The Wild One * 53' Lincoln

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forkmock2.jpg

It's pink.
:eek: SALMON!
But yeah that's the rub. Finding a good coral/salmon that doesn't look pink. It may end up classic red...

Carl.

Last edited:
If you lean a little more to the 'peach' side of salmon, I think you can nail it, Carl. I keep feeling like the bar / seat combo is really going to take this bike over the top. And for the life of me, I can't envision what that looks like! :confused:

Especially with the banana seat and / or ape bar requirement. I think I'm leaning toward an elongated banana 'style' seat, and more of a traditional bar shape; maybe even flipped for that kind of cafe style rider.

The hardest part is the fact this bike is pretty small, even though it looks big in the photos. Hard to get the 'scale' without being there in person. Maybe you could park a 26 incher next to it for our 'eyes'?

Well we'll see what color is available in rattle can for the salmon/coral. As far as cafe racer? Yeah...no. Classic big cycle from the 50's - mod equivalent would be a bobber. While Triumph did some cafe style racers the Thunderbird wasn't one. I already know the direction I'm going with this build, here's another pic for some inspiration. This one a year or so older than Brando's, it's a 51'
1951.jpg

This one shows a nice view of the seat and rear fender, I'll be going for the same clean look.
WWO.jpg

If I can get this stance I'll be happy.
No front and a bobbed rear fender...hmm...
Still need the big headlight tho...

Carl.

I like that bottom 'inspirational' pic. And it looks like it has kind of a mini-ape bar on it too? Definitely a big head light is in order. A tank might really take it to where you want to go. :nerd:

I know, I know. You've got almost 3 more months. :grin:

Well we'll see what color is available in rattle can for the salmon/coral.
Carl.

If you can find the paint it in something other than rattle can there's always airbrushes. The Badger Air Gun is cheap, runs on replaceable propellant canisters, can be purchased at most hobby stores and will handle small areas easily. I wouldn't want to paint a whole frame with it but for something like your scallop it would be ideal.

Depending on your budget for paint, you can have any color single stage automotive paint you choose mixed and put into a rattle can at some automotive paint stores. I've had it done at an O'Reilly auto parts store. It cost around $25 for one can.

I know, I know. You've got almost 3 more months. :grin:
Yep. I gotta plenty of time to spin my wheels...
If you can find the paint it in something other than rattle can there's always airbrushes....
I actually have an airbrush and an old Speedy paint gun. But this time of year I'll likely be painting this one in my basement, and rattle cans are quick and easy.
Depending on your budget for paint, you can have any color single stage automotive paint you choose mixed and put into a rattle can at some automotive paint stores. I've had it done at an O'Reilly auto parts store. It cost around $25 for one can.
That's a good idea. We have a good automotive paint store here that does that, and I never think about them till later...

I do still like the classic black with the gold pin striping. That could still work with red scallops, but salmon and gold? No, I don't think so... So the things I've got nailed down are the black metalflake and the cut down bars and forks. I do have a couple of different seat ideas, and as much as I want a classic springer with a crash rail, I may have to slap some apes on it for the final picture... But I do have a small two pan banana and a polo springer that may go under the knife for a recombination if I can source or build a springer sissy.
All I can promise is no lime green shag...

Carl.

So a pair of mini apes and an extreme laid back seat post to get the seat 'down and back' and you've got it nailed guv'nor !

So that last pictured mockup in post #68 is an old picture from before I painted it green, Looking at that post and the Triumph I wonder about relacing my 3 spd hub onto a black rim. The original rims that came with the bike were painted over and they are wide old school ballooner rims. I may strip them just to see what's underneath. But the chrome on the current rim is nice... This is how it looked right before I tore it down.
(still needs a bit of wire wheel work before I prime it but my brass wheel is shot)
TWO 1.jpg

I've also been thinking that adding just a bit of length to the dropouts would give me the room for the seat to be mostly in front of the tire instead of above it, still using a layback seat post. But ugh! Adding links to the skiptooth chain is not fun... Luckily, time is on my side, yes it is...

Carl.

So it's finally stripped and I took a quick pic before the snow blew in... I also took a pic to show just how small this 20" wheeled muscle is.
00cb9f4a2c389053384ec23610582921.jpg
53fd3ed8be04c2390ba32c10cb405b75.jpg

Sent from the backseat of a crowded clown car

Thanks for the perspective shot, Carl. And I really dig the raw form of the finish. Even though I know it won't stay that way for long. :doh::bigsmile:
I've always liked bare metal but This is a MBBO so a flashy paintjob is just about mandatory. Now, I want it black so I've got to put some metelflake into it. Mostly because I'm also limiting myself to rattle can, although I can go to the local shop and have some made up in custom colors. I do still like that classic fade and I may fade something into the black, or scallops... or... or... o_O

Carl.

Stripping the frame down again (easy rear wheel and fork) and bringing it in to warm up. Tonight after I get back from going to see DA BEARS play, I'm hoping to get a coat of primer on. #paintinginthebasement

Carl.

Back from DA BEARS beating Minnesota... Got the frame primed.
1f4e88c207ed16e298f3a589db086d66.jpg

Sent from the backseat of a crowded clown car

86297_0c0661c3b543b904a55d326a1ab22d8a.jpg

I have been searching for such handlebars for a bicycle for ages, but the ones I have seen are always a bit too tall or too low.
This is insane - this is basically the bike I always pictured in my head working on my main build.

20181119_103056.jpg

@toro1978 The cruiser bars you have now look good but I could see something with angled bends rather than curves on your bike as well. You could use real motorcycle bars just as easily by changing your stem out, you can use a bigger bar. Most auto wreckers have a section for motorbikes and used bars are pretty cheap. Wald make a bar some folks call seagulls that you should be able to find pretty easy too.

Carl.

Well it's been almost a week and all I've done is touch up the primer coat. It's ready for paint that I don't have. How many times did I go out in the last week for food stuffs and such? I must have drove by the paint store 10 times but no, I never stopped. Soon, I promise. I'm still looking for some full fenders, I have bobbed chrome, but I'm dreaming full fenders in black metalflake to match the frame.

But then again...
Would I be crazy to consider old school black lacquer?

Carl.

So I painted it satin black over grey primer. That's just about as basic rat as you can get, but leaves me plenty of options to upgrade. (because FYI Muscle Bikes aren't typically Rats or patina'd) Like using dupacolor effex which is flat out the best metal flake in a clear coat that I've ever found. Cut so fine, in low light you can't see it, rather than looking like tiny dots. (I hate that) I may do ghost scallops in the effex coat and leave the rest of the frame satin, or just effex color scallops themselves. It's just a thought. Fenders are probably going to help me decide so I gotta get on em'.
e6b2775a2345bae0dc2040d156be6068.jpg

Oh yes, I painted it in my basement/ laundry room.

Carl.

Sent from the backseat of a crowded clown car via tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back