346 Basman "Silver Bullet"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like the looks/components you’ve chosen for this build.

Question, instead of changing the front wheel size, why not look into a shorter crankset?
I would think something 10-15cm shorter will let your toes clear the tire during turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Good news, i found same tires i used on 28 inch wheels for 26 inch rim, in three different width: 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0! So i would be able to keep same look on a smaller wheel too! :)
There are two reasons i am not going for shorter cranks. First is if it does not feel good without the fender, it would get even worse when i put it on! This is going to be a daily bike probably, so fender is a must. Second reason is that i am quite a tall guy, so my legs are long too. Pedaling on 155mm cranks is quite uncomfortable for me already, they feel short and i feel i have to push way harder to achieve same torque on the wheel. I'd gladly go for more then 175 actually, but they are too expensive since not many people use them. Now i have 170mm temporary cranks, and probably the ones i am going to use will be 175mm. Chances are this is going to be the bike i am going to go with to the Netherlands this summer, so i am planning to make few thousands km on it. I still might change my mind on which bike i am taking, but better to be prepared! And on the trips like that optimal ergonomy is crucial.

Last edited:
So, today i have started by changing the fork, polishing it, then cutting the steerer tube. I also had to change the crown race, since the one from this headset was somewhat thinner then the normal one.
ad2ff611844140ef08705341372e40bc.jpg

For sure while working on that bike my aluminium polishing skills grew a lot! This fork was sanded by hand without using a drill because of a complicated shape, from grit 400 to grit 2000.
23988a3ac6603f8fb87764c3dbf59325.jpg

Here how the bike sits on that fork now.
c47cdb7e554d90d3568b285a0c7028bb.jpg

While putting it on one of the bolts on the stem have failed, destroying two loops on the thread. Probably the bolts were changed, so i have put the longer ones instead.
fcaa16529c1e4e4a57312586bc8522b1.jpg

This is the shifting cable i am using.
bdd683e045ef4b0867fd1ec8e8f439d0.jpg

I was worried that i won't have any bolts that tighten the cable of the shifter and then lock into nexus hub. This was what i was thinking about for few days. And when i started to work on it i could not find any for like 20 minutes. But then i have relaxed, changed my activity, got some refreshing drink and voila! Found 4 of them in 4 different places, including one that was sold with the shifter. That reminds once again how important it is never to let yourself be stressed or worried!
e2eb33a95dabb048c30a58021ae8e9db.jpg

And here is the shifter i am using. It is the first time i am using something like that, so it would take time to get used to it. And obviously machined alu grips!
63c2d33d3f513deb9e88745d3739b0ed.jpg

Here is the cable laid down. Could not find transparent cable guides, but looks okay the way it is too.
01a1b6fff5f5b978e3d2eb91323a141c.jpg

What valve caps to expect on a build named silver bullet?
37b77306fba923df37081b4169966492.jpg

So, finally, the time to test it well! The front lamp is temporary too, just for the safety. I am planning to put something more sporty here.
2794a0bc16ac05caf45ef266fe26bb2b.jpg

27748fef3a030e90ff0a392b1c085464.jpg

And here is the bike after the ride around the block.
c444189b1dd734cda247b74c407a91ac.jpg

Sorry, forgot to take a pictures of the seat post i told about last time.

The results of the test-ride are not that blameless. First is i probably would need to make the seat post again, to have even deeper insertion. Second is even with the smaller wheel it still is quite close to the pedals. Third is that the bars are a bit too far from me, so i am not riding it perfectly straight. But most importantly the bike sits very very low, it scratches the ground with the pedals all the time, even once it touched the ground with the cable guide bolt on the belly. So i am definitely not making cranks even longer.
The good thing is that the bike is really very light, probably the lightest one i have. I'd need to measure it some time, but for sure it is under 20 kg. Overall its quite comfy and handles nice. And even without a fender on front i was not covered with mud.
But it is definitely too low for an international trip, where i have to sometimes go by country roads, it would be impossible to make something like that with this bike. For a daily rider it is also a little too low. And it feels a bit too small for me. I do not know what to do with it now. The worst case scenario is i sell it in the end.
I could put the shorter cranks, but then there is no reason for it to be so light if i can not pedal hard on it anyway. I could put one of those beautiful 3g triple tree forks to make it sit higher and fix the cranks clearance, but then it won't have this sporty look any more, i'd need even longer and higher bars, and it would increase the weight too.
So, for sure a lot to think about. For now i have decided i need to ride it more to understand what do i want to do with that bike, so i took it for the ride home.

