RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw together just enough parts to take it for a test ride. It went mostly as expected.

However, I did find out a couple of things that I wasn't happy about. First, the seat springs are pretty weak. My weight alone pushed it almost all of the way down just sitting still. That will have to be fixed for sure. Second, because it is sitting low with the 24" front end, the pedals will hit the pavement if I pedal while turning sharp. That will also have to be fixed. Lastly, the rear wheel felt very unstable and wobbly. That had me concerned about the drop outs until I remembered that I had only finger tightened the spokes and the tire wasn't fully inflated.:doh::whew: That will definitely be fixed.:blackeye::bigsmile:

Here's the first ride picture.
IMG_0046.jpg

Good luck working out the kinks. Curious how you might strengthen the seat springs.
Love the stance of the 26/24 wheels.

It looked original after it was painted!
Everything looked original on your bike! But some of us know the story behind it.:bandit: Very inspiring!

I found some springs today at the hardware store. I also picked up a couple of eye bolts. This will become a variation of the @léocwc saddle fix.:happy:
000_0130.jpg

So I had the washers welded to the eye bolts to create a 'cup' for the spring to sit in. The length of the bolt was also cut to fit.

000_0131.JPG

100_5573.jpg

It took about a half hour to reassemble all of the parts. With the additional spring holder in the way it was tricky getting the nut and washer inside the lower spring. I put it back on the bike to sit on it and the new springs did the trick! It feels much better now.

100_5575.jpg

100_5579.JPG

The nuts will get swapped out for some matching old ones and the spring will get aged to match but it may have to wait until after everything else is done. This little side project has taking up precious time to get the bike painted and finished.

Latest posts

Back