the East Coast of Australia, I believe that we can start at 4pm on the 1st.

I do have a genuine concern about my build. It's not going to be rusty, or ratty. It will be based on a 1980 bike, but the plan is more custom than rat rod.
Will this still be OK?
Steve has said many times that the "RatRod" part of the name is just that, a name for the site, we welcome all bike as long as they are primarily human powered.
4pm start here, it might be me... :39:

Just a reminder, everyone runs on the same time zone for the build-off, USA Central!
We don't get to start early because we live elsewhere, and we don't have to finish earlier either.

For reference if you are on the East Coast of Australia, I believe that we can start at 4pm on the 1st.

4pm start here, it might be me... :39:
Rats! I’d forgotten the time zone rule. I have the day off tomorrow. Guess the garage is getting a proper clean before I start then!

I may be late to this thread but not late to the party . I’m in again for another year .
Took a long break from the building bikes f/b the forum and all that goes with it last years build off was finished . Felt like I had a major bike build hang over . I love building riding & talking bikes . But was burnt out and didn’t want to loose the love for bikes . Not to mention I started a new job last year . Very time consuming & a bit stress full .
Went from being self employed for 11 years to going back to work for someone BIG CHANGE .
Building custom homes is a demanding job. .
Now it’s time to blow off some steam and relieve some stress . Time to get back at it and build another cool bike .
Looking forward to another year with you all
On my 5th annual build off .

Last edited:
G, good to hear you are back! You and I got our start the same year with the annual summer build-offs. Looking forward to seeing 'what's cooking' with your build this summer! RaT oN~!

We'll have it...just a little frustrated with the FB group factor. :comando:

I've been wanting to mention the FB version of RRB and how it is the polar opposite of all the good things we have going on here.
I find it very disheartening that folks get attacked for anything from asking viable questions to trying to sell something.
I took a whole thread down because of the comments on a useful tool I had made to spread the rear dropouts to accommodate multi-geared rims in vintage frames from parts that any bike builder woulds have on hand.
I think that facebook very well may be a poison to society and an end to decency and discourse. People don't treat each other like that face to face.
I'm not knocking the moderators, as I am sure it's not very fun and very time consuming to babysit, but there is a list of rules on the FB RRB page that are not being followed by a handful. I think it could use some weeding out.

@Uncle Shish , I believe future historians will have plenty to study about this period in time that we are in concerning social media. It is taking the world into uncharted territory at an alarming speed for both good and bad!

Looks like I'll be off to a slow start. Just starting a sign commission that will be taking up most of my time for the next couple of weeks. Perfect timing. :(
Phhha I am going self employed, starting from the 1st of May!! Today's my last day working for someone else!
Question is, can I stay focused on my new work, or will I get distracted by the pile of parts in the corner of the workshop?

Yeah, I already know the answer lol

Phhha I am going self employed, starting from the 1st of May!! Today's my last day working for someone else!
Question is, can I stay focused on my new work, or will I get distracted by the pile of parts in the corner of the workshop?

Yeah, I already know the answer lol

Self employment is a beautiful thing
It gives you a Wide angle on your life . The problems you will have is . Being self motivated , not making money unless your actual working, and if your like me being easily distracted by other things in life . It’s not a easy road to hoe but it can be a rewarding one especially when it comes to making your own decisions and having freedom to do what you want .
Best of luck .

Mods can I use the rims/tires and electric motor from last year? my build never got off the ground due to some unfortunate life circumstances, will be a different frame design ect. than last year, just the rims/tires/motor would be the same.

Looks like I'll be off to a slow start. Just starting a sign commission that will be taking up most of my time for the next couple of weeks. Perfect timing. :(
Hopefully you are getting paid ("commission") so it will make your time worthwhile. That's what you get for knowing 'how to do stuff'. :21: People keep asking you to do it!

Latest posts

Back