Cheap and easy shifter mount and stickshift conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's gotta be slightly more than 1", no? I tried with a 1" cap (25.4mm) and it's just a little too small.
I'll see what I can find next time I'm at the hardware store.

It's gotta be slightly more than 1", no? I tried with a 1" cap (25.4mm) and it's just a little too small.
I'll see what I can find next time I'm at the hardware store.
I was thinking same thing but am taking shifter with me this morning to find the right one.....then to a golf shop maybe for a shaft scrap......

i used a 1" cap when i built mine. used a utility knife to carve most of the rubber off of the shifter to allow it to fit snugly. I also made a PVC mount (1/2"), and has held up better than expected over the past two years. Oh, but mine is bolted with 1/4" all thread through the length of the mount, not hose clamped. Not sure if that makes any sense, but i imagine that helped a lot with the rigidity and longevity of mine.

I was thinking same thing but am taking shifter with me this morning to find the right one.....then to a golf shop maybe for a shaft scrap......

I will give props to Cam as he had it.....it is a 1" PVC cap. There are several ideas that could have worked however the 1" cap was it....and even was a bit big without fitting the bolt. Seems genius to me.... $2.12 at home depot today.

Last edited:
I will give props to Cam as he had it.....it is a 1" PVC cap. There are several ideas that could have worked however the 1" cap was it....and even was a bit big without fitting the bolt. Seems genius to me.... $2.12 at home depot today.
What's the shifter you're using?

Came across these clamps while looking for a pipecap that fit. Must be something about the pipe size standard here, as one that fit perfectly proved pretty much impossible to find.
Anyway.
This is a pipe-clamp, used by plumbers for mounting the pipes to walls etc (I think). 26-28mm size fit perfectly. It's got a rubber fitting on it that fits snugly on the nexus shifter, and pretty much covers it all. It also has a fitting for a 10mm bolt already, which is perfect. I got 2 clamps and 1m of 10mm threaded rod (Here we call them threadrods, hehehe:p) for about 6 dollars. Perfect!
20170131_034515.jpg

20170131_034455.jpg
20170131_034446.jpg

Here's how it turned out. Still going to paint it and add a shift knob, but for the moment I'm knobless:p It has a more industrial look to it than if oyu'd use a pipecap, but that's exactly what I wanted:D Did it all with a hacksaw, took me about 10 minutes. Used a barend, hose-clamp, plumbers-clamp-thing and threaded rod. The only tricky part was fitting the barend, as it's 22.5mm or something instead of 22.2mm. This turned out for the better tho, as it made the shifting ALOT tighter. I can now use a very long shifter without fear of it shifting on its own! So I hit two birds with one stone. Very happy with it. Here it is:
20170131_221827.jpg

Here's how it turned out. Still going to paint it and add a shift knob, but for the moment I'm knobless:p It has a more industrial look to it than if oyu'd use a pipecap, but that's exactly what I wanted:D Did it all with a hacksaw, took me about 10 minutes. Used a barend, hose-clamp, plumbers-clamp-thing and threaded rod. The only tricky part was fitting the barend, as it's 22.5mm or something instead of 22.2mm. This turned out for the better tho, as it made the shifting ALOT tighter. I can now use a very long shifter without fear of it shifting on its own! So I hit two birds with one stone. Very happy with it. Here it is:
View attachment 44771
Looks real good! Congrats!

I am trying to root out a bandsaw amongst friends bcuz I want to trI'm my cap an 1/8"....will post pix soon tho!

Turned out ok. I think I'll make a new mount and shorten the stick abit. Add the wooden handle, and fix the coloring..
20170202_142905.jpg

In progress, the shifter for Muscle Spasm. I've got it mounted and working. Now to fab up a shifter handle...
I'm running it left side, "suicide" style.
ca57d19c21800e9085b7d27dedc61eb4.jpg
f7f35259b210d5001a563f7f62cae6ad.jpg

Last edited:
I still need a cap, the difference in my install is a threaded rod thru it in addition to the nub of handlebar being welded. So after I cap it I can dress it all up with a 1/4-20 acorn nut.
044e023c01efa4003c98658fc15d31a6.jpg
1c34cde8258a7d028f288d692e87fe17.jpg
eaee573f031043dc7a8f54b9db2eb7ff.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

I'm using a chain link fence clamp, piece of 7/8" rod with a 5/16" hole bored end to end, and a 5/16" carriage bolt to make my mount. Smaller clamp helps keep the shifter from twisting.
IMG_20190112_145122.jpg
A conduit clamp and some 5/16" all-thread are used for the lever. The end of the all thread meshes in one of the grooves of the shifter similar to how the bolt head does when using a PVC cap. 3/8" chrome plated brass plumbing supply line covers the 5/16" all-thread lever quite nicely. The round chrome cover on the face is a bathtub overflow cover.

I made mine with a 22.2 mm stem with a bendable clamp, cut it down to fit, slipped the twist shifter on and capped the end with a handlebar end plug. Automobile shift knobs often come with adapters with threads for M8, M10 and M12 rods. I used an M8 bolt on my homemade clamp. I consider this a prototype. Next time it will be cleaner and simpler, also with a smaller shift knob.

20190305_090002.jpg

20190305_090031.jpg

Great tutorial, thanks!

I've done something similar a while ago but failed because the cap that i've chosen was made from thin vacuum cleaner tube, it simply bent when i tried to shift. But it was nicely chromed :)

555b59f8335e.jpg

after a short mindstorm i've came up with this idea:

d904f101093c.jpg

basically, i've used a seat post clamp, the biggest one, as a PVC cap and tighten it with long M8 bolt.

How have you attached this to the frame???

Latest posts

Back