RRBBO13 Naked Trekie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best BO13 shirt pic yet. Post it on the shirt thread.
That indian mirror makes the bars look like a horse hoof

Best BO13 shirt pic yet. Post it on the shirt thread.

Thank you! Totally took that for the shirt thread.

That indian mirror makes the bars look like a horse hoof

Ha!...was wondering what that reminded me of. Should be incognito with just one on the ugly side. Supposed to work really well....not like I need to see behind me on this tho..:p

Stem took some work to get smooth. Saw a great tool for smoothing alum on here which I want to get but finished this all by hand. Used thin strips of sandpaper for a 2-handed belt sander technique. Some decent fiddling but I can see some power tools coming in handy for knocking the rest of this out.

stem4.jpg

Cap was a little rougher.

stem5.jpg

Still have to do the drill polish on the tapered spacer and one more regular spacer then can put it back on the bike.

stem6.jpg

Thank you so much fellas.

Are your polishing services available? If I ever need something polished you would be my first choice!!!:43:

Probably would..especially if it was something cool.

Got the stem re-installed after raiding another bike for an extra CF spacer. The stack of 3 alum spacers was too much. Had to break it up with the carbon. This is a good example of what we're going for with the bare carbon and polished alloy mix.

stem8.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm7.jpg

Lots more sanding to do...can kind of feel the clock ticking on this one...:p

Seat post clamp is looking tempting for the next bit of polishing.

wr5.jpg

10 day weekend next week...:)

I think i'll just drop off a bucket full of odds and ends for polishing next time I fly into Columbus for work :wink1:

With those polishing skills, you need to build a Silver King next.

With those polishing skills, you need to build a Silver King next.

:39:...yea Silver King would be fun to rub on!..:)

Finished up the factory stem I had started on a while back.

bstem1.jpg

some pics of the Bontragnolo conversion..:D

bstem2.jpg

bstem3.jpg

Still mostly goofing around going on here. Hit the bars with 2000 grit wetsand again. They were a bit cloudy in spots.

bar6.jpg

Need to get going on the wheels. Soon to be dis-assembled in the USA.

wh1.jpg

Need to get to the LBS for a bladed spoke tool. Some of the spokes have a little "Taiwan Twist"...:p

wh2.jpg

Finally picked out a seat....the road bike saddle search was mind-numbing. Wanted something light, comfy, shiny rails and looks like an aircraft.

Finally settled on this guy. May convert it to the rare "Stealth" version with a sharpie.

seat.jpg

Bought that tape at the LBS to use as practice tape but it's pretty nice. Gel padded and feels like suede.

Could probably find some perforated with white stitching to make it extra fancy.

Wow, you really went the extra length on that polish! I've done a little of this, so I know how much time it takes (and these paints can be THICK to get through). I also don't like all the advertising on newer road bikes and it's not like they give you a discount for the free advertising you give them! Already looks a lot better.

Hey guys...been doing tons of work but not accomplishing a whole lot.

Took the brakes off thinking they'd be a quick strip and polish but then ended up getting the files and drill out because I thought the shape of them was too boring.

brake2.jpg

brake3.jpg

brake5.jpg

File-tanium....she's ported and relieved.

brake4.jpg

They're shiny now at least.

brake1.jpg

Some random. sloppy drillium on the pad holders. Also cut off the little fins.

brake7.jpg

These were a real pain...still have derailleurs, brifters and cranks to get done. yikes.

Short story long that might be helpful information. I polished up the Shimano 105 9 speed brifters for my Major Taylor Iver after reading that they are non serviceable and cannot be disassembled (no disassemble, Stephanie!). "Bah!", I said (or something to that effect) and proceeded to disassemble and polish the levers only to find that they couldn't go back together without some kind of special tool due to the way the inner torsion springs are aligned in conflict with each others' reassembly position. I ended up with a newer Ultegra set and polished the handles on those while assembled. That said, IIRC, the outer handles could be removed if you take care to keep the shifting mechanism intact. Trust my memory at your own risk (I personally don't—I've known it too long).

Short story long that might be helpful information. I polished up the Shimano 105 9 speed brifters for my Major Taylor Iver after reading that they are non serviceable and cannot be disassembled (no disassemble, Stephanie!). "Bah!", I said (or something to that effect) and proceeded to disassemble and polish the levers only to find that they couldn't go back together without some kind of special tool due to the way the inner torsion springs are aligned in conflict with each others' reassembly position. I ended up with a newer Ultegra set and polished the handles on those while assembled. That said, IIRC, the outer handles could be removed if you take care to keep the shifting mechanism intact. Trust my memory at your own risk (I personally don't—I've known it too long).

Thank you for that info! Will have to think about taking these apart. Wanted to whittle some mass out of them like the brakes. May have to just leave them together. Maybe see if I can get the shift lever out of the way. :39:

These are 10 speed 105 but probably fairly similar. Bad thing is these aren't cheap to replace so will def need to be careful.

Another suspenseful cliff hanger...:eek:...for some reason I thought this would be a fun, simple build..:p

"It'll be fun," he said. It'll be simple," he said.:21:

Heed the warning by the Duchess, those shifters are not serviceable; hence the DO NOT TAKE APART warning label. (well, there should be one on there if it isn't !) If we had shifter malfunction or trauma it was always a 'replace' only repair in the shop.

And you give new meaning to relieving brake tension! :rolleyes: And bringing attention to your brakes at the same time.:bigsmile:

Cant believe how much effort you are putting into all this... I am exhausted looking at it,and my mind is boggled... Well done

Heed the warning by the Duchess, those shifters are not serviceable; .

That almost sounds like a triple dog dare...:p...but it does look kind of scary in there.

br1.jpg

Will have to just do what I can with them in place. I think if I prop the shifter out I should be able to work on the brake lever. Good thing is the bike can remain functional while that's going on. Just need to watch the shavings.

br2.jpg

Have some new rubber hoods and a new face plate to replace the damaged one with. Not having to worry about dis-assembly should save some time.

The calipers look great!

I also noticed the BO13 shirt in the reflection.:bandit:

Thank you! Was trying to get a good one but need to be in the dark with light just hitting the shirt to get the best reflection. Here's another one. Makes me want to put a cool sticker under the seat so it reflects in the rear caliper.

brake8.jpg

Pleased with the way they look on the bike.

brake9.jpg

brake10.jpg

She's a runner again. Took it for a brief ride today.

wr6.jpg

Cant believe how much effort you are putting into all this... I am exhausted looking at it,and my mind is boggled... Well done

Thank you...Glad the amount of work is coming across. Project is living up to the bikes name (Mad One)..:D

Your polishing skills are second to none, you're obviously a detail oriented person. I have a few bare metal bikes that could use your attention

Thank you brother!

Helped the kid with his bike yesterday. He wanted to try this road bike seat on his '68 Stingray junior so we did that and took a ride.

junior.jpg

It's just like my shorty frame sting ray I had when I was his age..(except mine didn't have a 7 speed and v-brakes).

I was riding the 10 speed '71 Stardust and the Junior got a good dusting..:21:..sorry sonny..:D

stardust.jpg

Alright...time to get whittling on these brifters.

Latest posts

Back