rear brake conversion bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a conversion bracket to change a schwinn single speed ballooner or midleweight frame to install a caliper brake when u have a non coaster 3 speed hub?

Yes. There's one that bolts on, made by Weinmann.

upload_2019-2-21_9-1-18.jpeg

IMGP1168_zps5d2d5b98.jpg

They are hard to find. I made my own adapter, although not as good looking as the Weinmann, it worked. I used two plates cut to match the frame and it just bolts on and can be adjusted.

50866_04a3e3041586830e4ed9ec4be82881cf.jpg

50867_48119feabeb45b019c67a219345222a3.jpg

is there a conversion bracket to change a schwinn single speed ballooner or midleweight frame to install a caliper brake when u have a non coaster 3 speed hub?
They are challenging to come across. Took me about 6 month to find one at a price I was willing to pay. They were offered to me in the $40-$75 range.

That's a neat little gadget! I was going to suggest using clamp-on cantilever bosses.

View attachment 90371
I need those as calipers don't give me enough braking power. I've only found the bolt on kind for the tubular forks like your pic shows. I'm still looking.

I need those as calipers don't give me enough braking power. I've only found the bolt on kind for the tubular forks like your pic shows. I'm still looking.

I've got an idea that a U-brake, mounted near the chain stays, might deliver the most elegant solution--low...almost hidden. There's an original Odyssey PITBULL here, just waiting for the 'right' project.

Here's a thought: modify a rear reflector bracket to mount the rear caliper brake. Cut it off with a hacksaw, round off the edges with a file, and drill it for the brake bolt. Here are some candidates for the procedure.
brackets.jpg

I gotta wonder if something like that Weinmann adapter couldn't be fashioned by grinding a relief across one of these bad boys, drilling a mounting hole, and adding a stud for the caliper assembly. The cost of this fitting less than two bucks at Home Depot.
everbilt-rod-coupling-nuts-822321-64_1000.jpg

I gotta wonder if something like that Weinmann adapter couldn't be fashioned by grinding a relief across one of these bad boys, drilling a mounting hole, and adding a stud for the caliper assembly. The cost of this fitting less than two bucks at Home Depot.
View attachment 90398
Was thinking of same yesterday. I'm almost sure it should work.

Some older Huffy mountain bikes had a plate that bolted onto the rear triangle that they used to mount cantilever brakes onto frames without braze-ons. I've scavenged them in the past for klunker projects.

Latest posts

Back