Really like the looks/components you’ve chosen for this build.

Question, instead of changing the front wheel size, why not look into a shorter crankset?
I would think something 10-15cm shorter will let your toes clear the tire during turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the height and profile. Has the drag car look. That's coming from someone who's drag raced my hole life.

I was riding the bike for the whole day, and i am in serious doubt that i want to leave it for myself.
By one hand it is really nice looking and super light. By the other hand i hardly see a useful application to it. Too low to the ground for a daily bike, also would be hard to put on the rack and stuff. Too much difficulties with adjusting it optimally for my sizes. Same reasons won't allow me to take it to my summer trip around Europe. The sitting position does not feel right for really fast cycling. And just collecting it and having this bike for occasional ride would be a pity, i think such a beauty must be ridden and enjoyed. Even though i just like to have it and kind of childishly want to have it, i must admit that probably selling this bike and moving on to the next project would be the best idea. So i guess i am changing the plan. Going to put the good cranks on it, then put 28 inch wheel to this fork, but buy a super narrow tire for it so it would clear this fork, then put the caliper bake and leave it without a front fender. Then some final preparations and i am putting it for sale.
What i really want to have is some bike that is nice looking and very light, with crank-forward position, so i can ride it fast. But for my height i doubt there are any options like that on the market. Seems i would have to figure some option of a custom made alu frame in future. My Electra is a little too heavy, even though i like it in every other way. I guess it is because of a long steel triple tree fork, it adds it few extra kilo comparing to sporty alu forks.

Well, live and learn. I built a long, low Firebike that is lovely to look at, but no fun to ride. Though I do enjoy looking at it!
I was test-driving it for a few days until that happened:
7c01d67dd30d6902aa1905a11635d062.jpg

That is the bolt that was holding the cable guide on the belly of the frame. The roads in the city i live are too bad for such a low bike :) Luckily it did not scratch alu, but only the bolts. I have changed them now for a flat-head ones, but definitely this bike is asking for a more careful rider then myself. I am using my bikes too much.
Now i have ordered a new narrower tire to put 28 inch wheel in this fork, and some shorter cranks. After putting all that on the bike and fitting the caliper brake it is going to be finished. Then ready for sale.

Last edited:
Beautiful bike. Too bad it didn't work out, but your experience and that you shared has been very helpful.

I was considering building a cruiser with a similar frame, but I want a bike I can and will ride. It looks like I'll have to look in a different direction.

Beautiful bike. Too bad it didn't work out, but your experience and that you shared has been very helpful.

I was considering building a cruiser with a similar frame, but I want a bike I can and will ride. It looks like I'll have to look in a different direction.
I think it depends much on your body too. I see many people happily riding their basmans :) I am about 6.4 myself. I have tried to ride one few times, and this summer during CSI cruise in Netherlands i have even ridden one for significant amount of time and it was quite fine. Just now i realize why people tend to put shorter cranks on those bikes :) And also Netherlands are more flat, the bike pads there are better, all together that makes a difference.
So even though it did not work out for me the way i have imagined, i still think this is a great bike, and it worth to try one if you have an opportunity to :) Quite possible it would fit you better.

As i said in the neighboring post about my other build, i have a session at school, so lately i was very busy with school related stuff, and had not much time to pay to my bikes. But some progress is made, and i hope next week i have more time to organize the processes, clean up the garage, and then chances are i would make way more progress on all the builds. Here is what is done so far:

5207c9e6e3e04a2d808d3a21a6f460c4.jpg

I got the new narrower tire for the front, put it back to the other fork and 28 inch wheel and installed the new sprocket and crankset i have received. The dragster look is back and i love it.

0e4ad3bccdaa13b842d545640316fe8a.jpg

Here is a close up on the new parts. I think now i am only left with covering the tire lettering, put some decals, and the build is finally done. Time for some nice photo-shoot.

Latest posts

Back