Coaster Brake Challenge 21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coaster Brake Challenge 21 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Coaster Brake Challenge is a mtb off road rally series where you can ride a bike armed only with a coaster brake. No gears, multi-speed internal hubs or additional hand or other kinds of brakes allowed. This event has been going on for over 10 years now and has a good turn out of 20-30 people, new blood is what we're seeking perhaps you've heard if it. If you like fun, amazing positive attitudes, and single speed mountain biking, this may be for you. 20.00 entry fee gets you a t-shirt, a patch and 4 rallies with food and prizes at the last run. Meet points are located on my website (see flyer pic for that info) as well as all you'll need to know to give it a shot. I have loaner bikes that you can use upon request. Hope to see you then!

I followed your Tour de Farce thread with great interest, and then I watched this video, and I noticed that there's a pretty good number of MTB/BMX-looking straight bar (edit: diamond) frames, and then some cantilever/klunker-looking bikes too. I gotta ask just for curiosity's sake: is it possible to be successful at this with a bike built up from a lower-end cantilever frame? Say, an '80s Huffy Good Vibrations or Murray Monterey? Or are the canti frames I'm seeing all old Schwinns or other pre-war battleships? Hope I don't come off as too much of a noob... I can tell this is some pretty hardcore stuff and not for the faint of heart, I'm just wondering about the specifics of the machinery. I did read on your site about the importance of using a serious hub as opposed to toy-grade junk. thanks!

Last edited:
I believe I saw a DelMar (Wally-Schwinn) in the video. You should order the 'Coaster Brake Challenge Guidebook', I picked one up on my last vacation and read it on the flight home. Philosophy, anecdotal stories, and a technical reference section on hubs...$10 well spent :113:.

I would think the only think you don't want to skimp on, is the fork. I think Paul has posted previously that the sunlite/pyramid bmx forks are down right dangerous off road (I've had failures on them in the past as well, fine for sidewalks, though). Whatever you use, I would make sure it is chromoly. I put together a Schwinn HD for my Son-in-law this fall that he did a 22mile fairly aggressive mtb ride on...I probably have $80 in the whole bike (has old chromoly mtb forks (1 1/8") and bmx bars/stem). The rear shimano coaster is pretty shot, but it wasn't in great shape to begin with (also had the benefit of a disk brake up front, so the cb didn't take the hammering these guys are giving theirs').

Jason

I followed your Tour de Farce thread with great interest, and then I watched this video, and I noticed that there's a pretty good number of MTB/BMX-looking straight bar frames, and then some cantilever/klunker-looking bikes too. I gotta ask just for curiosity's sake: is it possible to be successful at this with a bike built up from a lower-end cantilever frame? Say, an '80s Huffy Good Vibrations or Murray Monterey? Or are the canti frames I'm seeing all old Schwinns or other pre-war battleships? Hope I don't come off as too much of a noob... I can tell this is some pretty hardcore stuff and not for the faint of heart, I'm just wondering about the specifics of the machinery. I did read on your site about the importance of using a serious hub as opposed to toy-grade junk. thanks!
Oh sure there is some serious JUNK that rolls on this event. Only a few guys run modern mtb bikes that have been modded, most sue old cruisers and some 80's 90's mtb frames. The Huffy redrock is a sought after bike, alloy with horizontal dropouts. A lot of no name brand cruisers out there, I think hub choice and like rustygold said a good fork don't skimp on that..

Oh sure there is some serious JUNK that rolls on this event. Only a few guys run modern mtb bikes that have been modded, most sue old cruisers and some 80's 90's mtb frames. The Huffy redrock is a sought after bike, alloy with horizontal dropouts. A lot of no name brand cruisers out there, I think hub choice and like rustygold said a good fork don't skimp on that..

thanks! that's what I was looking for. I don't know that I'll ever get myself or any of my bikes in shape to enter, but the more info I have, the more likely it is. Gotta start somewhere.

I believe I saw a DelMar (Wally-Schwinn) in the video. You should order the 'Coaster Brake Challenge Guidebook', I picked one up on my last vacation and read it on the flight home. Philosophy, anecdotal stories, and a technical reference section on hubs...$10 well spent :113:.

I would think the only think you don't want to skimp on, is the fork. I think Paul has posted previously that the sunlite/pyramid bmx forks are down right dangerous off road (I've had failures on them in the past as well, fine for sidewalks, though). Whatever you use, I would make sure it is chromoly. I put together a Schwinn HD for my Son-in-law this fall that he did a 22mile fairly aggressive mtb ride on...I probably have $80 in the whole bike (has old chromoly mtb forks (1 1/8") and bmx bars/stem). The rear shimano coaster is pretty shot, but it wasn't in great shape to begin with (also had the benefit of a disk brake up front, so the cb didn't take the hammering these guys are giving theirs').

Jason

Thanks. Based on your recommendation, I just went to AtomicCycles' Fleabay store and ordered one. Sounds like good reading even if I never enter one.

thanks! that's what I was looking for. I don't know that I'll ever get myself or any of my bikes in shape to enter, but the more info I have, the more likely it is. Gotta start somewhere.

Thanks. Based on your recommendation, I just went to AtomicCycles' Fleabay store and ordered one. Sounds like good reading even if I never enter one.

Well yeah sure, why not give it a go? I'd try just doing some trail rides with a coaster just to get the hang of it before you join the challenge. A few guys are trying to win it and the rest just want to finish, we have a 69 and 71 year old that does the challenge for some inspiration.

I will also add that your psychical prowess and bike handling skills is what matter the most. One of the funny (or sad) anecdotes of the coaster brake challenge is how many time we shock riders on carbon fiber wonder bikes as we blow past them...

989f7b84-439d-4fa8-817e-d76a518cc783.jpg

One guy did get attacked by a dog but he got away, no blood this time. Another guy shot ahead of me on the downhill and then I saw him pasted up in the berm. I kept saying "slow is fast" to my self so I did not go over the edge. Tactics! :)

I know, that is why we must wring all the good stuff out of every moment!

Latest posts

Back